Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. hioctane's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
       #1  
    Is there OBD II reader/logger app like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en ?
  2. robawest's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #2  
    Have you tried OBD auto doctor? I just played with the app and my bluetooth dongle, works good. I prefer obd autodoctor over the others since I was able to verify that it's working before doing the purchase. Recommend! OBDAutoDoctor | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanked by:
  3. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by robawest View Post
    Have you tried OBD auto doctor? I just played with the app and my bluetooth dongle, works good. I prefer obd autodoctor over the others since I was able to verify that it's working before doing the purchase. Recommend! OBDAutoDoctor | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Two thumbs up on this app. Bought a cheap BT sensor on eBay for $8 and it works perfectly. Had to pay the $7.99 for the Pro version to view my sensor data in real time, but it was worth every penny.
  4. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    #4  
    Can you link which one you got from ebay? ... thx

    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Two thumbs up on this app. Bought a cheap BT sensor on eBay for $8 and it works perfectly. Had to pay the $7.99 for the Pro version to view my sensor data in real time, but it was worth every penny.
  5. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDboyz View Post
    Can you link which one you got from ebay? ... thx
    Wow, they jacked up the price but it's still worth it. Super Mini Blue ELM327 V1 5 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Adapter Scanner Torque Android | eBay

    It also came with a mini-dvd with software for different OSes. I even installed it on my old Palm TX with the Palm .prc files in the dvd.
    Thanked by:
  6. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    #6  
    Bought it, and will let you know how it goes.

    Thanks,

    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Wow, they jacked up the price but it's still worth it. Super Mini Blue ELM327 V1 5 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Adapter Scanner Torque Android | eBay

    It also came with a mini-dvd with software for different OSes. I even installed it on my old Palm TX with the Palm .prc files in the dvd.
  7. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    #7  
    Not sure if I'm doing any wrong here, but it did not work. When I hooked up into the car, power, OBD, and PC lights flashing. Then after that, the Power light was the only thing that on.
    When I tried to pair it up with my Nokia 920, it did ask for the code, and paired up just fine. However, the connection only stay on for like 15sec, and it went back to not connected.
    My car is Toyota Venza 2011.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Wow, they jacked up the price but it's still worth it. Super Mini Blue ELM327 V1 5 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Adapter Scanner Torque Android | eBay

    It also came with a mini-dvd with software for different OSes. I even installed it on my old Palm TX with the Palm .prc files in the dvd.
  8. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDboyz View Post
    Not sure if I'm doing any wrong here, but it did not work. When I hooked up into the car, power, OBD, and PC lights flashing. Then after that, the Power light was the only thing that on.
    When I tried to pair it up with my Nokia 920, it did ask for the code, and paired up just fine. However, the connection only stay on for like 15sec, and it went back to not connected.
    My car is Toyota Venza 2011.
    I'm not a flag-waving patriot but I only buy American cars. I'm sure Toyota is onboard with OBDII so it may be a connection glitch. I do remember that the typical "0000" pin did not work. I had to use "1234" to get a good pairing. The app takes about 15-20 seconds to establish a link with the onboard computer and then starts downloading data to the phone. Also, don't close the app by hitting the Windows key and try to re-open the app because the uplink is lost. Do your pairing from the BT settings then open the app.
  9. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I'm not a flag-waving patriot but I only buy American cars. I'm sure Toyota is onboard with OBDII so it may be a connection glitch. I do remember that the typical "0000" pin did not work. I had to use "1234" to get a good pairing. The app takes about 15-20 seconds to establish a link with the onboard computer and then starts downloading data to the phone. Also, don't close the app by hitting the Windows key and try to re-open the app because the uplink is lost. Do your pairing from the BT settings then open the app.
    All US purchased cars after 1996 are OBDII. It's part of emissions standards and includes the secondary o2 sensor (after the catalytic converter).

    EDIT: Maybe this page will help...
    http://www.obdii.com/connector.html
  10. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    #10  
    Lolz ...

    So it doesn't work with the free version. After I bought the app, it connected right away and worked well.

    Thanks,

    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I'm not a flag-waving patriot but I only buy American cars. I'm sure Toyota is onboard with OBDII so it may be a connection glitch. I do remember that the typical "0000" pin did not work. I had to use "1234" to get a good pairing. The app takes about 15-20 seconds to establish a link with the onboard computer and then starts downloading data to the phone. Also, don't close the app by hitting the Windows key and try to re-open the app because the uplink is lost. Do your pairing from the BT settings then open the app.
  11. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #11  
    Thanks, I've been out of the business for over 20 years but I still do my own work. Beats the heck out of using an oscilloscope and timing light.
  12. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    #12  
    OBDAutoDoctor works great. Just wish it can support oil life sensor as well.
  13. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDboyz View Post
    OBDAutoDoctor works great. Just wish it can support oil life sensor as well.
    If that isn't the most annoying feature ever put into a car's system, I don't know what is. I take a sharpie and write the next oil change mileage on it.
  14. yeewiz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    #14  
    fatclue_98, what phone are you using? I bought a BAFXPro device and it would not pair to my 920. Just wondering if I'll have better luck with this OBD device ...
  15. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeewiz View Post
    fatclue_98, what phone are you using? I bought a BAFXPro device and it would not pair to my 920. Just wondering if I'll have better luck with this OBD device ...
    I'm using a Lumia 620 (AIO Wireless). As you can see, myself and MDboyz have had success.
    Thanked by:
    yeewiz 
  16. yeewiz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I'm using a Lumia 620 (AIO Wireless). As you can see, myself and MDboyz have had success.
    Thanks! I've ordered the same device so we'll see in a couple of days whether I'll find success
  17. yeewiz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    #17  
    Well, I can report that this device will not pair with an AT&T Nokia 920. The symptoms are: the 920 BT menu will discover the OBDII device and say "tap to pair". You tap and the menu will ask for the code. I type 1234 and the menu then says connecting and then connected. 10 secs. later, it will say not connected. I don't even need to launch an app. The issue is just getting the device to pair.

