- 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM #1
Some say go to about and reset phone. Some say do the 3 key combination. Are there any differences between these two methods?"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."
- 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM #2
Hard reset: Settings | About | Reset Your Phone | Confirm twice. Then the phone will reset back to factory settings. This is the only one that should be called a hard reset. Also referred to as a factory reset by some.
Cold reset / warm reset / restart....... This is where things get fuzzy. Different people mean different things. I'm not going to give them names because of that.
First, simplest. Press the power button and hold it, slide the lock screen down. Phone says goodbye, and shuts off. You turn it back on.
Second, for use when the phone freezes and that one doesn't work. Hold the power button and the volume down button (for Nokia - I don't know if this works on HTC or others, or if this is a Nokia hardware feature). Phone restarts.
Third, power the phone off as you did the first way, but don't turn it back on. Plug in power, and at the same time hold down the down volume button. Hold it until an exclamation point appears on the screen, then let go. Phone will restart. I've seen this posted as direction from Nokia engineers to attempt to resolve the issue of phones shutting off or rebooting. Not sure if this one works on HTC or other hardware, or if it is a Nokia feature.
Hope this helps clear things up for you.
- 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM #3"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."
12-26-2012, 06:33 PM #5
- 143 Posts
Both the settings about method and the key combination referenced above are a hard reset. Settings about does exactly the same as the key combo. The reason for the key combo is for when your phone won't boot. Both methods reset the phone back to factory defaults.
- 12-26-2012, 07:28 PM #6
Make sure you are prepared to flash the phone's firmware after it bricks when you do the hard reset.. I just hard reset my 920 for the first time and now I'm going through the flashing process... It's so common there is a sticky thread here about it.
- 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM #7
12-27-2012, 06:40 AM #9
- 143 Posts
- By Rocket_Girl in forum Samsung Focus S 4GReplies: 8Last Post: 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM
- By ronikaps in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 3Last Post: 12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
- By joshpollard in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 11-10-2011, 07:42 PM
- By markwill in forum HTC Arrive / 7 ProReplies: 6Last Post: 05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
- By IAmCole in forum Samsung FocusReplies: 0Last Post: 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM