Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    You know what? I use my phone as a phone!! I use it to make calls and text. I may have one or to games on it to kill 5 minutes while i take a ****. Wa,wa,wa. So tired of this argument sooooooooooo tired. 💋

Quote Originally Posted by jlynnm350z View Post
    You know what? I use my phone as a phone!! I use it to make calls and text. I may have one or to games on it to kill 5 minutes while i take a ****. Wa,wa,wa. So tired of this argument sooooooooooo tired. 💋
    If we all took this argument, then why even bother with a smartphone? It makes all of this pointless. At the end of the day, these devices are more than just phones. And MS, Google and Apple's investment on these devices and how they fit into their ideas of media consumption is proof of that, whether we want to accept it or not. Otherwise, we should just stick to simple flip phones and call it a day
    Thanked by:
    Klevis and treble3 like this.

Global Posts
    3,532 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Ah, yes, the latest thread on apps.....

Which really sums it up. It is still an issue. If it wasn't, there would be no more threads on it.

First off, thanks to the OP for finding a fun way to start this thread. I respect sarcasm. It is the only way I get through my day.

Secondly, there is not one person on this or any other thread that does not have a solid point. From the pro-WP side:

-The app selection is so much better from where it was, it seems stupid to keep complaining about it.
    -Sales for WP 8 are increasing- this will bring major apps to the platform.
    -Truly, there are web sites for most missing apps and some fantastic replacement apps for still missing "name" apps, so relax.
    -People know the app situation going in. It is a trade off for what can easily be defended as the best OS in mobile.

All completely true.

From the pro-apps side:

-Making excuses for not having the apps is part of the reason we do not have the apps.
    -Microsoft has the means to "strong arm" or help pay for the main apps to be here, and have dropped the ball.
    -No way- NO WAY- iOS and Android users come over in large numbers without the same quality of apps they have now.

Again, being honest, all true statements.

I see the uptrend in app development, and enjoy WP more then other OS's, so I am willing to use the internet option on my phone for my banking needs and enjoy what apps have been developed. But I am also not willing to say it does not matter. It does, and even I expect more from WP by the end of 2013. I am hopeful this will be among the last of these threads. At some point, either this is no longer an issue, or a large portion of us will not be WP users. I like my chosen OS to give it the benefit of the doubt, and have seen the app catalog improve to back up that decision. I also believe Windows 8 and Windows RT tablet sales will help.

Or, not. If not, WP will hover in single digit % of smartphone sales, and there are hundreds more threads about apps coming......
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

And let me just add that my post have nothing to do with the lack of certain apps. Its just solely on the lack of features that really should already be on the platform
    snowmutt likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Sarcasm seems to be lost in a lot of people.

Seriously, though, I never understood the apps "issue." How many apps does someone really need?
    Exactly. It's quality, not quantity. Do you have good apps that you like that serve your needs well? That is what matters. Everything else is irrelevant.
    Thanked by:

Another day, another wp8 zealot burying their head in the sand about WP8's biggest flaw.

Where are the "brand name" apps, like banks, airlines, tv networks, or sports leagues? Look at the top 100 apps on android or ios, and where the **** are they for wp8? Instead we have a lot of bad clones and fakes.
    Curse this app gap!
    jdevenberg likes this.

LOL I'm glad I decided to click on this one eventually..! Not what I expected :D
    I have 350+ apps on my WP7 and now around 150 for my WP8, yeah, not enough apps for sure, darn.
    Quote Originally Posted by anilraj View Post
    My Lumia 920 has 32GB of space.
    And after the WP8, I have a few GBs less.

At most, I can only install a few thousand apps.
    I can't figure out how iPhone and Android users can have 700K apps in their phone.

I am no more fighting with iPhone and Android users on the app issue.
    They win.
    I have decided to live with around 60 apps in my phone.
    Hmmmm. Regardless whether you are a troll or not, lets suppose that each iphone app is about 1mb in size. Now 700k apps means that they have about 700Gb of space. A capacity that won't be available on smart phones at least for a few decades.

Funny how some people mis-treated OP's sarcasm with 'overly' serious argument :))

As for me, i only have and use around 20-25 apps on my lumia... poor me!
    Klevis likes this.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noskal View Post
    As for me, i only have and use around 20-25 apps on my lumia... poor me!
    More than I have...

Quote Originally Posted by lowry View Post
    i agree totally. The lack of banking apps is what forces me to drag my ipad with me when i would like to only have my phone. On the whole i have found replacement for every app but the banking ones.
    wooooosh
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Sarcasm seems to be lost in a lot of people.

Seriously, though, I never understood the apps "issue." How many apps does someone really need?
    It's been answered numerous times:

-it's not about the total sum of apps, it's about the fact that each person has their 'core' of apps they like/want/need and these differ from person to person. With iOS/Android more people are going to be able to find those differing apps because there are more to cherry pick from. When you only have a small app selection, those users are less likely to find that magic spot of a set of particular apps that suits them.

-Big name apps. Android/iOS have ALL of them. WP8 does not. This is an easy point.