    Since I also bought the BAFXPro OBDII device and it also connects for 10 secs. and then disconnects, I'm going to conclude that there's a problem with the BT implementation in the AT&T 920. I'm thinking/hoping/dreaming/praying the Amber update will fix this BT issue. :-)

    Interestingly, my 920 pairs just fine with my Motorola H17 earphone, and my 2007 BMW, so some BT stuff works.
  18. air2liquid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #18  
    That is the normal behavior for an OBD2 adapter on your WP8. Once you have it paired, and even if it disconnects, open your OBD2 application and it will find the adapter in the list of Bluetooth connections and start the connection again.

    At least that's how AutoGaugeX and Dash works.
    Thanked by:
    yeewiz 
  19. yeewiz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    #19  
    air2liquid, thanks, OBDAutoDoctor doesn't work like that. Tried it again to be sure and it will lose the BT connection just as I reported in the BT menu and app is unable to report anything as it has no connections.

    But because of curiosity, I tried a trial copy of AutoGaugeX and you're right, it does work. The app actually wants the OBD device to be DISconnected and then the app does some hocus-pocus connection magic and I was able to stay connected and get real time car data. I bought the app and I was able to see error codes. I have to agree with one of the reviews of AutoGaugeX and that is there's a 1 sec delay from real-time in the gauges, for example, RPMs. Also, AGX reports an error code but when I used Torque on my wife's Note 2 with the BAFX device and it reported no errors. Hmmm, I'll have to dig deeper into that. But thank you again!
  20. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by air2liquid View Post
    That is the normal behavior for an OBD2 adapter on your WP8. Once you have it paired, and even if it disconnects, open your OBD2 application and it will find the adapter in the list of Bluetooth connections and start the connection again.

    At least that's how AutoGaugeX and Dash works.
    That's how the OBDAutoDoctor works too. The dongle is powered by the car's circuitry but it will not maintain a connection unless the app itself is running.

    As for the delay, I suspect that's a bluetooth issue. Every BT keyboard, mouse or remote I've ever used has a slight delay.
  21. yeewiz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    That's how the OBDAutoDoctor works too. The dongle is powered by the car's circuitry but it will not maintain a connection unless the app itself is running.

    As for the delay, I suspect that's a bluetooth issue. Every BT keyboard, mouse or remote I've ever used has a slight delay.

    1. well, OBDAutoDoctor doesn't connect long-term for me. Even the app says you have to connect in BT menu before starting the app. As opposed to AutoGaugeX which requires you to disconnect the OBD device before starting AGX.

    2. I don't think BT has a delay. I use a BT mouse on a Surface and BT keyboard on a Dell laptop. No noticeable delay aside from coming out of sleep mode. In fact, running a BAFX OBD device with the Torque app on Android has no delay in reporting engine metrics such as RPM.
  22. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    #22  
    Do you use the free version of OBDAutoDoctor?. Mine didn't work with it. I gambled and paid for it. It works with the paid version for me. I had the same issue like yours with my N920 :)_ ...
    The BT connected and disconnected right after around 10sec or so. The paid version is around $7, so it's up to you to gamble it or not :) ... Good luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by yeewiz View Post
    Well, I can report that this device will not pair with an AT&T Nokia 920. The symptoms are: the 920 BT menu will discover the OBDII device and say "tap to pair". You tap and the menu will ask for the code. I type 1234 and the menu then says connecting and then connected. 10 secs. later, it will say not connected. I don't even need to launch an app. The issue is just getting the device to pair.

    Since I also bought the BAFXPro OBDII device and it also connects for 10 secs. and then disconnects, I'm going to conclude that there's a problem with the BT implementation in the AT&T 920. I'm thinking/hoping/dreaming/praying the Amber update will fix this BT issue. :-)

    Interestingly, my 920 pairs just fine with my Motorola H17 earphone, and my 2007 BMW, so some BT stuff works.
  23. yeewiz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDboyz View Post
    Do you use the free version of OBDAutoDoctor?. Mine didn't work with it. I gambled and paid for it. It works with the paid version for me. I had the same issue like yours with my N920 :)_ ...
    The BT connected and disconnected right after around 10sec or so. The paid version is around $7, so it's up to you to gamble it or not :) ... Good luck.
    OK, I went ahead and paid for the Pro version of OBDAutoDoctor. It's now $7.99. Well still no joy. So, a couple of questions:

    1) what steps did you use to connect up?
    2) who's your service provider?

    thanks!
  24. air2liquid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #24  
    Sure, glad to help.

    Because AGX is polling every sensor on every pass, there's a delay. They are working on speeding that process up by only polling the sensors that are on screen (my understanding).
  25. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    #25  
    1) Just hook up the OBD and turn on my engine. Then just run the OBDAutoDoctor app.
    2) Not sure what you want to ask here ... my phone service provider?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeewiz View Post
    OK, I went ahead and paid for the Pro version of OBDAutoDoctor. It's now $7.99. Well still no joy. So, a couple of questions:

    1) what steps did you use to connect up?
    2) who's your service provider?

    thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
  2. Adobe Reader X App Errors
    By Ivanr53 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 02:25 AM
  3. Doppelreader: A Free Google Reader App for WP7
    By kingofmyworld324 in forum App Spotlight
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 04:50 PM
  4. WP7 Square Credit Card Reader App?
    By DK in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 03:05 PM
  5. RSS App - certain Google Reader feeds ??
    By ibmkahm in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Posting Permissions