- 12-25-2012, 09:14 PM #1
My wife & I recently got Lumia's 920 & 820 respectively. The 820 is running ok (apart from not being able to send / receive MMS), howver I've got a numbers of issues with the 920 (my carrier is Telstra in Australia) :-
1. Can't send receive MMS - Telstra advised i need to get the MMS settings from Nokia as the ones they were given don't work, and the page has been removed from their website with the link they were given.
2. After 2 days i received notification that I had 14 updates waiting for me in the store. I updated all 14 apps. The phone then became unstable, and any attempt to get in to messaging, IE, people, email or settings either resulted in returning me to the home screen, or opening Nokia maps. After doing the hold down etc factory reset, I was ok again, then got the massaging that i had 14 updateswaiting, i installed the updates, and i'm now in the same position.
3. Can't transfer files via Tap & Send between our phones when both phones have bluetooth turned on
Are these known software issues that need a patch, or do i have a dodgy install of WP8 ?
01-06-2013, 05:44 PM #2
- 2 Posts
Did you have to unlock your Lumia 920?
I unlocked mine from Orange UK and I'm now with 3 UK but I'm having the same problem - can't send MMS.Also, I couldn't pair my N95 with the 920 to sync my contact list so I had to do it manually.
3 UK has advised that if i try to instal Nokia Network Setup from Nokia market place and it doesn't resolve the issue, then there is nothing they can do. 3 UK doesn't have the MMS configuration for this phone. I have done some searches online and this app that is supposed to help is no longer available from Nokia to download and many users are reporting the MMS failure.
It seems Nokia has run out of ideas at this point. I've been a loyal customer for over 10 years but this is the last straw. Once I'm done with this 920 I'll give Nokia a wide berth. At this point I wouldn't recommend them to any one. I've paid so much for this phone only to get nothing but grief and misery.
So you are not alone. This issue affects a lot of users and if anyone on here has heard or knows what the solution is, please share.
01-06-2013, 06:32 PM #3
- 107 Posts
I am using crazy johns here in Australia...
1. MMS settings apparently are automatically detected by the phone and automatically assigned. Mine seems to work automatically without a problem. But I did try to edit it manually....you can do it manually by accessing settings > access point > create new access point > and use the settings from Telstra for MMS and internet. It worked fine both ways (automatic or manual) for me.
2. My phone received 13 updates the other day as well and I installed fine (thankfully). But if it gave you problem, I suggest installing the updates > shut down > press volume down + power button (soft reset instead of factory reset) > see how it goes.
3. Apparently tap + send only works well between WP mobiles I think (reading other threads, I recall it has to do with copyright issues between tech companies for protocols used to transfer stuffs). You can tap + send with android phones but I think only certain files work...
- 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM #4
Ok...I got myself sort of resolved.
The phone was unlocked btw as it was an outright purchase, and when it connected to the network it didn't download the MMS settings.
Nokia advised me to get the MMS settings from my carrier, which took a lot of messing about for them to find out what they were (put me on hold for 15 mins) speaking internally to their tech team, then finally with Nokia. We got the settings from Telstra and it was all ok. (My wife's 820 now works a treat !)
As with regard to the app download problem on the 920 I worked through it with a guy from Nokia, did a few factory resets using the side keys, but still couldn't aceess settings, IE, contacts & messaging, instead it would either return to the main screen, or open maps or drive. Nokia gave me a ticket number and it's gone back.
- 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM #7
We purchased ours outright from HN too....the 820 is a great phone, and the camera is excellent too. I only went for the 920 as it has bigger on board storage, but you can expand the 820 with a micro sd. Not sure if it will be a factor for your brother, but the 820 doesn't support wireless charging...you need to buy a charging case (replaces the existing case, it adds around 1mm to the size) to use it on the wireless charging pads you can get for the 920.
I agree, i think i just got a bad one.
- By PFI-Guy in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 13Last Post: 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM
- By Pete C in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 17Last Post: 12-31-2012, 06:12 AM
- By Strings78 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 5Last Post: 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
- By boss.king in forum ZuneReplies: 1Last Post: 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
- By gabbai in forum HTC TrophyReplies: 13Last Post: 06-14-2011, 01:03 AM