Nokia Lumia 920 Frequency Bands

chiron09

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I was just checking out Nokia India's website Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - India
and it shows that the phone is suppose to support all these bands:
GSM 850
GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
WCDMA Band V (850)
WCDMA Band VIII (900)
WCDMA Band IV (1700)
WCDMA Band II (1900)
WCDMA Band I (2100)
LTE 700
LTE 800
LTE 850
LTE 900
LTE 1700
LTE 1800
LTE 1900
LTE 2100
LTE 2600

How is that possible? Is it because of the new Portico update (Related to Firmware) o[FONT=Georgia, Times, serif]r is it limited by the SOC (related to hardware)? Any thing would be helpful because that specific model would be very useful if you travel a lot because you would get 4G LTE everywhere.[/FONT]

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I believe they are getting the truly international unlocked version of the phone which is different than, say, what one might get in the U.S. on AT&T. When Rogers first rolled out the 920 in their smaller rollout, a few int'l unlocked phones showed up, but I don't know if that was every phone and I also am unsure if they continue to sell the int'l unlocked version.

It is possible, however, to have a phone that is tuned to all those bands, yes.

chiron09

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My phone is from Poland and its unlocked by branded by Orange. Is there anyway you can test whether or not all the frequency bands are there or not? Its kind of odd that Nokia would make so many variants of the same phone so I am thinking it might just be a firmware that enables/disables it according to different regions. Do you think thats the case or am I thinking too much?

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
It is listed in error. The UK and other sites also had this listed erroneously. It is technically all the bands a 920 could support, but the hardware is only pentaband (can only do 5 bands) and thus the firmware and antennae are different for the models. It would be possibly to change the band supports (AT&T US Version for example does support AWS but it is blocked in firmware) but that would require a universal antennae and figuring out how to change the bands.

Again the SOC can work with all the bands, but not all at once. A manufacture has to pick up to 5 to enable in firmware, and there may be manufacturing differences (like antennae) that lock those choices in.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
...and they are listed in error. The rm821 supports euro lte bands and quad-band umts. That's the same everywhere but Nokias web site sometimes lists all bands by mistake.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Everyone else has picked up this story, so I thought I'd go and look at the Nokia India site myself to see this list. The product page no longer lists any LTE bands, but instead shows quadband GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and pentaband WCDMA (850/900/1700/1900/2100). It does list FDD-LTE as a data bearer, but also as an asterisk saying LTE is not supported in India.

Abhishek M

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
It might seem wierd but i was planning to ask my friend to get the phone from India'cause i wanted to use it on the TMO network ((Assuming tht it would work on the AWS band on TMO network)) which is cheaper. Also i cannot get on an ATT network as i will have to get a new no. and I want to continue the current.

Please correct me if I could be wrong here.Your advise would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
TMOUS does not have an LTE network yet but when they start rolling it out in 2013 it might be compatible with rm820 Lumia models. Since the Indian 920 is rm821 the answer is No on LTE. It will work with HSPA though, in refarmed tmo areas. You can get up to 10 mbit or so on a good day.

Abhishek M

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
TMOUS does not have an LTE network yet but when they start rolling it out in 2013 it might be compatible with rm820 Lumia models. Since the Indian 920 is rm821 the answer is No on LTE. It will work with HSPA though, in refarmed tmo areas. You can get up to 10 mbit or so on a good day.
Thank you tai4de I think i will buy it from there since i'm getting an international unlocked version and some new posts have been saying that it will be priced at around 35000 INR which is a reasonable amount.
Question: Concerning other windows phone updates like the Portico, would I be getting them over the TMO network?
I am asking this as I have read about these updates being pushed by the service providers which are phone specific.
So as TMo does not have NL 920 on its network would I be able to get its updates?

Thanks again!

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The updates you get are entirely dependent on the variant you buy, not the network you happen to be using it on. So if you buy an APAC unlocked one then you will get updates along with everyone else who has your same variant.

Abhishek M

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
And concerning the Warranty? Do you think that could be an issue? If the warrant becomes void when brought to the US, can i have insurance or something?

caribouroader

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi...any way to manually change the frequency setting... I have an unlocked 920 which did work on my Telus GMS/HSPA+ network. I subsequently removed my SIM and then th enext time I inserted it into the phone I received message 'SIM card is missing or invalid'. I know the SIM is good since I have used it on other mobiles.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss