I give up... My Lumia 920 doesn't have enough apps...

ransunsan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
It?s very good to have 700.000 apps in a phone, like if you use 1000 new apps a day, then you would have used every app in about 2 years time, and you would be ready to use new ones. If an app costs 50c, then the cost of those apps would be 350.000?/ or $.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I installed 100k fart aps on my iPhone and now it stinks.....lol :winktongue:

Brow relax WP8 has only been out a couple of months why the constant panic in every thread. We get it there are things missing in WP that you want these things take time. Relax and enjoy the ride. In this thread we are talking facetiously about app quantity nothing serious in this thread at all. Time to stop the thread craping.

Not sure what you are talking about....

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So what would you have done a couple of years ago when apps did not matter? Relax every big OS had to begin somewhere and i would not call 150.000 apps nothing, if you look at the charts you will see that since the release of WP8 the line is going straight up in a fast pace give it time and the marketplace will be filled.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. It's quality, not quantity. Do you have good apps that you like that serve your needs well? That is what matters. Everything else is irrelevant.

Sometimes it is quantity. The more apps there are, the better the chance that more people will get the apps they need and/or want.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I looked through the Google Play Store at the current crop of applications they had available and I was kind of ho hum about it. I?m sure my kids will be angry because I don?t have a Furby app on my phone anymore but they really need to learn how to feed and take care of their own pets. People don't need 10 different weed growing and smoking apps. Why do they even need one?

That simplistic non-argument has been null for a long time.

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well.. regardless whether the original poster was trying to be sarcastic or not, the lack of apps is the weakest point of WP. There are lots of basic functionality still missing from WP8 that I was expecting; Skype integration doesn't work. No DLNA apps. No torrent client apps. No LiveStream app. Risk doesn't work on wp8(looking forward to have it). I've found few apps that are simply broken and don't work(probably written for wp7). And the fact that there have been lots of stories about developers ditching WP doesn't help.

I know in time the issues will get fixed and the apps get released, but currently WP is still far behind iphone/android in my opinion. That being said, I love my Lumia 920 and not planning to leave WP.

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
iOS has an app advantage that I doubt anyone will ever overcome, or even come close to. Its the only reason I would go back to an iPhone. I wholly agree with another poster-if you're going to ridicule apps and go with the "I need my phone to be a phone" argument, then why are you paying $80+ a month for a smartphone? So you can talk, text, and get some quality web browsing in? No, its the apps. Those simple, yet powerful things that are optimized for the phone. With iOS, anything you can think of that there might be an app for, you check the store and there's usually like five high quality ones. You go and check to see if Street Fighter II is there and every version that ever came out in the arcade or on a console is in there for a few bucks.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
iOS has an app advantage that I doubt anyone will ever overcome, or even come close to. Its the only reason I would go back to an iPhone. I wholly agree with another poster-if you're going to ridicule apps and go with the "I need my phone to be a phone" argument, then why are you paying $80+ a month for a smartphone? So you can talk, text, and get some quality web browsing in? No, its the apps.

annnnnd, if I can't have the app how I want it, I don't want it.

ya, I hear ya. since the op doesn't need or want 700000 apps on his phone, let's pair it down to two:

phone app
internet explorer

that's all anyone really needs

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
annnnnd, if I can't have the app how I want it, I don't want it.

ya, I hear ya. since the op doesn't need or want 700000 apps on his phone, let's pair it down to two:

phone app
internet explorer

that's all anyone really needs

This sounds like something a Blackberry die hard would say. Since Blackberry does not have many apps, apps are stupid and not needed.

The point of apps is that they are optimized for the phone, web apps are not.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This sounds like something a Blackberry die hard would say. Since Blackberry does not have many apps, apps are stupid and not needed.

The point of apps is that they are optimized for the phone, web apps are not.

No need for the name call brow if someone doesn't agree with you that's okay they have that right. Make your points in a civil manned and move on.

Dex Da Rex

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree totally. The lack of banking apps is what forces me to drag my iPad with me when I would like to only have my phone. On the whole I have found replacement for every app but the banking ones.

I needed a PNC bank app like on iOS and Android but I just went to the online site and pinned to home screen the log in. So its much faster then the actual app now. :)

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but I might as well also post it here :)

I have to resort to Internet Explorer for most of my favorite sites which have apps on other platforms and even then the mobile sites are mostly rendered really badly because of the fact that they are almost all Webkit optimized. Just a list of my app problems:

- The Facebook app isn't complete and the mobile site feels really cheap and slow if your compare it to iOS or Android
- IMDB is really lacking while this was one of the showcase apps back in the WP7 days. There isn't even a login possibilty (IMDB is useless to me without my Watchlist)
- No The Verge app... and the site doesn't work well because of Webkit optimization (it's my favorite site)
- No localized sites (Autoblog, Autoweek, Tweakers, NUsport, etc)
- No Google apps (Gmail, Youtube (MetroTube doesn't show all videos just like the old iOS app and the mobile site has quirks), Google Maps (GMaps isn't a good solution))
- Most banking apps in my country aren't available
- Whatsapp is implemented really badly with the draining WIFI hack and bugs (I have almost 160 Whatsapp contacts, it's the number one communication method on phones in my country)

I could go on :) I feel like I'm really making a lot of compromises in day to day usage. In my opinion unnecessary compromises as on iOS and Android these problems don't exist.