-this is where it gets more subtle, and this kind of ties in with the first point - tier 2 and tier 3 apps. These aren't the Facebooks or Instagrams, these are more like your file managers, personal organizers, bank apps, fitness trackers etc etc. There's a TON of these tier 2 developers on iOS/Android because the smaller potato guys know that's who butters their bread. It's hard to convince these guys to develop for OS's with a smaller user base, and really, these are the guys are the unmentioned backbone of an app store.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I have <20 apps on my 920...

but then again, I am coming from a first gen Blackberry Torch, where, well... I'll just leave it at that. (I'm still discovering the world of usable Apps, though I do miss the Touch messaging app)
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I installed 100k fart aps on my iPhone and now it stinks.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    And let me just add that my post have nothing to do with the lack of certain apps. Its just solely on the lack of features that really should already be on the platform
    Brow relax WP8 has only been out a couple of months why the constant panic in every thread. We get it there are things missing in WP that you want these things take time. Relax and enjoy the ride. In this thread we are talking facetiously about app quantity nothing serious in this thread at all. Time to stop the thread craping.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 12-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I looked through the Google Play Store at the current crop of applications they had available and I was kind of ho hum about it. Im sure my kids will be angry because I dont have a Furby app on my phone anymore but they really need to learn how to feed and take care of their own pets. People don't need 10 different weed growing and smoking apps. Why do they even need one?

Its very good to have 700.000 apps in a phone, like if you use 1000 new apps a day, then you would have used every app in about 2 years time, and you would be ready to use new ones. If an app costs 50c, then the cost of those apps would be 350.000/ or $.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    I installed 100k fart aps on my iPhone and now it stinks.....lol

Brow relax WP8 has only been out a couple of months why the constant panic in every thread. We get it there are things missing in WP that you want these things take time. Relax and enjoy the ride. In this thread we are talking facetiously about app quantity nothing serious in this thread at all. Time to stop the thread craping.
    Not sure what you are talking about....

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    So what would you have done a couple of years ago when apps did not matter? Relax every big OS had to begin somewhere and i would not call 150.000 apps nothing, if you look at the charts you will see that since the release of WP8 the line is going straight up in a fast pace give it time and the marketplace will be filled.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Exactly. It's quality, not quantity. Do you have good apps that you like that serve your needs well? That is what matters. Everything else is irrelevant.
    Sometimes it is quantity. The more apps there are, the better the chance that more people will get the apps they need and/or want.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    I looked through the Google Play Store at the current crop of applications they had available and I was kind of ho hum about it. Im sure my kids will be angry because I dont have a Furby app on my phone anymore but they really need to learn how to feed and take care of their own pets. People don't need 10 different weed growing and smoking apps. Why do they even need one?
    That simplistic non-argument has been null for a long time.

Well.. regardless whether the original poster was trying to be sarcastic or not, the lack of apps is the weakest point of WP. There are lots of basic functionality still missing from WP8 that I was expecting; Skype integration doesn't work. No DLNA apps. No torrent client apps. No LiveStream app. Risk doesn't work on wp8(looking forward to have it). I've found few apps that are simply broken and don't work(probably written for wp7). And the fact that there have been lots of stories about developers ditching WP doesn't help.

I know in time the issues will get fixed and the apps get released, but currently WP is still far behind iphone/android in my opinion. That being said, I love my Lumia 920 and not planning to leave WP.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    iOS has an app advantage that I doubt anyone will ever overcome, or even come close to. Its the only reason I would go back to an iPhone. I wholly agree with another poster-if you're going to ridicule apps and go with the "I need my phone to be a phone" argument, then why are you paying $80+ a month for a smartphone? So you can talk, text, and get some quality web browsing in? No, its the apps. Those simple, yet powerful things that are optimized for the phone. With iOS, anything you can think of that there might be an app for, you check the store and there's usually like five high quality ones. You go and check to see if Street Fighter II is there and every version that ever came out in the arcade or on a console is in there for a few bucks.

Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTBurns View Post
    iOS has an app advantage that I doubt anyone will ever overcome, or even come close to. Its the only reason I would go back to an iPhone. I wholly agree with another poster-if you're going to ridicule apps and go with the "I need my phone to be a phone" argument, then why are you paying $80+ a month for a smartphone? So you can talk, text, and get some quality web browsing in? No, its the apps.
    annnnnd, if I can't have the app how I want it, I don't want it.

ya, I hear ya. since the op doesn't need or want 700000 apps on his phone, let's pair it down to two:

phone app
    internet explorer

that's all anyone really needs
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    annnnnd, if I can't have the app how I want it, I don't want it.

ya, I hear ya. since the op doesn't need or want 700000 apps on his phone, let's pair it down to two:

phone app
    internet explorer

that's all anyone really needs
    This sounds like something a Blackberry die hard would say. Since Blackberry does not have many apps, apps are stupid and not needed.

The point of apps is that they are optimized for the phone, web apps are not.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTBurns View Post
    This sounds like something a Blackberry die hard would say. Since Blackberry does not have many apps, apps are stupid and not needed.

The point of apps is that they are optimized for the phone, web apps are not.
    But where there isnt an app why not just use the website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast