Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hopmedic
  1. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Some say go to about and reset phone. Some say do the 3 key combination. Are there any differences between these two methods?
  2. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Hard reset: Settings | About | Reset Your Phone | Confirm twice. Then the phone will reset back to factory settings. This is the only one that should be called a hard reset. Also referred to as a factory reset by some.

    Cold reset / warm reset / restart....... This is where things get fuzzy. Different people mean different things. I'm not going to give them names because of that.

    First, simplest. Press the power button and hold it, slide the lock screen down. Phone says goodbye, and shuts off. You turn it back on.

    Second, for use when the phone freezes and that one doesn't work. Hold the power button and the volume down button (for Nokia - I don't know if this works on HTC or others, or if this is a Nokia hardware feature). Phone restarts.

    Third, power the phone off as you did the first way, but don't turn it back on. Plug in power, and at the same time hold down the down volume button. Hold it until an exclamation point appears on the screen, then let go. Phone will restart. I've seen this posted as direction from Nokia engineers to attempt to resolve the issue of phones shutting off or rebooting. Not sure if this one works on HTC or other hardware, or if it is a Nokia feature.

    Hope this helps clear things up for you.
    Laura Knotek and dabdoub81 like this.
  3. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Hard reset: Settings | About | Reset Your Phone | Confirm twice. Then the phone will reset back to factory settings. This is the only one that should be called a hard reset. Also referred to as a factory reset by some.

    Cold reset / warm reset / restart....... This is where things get fuzzy. Different people mean different things. I'm not going to give them names because of that.

    First, simplest. Press the power button and hold it, slide the lock screen down. Phone says goodbye, and shuts off. You turn it back on.

    Second, for use when the phone freezes and that one doesn't work. Hold the power button and the volume down button (for Nokia - I don't know if this works on HTC or others, or if this is a Nokia hardware feature). Phone restarts.

    Third, power the phone off as you did the first way, but don't turn it back on. Plug in power, and at the same time hold down the down volume button. Hold it until an exclamation point appears on the screen, then let go. Phone will restart. I've seen this posted as direction from Nokia engineers to attempt to resolve the issue of phones shutting off or rebooting. Not sure if this one works on HTC or other hardware, or if it is a Nokia feature.

    Hope this helps clear things up for you.
    Thanks I'm aware of the different methods to reset.

    MY question is if there is a difference between going to about and pressing reset as opposed to the third method you posted with the key combination.
  4. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Hard reset: Settings | About | Reset Your Phone | Confirm twice. Then the phone will reset back to factory settings. This is the only one that should be called a hard reset. Also referred to as a factory reset by some.

    Cold reset / warm reset / restart....... This is where things get fuzzy. Different people mean different things. I'm not going to give them names because of that.

    First, simplest. Press the power button and hold it, slide the lock screen down. Phone says goodbye, and shuts off. You turn it back on.

    Second, for use when the phone freezes and that one doesn't work. Hold the power button and the volume down button (for Nokia - I don't know if this works on HTC or others, or if this is a Nokia hardware feature). Phone restarts.

    Third, power the phone off as you did the first way, but don't turn it back on. Plug in power, and at the same time hold down the down volume button. Hold it until an exclamation point appears on the screen, then let go. Phone will restart. I've seen this posted as direction from Nokia engineers to attempt to resolve the issue of phones shutting off or rebooting. Not sure if this one works on HTC or other hardware, or if it is a Nokia feature.

    Hope this helps clear things up for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Thanks I'm aware of the different methods to reset.

    MY question is if there is a difference between going to about and pressing reset as opposed to the third method you posted with the key combination.
    Your answer in bold. That's the only way to restore it back to factory.
  5. VineRider's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    213 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Both the settings about method and the key combination referenced above are a hard reset. Settings about does exactly the same as the key combo. The reason for the key combo is for when your phone won't boot. Both methods reset the phone back to factory defaults.
  6. slashd0t's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Make sure you are prepared to flash the phone's firmware after it bricks when you do the hard reset.. I just hard reset my 920 for the first time and now I'm going through the flashing process... It's so common there is a sticky thread here about it.
  7. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by VineRider View Post
    Both the settings about method and the key combination referenced above are a hard reset. Settings about does exactly the same as the key combo. The reason for the key combo is for when your phone won't boot. Both methods reset the phone back to factory defaults.
    Ummm.... On what phone do the key combinations take it back to factory??? Not a Nokia. I've done it. Have you?
  8. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
    Make sure you are prepared to flash the phone's firmware after it bricks when you do the hard reset.. I just hard reset my 920 for the first time and now I'm going through the flashing process... It's so common there is a sticky thread here about it.
    Well I did mine with the about->reset and did not brick.

    Still experiencing problems with my phone so was wondering if the key combo was any different.
  9. VineRider's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    213 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Ummm.... On what phone do the key combinations take it back to factory??? Not a Nokia. I've done it. Have you?
    http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/p...oubleshooting/

    This link explains the process. Read the FAQ on"how do I reset my Nokia Lumia if it does not work properly".
  10. generalsu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    The hard reset combo key does not work for me. I get a soft reset instead.

Similar Threads

  1. Lost data connection...hard reset
    By Rocket_Girl in forum Samsung Focus S 4G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 12:06 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM
  3. Lose Podcast Subscriptions After Hard Reset?
    By joshpollard in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 08:42 PM
  4. Forced to hard reset
    By markwill in forum HTC Arrive / 7 Pro
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 12:28 PM
  5. Restore from Backup after Hard Reset
    By IAmCole in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

";