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but I might as well also post it here :)

I have to resort to Internet Explorer for most of my favorite sites which have apps on other platforms and even then the mobile sites are mostly rendered really badly because of the fact that they are almost all Webkit optimized. Just a list of my app problems:

- The Facebook app isn't complete and the mobile site feels really cheap and slow if your compare it to iOS or Android
- IMDB is really lacking while this was one of the showcase apps back in the WP7 days. There isn't even a login possibilty (IMDB is useless to me without my Watchlist)
- No The Verge app... and the site doesn't work well because of Webkit optimization (it's my favorite site)
- No localized sites (Autoblog, Autoweek, Tweakers, NUsport, etc)
- No Google apps (Gmail, Youtube (MetroTube doesn't show all videos just like the old iOS app and the mobile site has quirks), Google Maps (GMaps isn't a good solution))
- Most banking apps in my country aren't available
- Whatsapp is implemented really badly with the draining WIFI hack and bugs (I have almost 160 Whatsapp contacts, it's the number one communication method on phones in my country)

I could go on :) I feel like I'm really making a lot of compromises in day to day usage. In my opinion unnecessary compromises as on iOS and Android these problems don't exist.

Im guessing you weren't on android from the beginning because it took 2 years before we got a lot of the big apps, 3 for the banking ones.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Im guessing you weren't on android from the beginning because it took 2 years before we got a lot of the big apps, 3 for the banking ones.

After many years with Windows Mobile and Symbian (N95 was my last phone in the old era) I bought the original iPhone, I won the HTC Hero (but I sold it after two weeks because it was horribly slow and Android felt too open sourcy and cheap in comparison to iOS), the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4 and after the disappointing 4S announcement (the iPhone 5 should've been the 4S) I bought the Galaxy Nexus. So my first full day-to-day Android experience was with Android 4.0 (my time with the HTC Hero was too short to count). So I've had my share of experiences with missing functionalities and bad apps (I remember how I longed soooo long for the messaging app on iOS to go landscape) and finally with iOS5 and Android 4.0 all that was resolved.

But it's almost 2013 now.... and it sometimes feels like I'm back to square one with Windows Phone. Back to the days of missing functionalities and lacking apps. If you think about it rationally, it's pretty crazy for me to keep on using WP8, but I'm just a sucker for beautiful and original design. When I play with my Galaxy Nexus it really feels unpolished, open sourcy, with non natural animations in comparison to WP8 and iOS. I was contemplating a week ago to sell the 920 and get an iPhone 5, but I'm going to keep the 920 and give it another 6 months. I just hope the developers will get to it! But with the pace the Lumia 920 is being sold out, I have a feeling it might just stand a chance.

anilraj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This is what happens when you post something just before going to vacation.
And you forget to subscribe to your own post.

I am the author of the original post.

To make sure, my tone was more of sarcasm.
I understand that no one can install 700K apps in their phone.

But, the reality is that when I talk to non-WP users, no matter how much I convince them, the final argument is on the apps.
That is when I really talk to a person that my phone can't have 700K apps, and I wonder how his phone has 700K apps.
I think, that made him think a little.
Even after that, he remains iPhone fan.
But, he respects WP.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw 7 androids and one iphone this past week. They were mostly stock, none "rooted" or jailbroken. They all generally had the same apps:

Facebook (ugh)
Youtube (duh)
some office type app (big surprise for me)
Instagram/picasa/google+/iphoto/etc (with most set to auto upload)
A few video editing apps
A few fart apps
A few different nav apps

Most phones were 50%full of pics/movies/music, and the users were used to moving/sharing files via wifi/bluetooth/adhoc on a whim.

Battery life wasn't a concern for anyone. Just plug it in.

Speed wasn't a concern.

Reboots weren't a problem.

Freezing wasn't a problem.

Updates weren't a -consideration- at all.

The users were completely happy with whatever their phone did, so long as they could get the app so-n-so had on their phone, there were no pissing matches. There was one exception to this rule: the note2, everyone wanted that phone. Period. S3 ? Nope, not enough. Iphone5 ? Nu uh, wanted note2.

Soooo, my conclusion was, folks really are happy with current products. The only 3 opinions of windows, on a phone, were "we'll see about that".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb