Lumia 920 become hot above the camera.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody experience the same thing? The Lumia 920 suddenly become too hot on the area above the camera that it cause the front side of the touchscreen also become very hot.
I wonder if it is because of the network provider or the phone itself.
And also I was testing my parents Lumia 920 by using Whatsapp and it suddenly gets hot too. Is this normal for Whatsapp?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing.. My phone is warm al the time.

My guess is it's a stuck process jamming the CPU (where it's getting hot is where it's located). Hopefully microsft addresses the issues and rolls out an udate.

Try doing a soft reset.

loukkis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
NFC (Tap & Send) enabled?
I don't believe that NFC has anything to do with battery draining. I've had it on from the very first day of my Lumia, and it never has caused anything. Few software has been pain in the ass, some search app and other that i can't remember. I believe that draining issues are caused by bad 3rd party programs, rather than wp8. I could be wrong thou.. ;)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe that NFC has anything to do with battery draining. I've had it on from the very first day of my Lumia, and it never has caused anything. Few software has been pain in the ass, some search app and other that i can't remember. I believe that draining issues are caused by bad 3rd party programs, rather than wp8. I could be wrong thou.. ;)

You are. For me , I experienced it straight out of the box.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing.. My phone is warm al the time.

My guess is it's a stuck process jamming the CPU (where it's getting hot is where it's located). Hopefully microsft addresses the issues and rolls out an udate.

Try doing a soft reset.

What I did usually is quickly turn on the Airplane mode, and then leave it for a while. And when it cooled down, I turn off the airplane mode again. And the phone's temperature is back to normal again. I really suspect this must because of the network provider. Is Soft Reset is the same as hold down the power button until it says goodbye and then turn it on again?

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
NFC (Tap & Send) enabled?
Nope. The first few days, it was enabled, but then when I switch off the network (turn on the airplane mode) it became normal again. Not hot. But I realized, when I disabled the NFC, it does improve the battery life quite significant.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I really think it has to do with the network antenna and searching for networks . When I am traveling on the train and using the phone, as I go through areas with weak signal the phone gets warm. If I choose to use the airport mode during those times then it doesn't heat up at all.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets hot any time I play a game that is CPU-intensive. Age of Sorcery in particular will get it humming in a few minutes. That's just what happens when you have a passively-cooled CPU without any airflow.

datisdesign

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
my phone was charging last day and back of the camera got too hot, when I clicked the camera button, the phone resets ! I tried again and again and same thing happened !
Unplugged the phone from charger and let it to cool down and camera was working again !

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
CPU / SoC i just getting to hot. Still something wrong with firmware and os itself. I've compared my lumia 920 to my dads 820. Both have the same soc and his phone never gets warm even when surfing on internet. My phone at that time is really warm above camera (but not as hot to reset the phone).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that the phone is warmer if I'm taking pics/videos for an extended period of time but never hot. However, it does get really hot when using Nokia Drive.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I really think it has to do with the network antenna and searching for networks . When I am traveling on the train and using the phone, as I go through areas with weak signal the phone gets warm. If I choose to use the airport mode during those times then it doesn't heat up at all.

I do really hope this is the main cause. I will try to switch to other provider after I use up this month data plan with my current provider. True, when I use airplane mode, it doesn't heat up at all

Mine gets hot any time I play a game that is CPU-intensive. Age of Sorcery in particular will get it humming in a few minutes. That's just what happens when you have a passively-cooled CPU without any airflow.
Yeap, I wouldn't mind if it is hot because of me playing CPU-intensive game. But isn't this phone using the latest Snapdragon with 28 mm technology, which is supposed to reduce a lot of heat and consume less power? Because less power means less heat.

my phone was charging last day and back of the camera got too hot, when I clicked the camera button, the phone resets ! I tried again and again and same thing happened !
Unplugged the phone from charger and let it to cool down and camera was working again !

I think it's the temperature sensor that prevent the camera from working, because the heat might damage the camera if it is used at that temperature. Just like the computer CPU that will automatically shut down, if it is too hot.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
CPU / SoC i just getting to hot. Still something wrong with firmware and os itself. I've compared my lumia 920 to my dads 820. Both have the same soc and his phone never gets warm even when surfing on internet. My phone at that time is really warm above camera (but not as hot to reset the phone).

Another possible problem is due to the firmware and also the un-optimize apps.

I've noticed that the phone is warmer if I'm taking pics/videos for an extended period of time but never hot. However, it does get really hot when using Nokia Drive.

A lot of users have complained that Nokia Drive drained their battery pretty fast. And when the drain is too fast, it will cause the phone to heat up. Just close the app and then on Settings -> system -> background tasks -> Click on Nokia Drive+ Beta and blocked it from running in the background, even when it's not open.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A lot of users have complained that Nokia Drive drained their battery pretty fast. And when the drain is too fast, it will cause the phone to heat up. Just close the app and then on Settings -> system -> background tasks -> Click on Nokia Drive+ Beta and blocked it from running in the background, even when it's not open.

Yup, I did that after I realized that Nokia Drive was making my phone hot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb