Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I found that Whatsapp was causing battery drain on my 920. If I reset the phone and did not use Whatsapp it was fine, but as soon as I received a message the battery would start to drain ar a much faster rate. I switched to using Skype and uninstalled Whatsapp and I am no longer seeing the increased drain. The other thing I noticed is that the cell signal has a pretty big impact on battery life. When I am in an area with a weaker signal battery life is not as good.
    zyran likes this.

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    whatsapp is a battery killer.

But going down to 42% in 6 hours is not normal. Unless you are a power user and got a ton of stuff running and you are using it nonstop especially surfing internet.

But i am usually at 40% after 13-15 hours with 3 apps running in background, 100 text, very little calls and an hour or more internet surfing.

For me, the biggest battery hog is LTE at the moment.

I'm on vacation at my parents where LTE is available. Since getting into the LTE area, my battery life has been decimated. While back in Michigan I was getting almost17- 20 hours... being in this LTE network area in South Carolina has halved that. I'm getting between 8-10 hours of 'normal' usage. Ugh...
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    This is what I find ****ing offensive when I come over to a message board and read about what appears to be rapid battery drain. By default your wireless device is a phone, and chief among those lauded features is the ability to make or receive a call while within your coverage area. It's an odd concept for sure, but there really are people out there that prefer to pick up the phone and call someone rather than hit up their social networks and cut a few tweets, poke their girlfriends on Facebook or pin something on Pintrest.

Lumia 920 - computer
    Nexus 4 - computer
    iPhone 5 - computer

Jitterbug - phone

Laptops usually last how long before you need to charge them? Then you add cellular radios and data connectivity to it. You play games on it and watch movies on it. You make phone calls and receive text messages. So it only lasts for 12 hours? Really? That's terrible!
    While you are right, but people don't buy these things for them to be computers. They are mobile phones first and foremost. I have no interest in getting a device unless it can last a day with mediocre use. If the device can't do that for whatever reason, it needs to cut down from the "smart" part to make sure it's meets the "phone" part of it. I'm pretty sure this is the same for most people.

Regardless of the points you make, what OP is going through is not normal for the 920. It is capable of far better battery life. Even then, I dont think what you said is at this time even relevant in smartphones. Just about any smartphone currently sold can easily get through the day. With heavy use maybe not, but you can make anything run out of battery with heavy use. I don't think this will change in the design philosophy of smartphones either. Nobody is gonna buy a smartphone with 8 hour battery life :P

Anyways, I havnt had problems with Whatsapp as a battery drainer either. That said, I dont use it very extensively.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    I'll try and keep this short. I have been very disappointed with battery life until last couple of days. (You can check some of my posts and I may have to eat my words later)Portico did not fix any of my battery issues. Well, I haven't had any random battery drains after update. I assume there were some processes hanging causing those. But I Still had 7-9% loss an hour with very little to no use. I gave Portico a week with no improvement and then I performed factory reset. Phone never got off cogs after 10 hrs so I went in and performed manual flash with latest version. Reloaded all my apps that wouldn't reload. Got phone back to same state it was in before reset. Since then, I am down to 3-4% an hour with same setup and background tasks. It's only been 4 days since I did it, but I have noticed major improvement. Now this is with the charger that came with it, I haven't switched back to wireless yet. I have deleted the battery hog apps. Drive, Gmail account and anything else that has been listed in forums as a problem child. I'm going to give it another couple of weeks before I can be satisfied, but factory reset is only thing that has made a difference on my 920.

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    I've factory reset my 920 like 5 times. LOL. Battery drain is still horrible. It just dies. Even when I'm not using it. I even flashed it manually.

Please don't ask me about running apps/background tasks/if I have nfc on etc. I've been through it all.

Pretty close to returning this bad boy.

Global Posts
    2,247 Global Posts
    You should. Your battery is terrible. You have no apps..
    HTC Droid Incredible(2 replacements) --> Nokia Lumia 900(Briefly)/Apple iPhone 4s --> Nokia Lumia 920(3 replacements) --> BlackBerry Z10(2 replacements) --> HTC One(3 replacements) --> Samsung Galaxy S4(Briefly) --> iPhone 5 --> iPhone 6+

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I've factory reset my 920 like 5 times. LOL. Battery drain is still horrible. It just dies. Even when I'm not using it. I even flashed it manually.

Please don't ask me about running apps/background tasks/if I have nfc on etc. I've been through it all.

Pretty close to returning this bad boy.
    I wwouldn't blame you if you did. I think Nokia quality control is crap at this point. I'll never buy another Nokia without a whole lotta raving reviews beforehand. I'm hoping my 920 can make it till May and I'll be getting a Surface phone. I hope. I'd even take a Samsung at this point. This phone has been a beating. Bring on the Surface phone!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by generalsu View Post
    Do you have the same apps that I have installed on your phone?
    Without spending too much on this, I just got my Yeller 920 2 days ago, i have roughly the same apps, my settings are real close to yours, and it took less than that to get mine down that much.

Thanks

-Doc
    Actual location: Inside the system itself.

Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.
    been facing the same problem... thinking about getting the phone replaced...
    Not sure if apps like metrotube(bg disabled), accuweather,photostream etc are the culprits..
    gonna do a hard reset once or twice before contacting Amazon/ATT

I haven't used whatapp since WP7 and it was a huge battery drain then. I have used kik recently and it crushes the battery, so I would suspect that whatsapp is also a contributor
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I don't have any apps installed but, after signing up for facebook through the phones accounts, my battery took a huge hit.

Mines is at 68% into 12 hours.

I've made a habit of making sure to back out of every single app rather than pressing the windows.

Settings:
    - Wifi: Off
    - Data Connection: LTE
    - NFC: On
    - Bluetooth: Off

- Airplane Mode: Off
    - Brightness: Low(Auto: Off)
    - Touch Sensitivity: High
    - Battery Saver: On

Background Tasks:
    - Amazing Weather HD (allowed)
    - My Stock Portfolio (allowed)
    - Weave Reader (allowed)

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    i think the size of the battery comes into play also. for comparison, i have both the lumia 920 and samsung gs3. tonight before i went to bowling league i took my gs3 off the charger at 100%. went to bowling league at 6pm and used the phone while at bowling league. i emailed, (cant make a call inside there), text msg'ed, played alot of music and watched some videos. the gs3 has 2100mah battery while the 920 has 2000mah. when i got home from bowling at 10pm my gs3 was at 58% battery power. that's 4 hours of use that used up 42% of the battery. on a normal day i have to charge my gs3 atleast once during the day to get through the day. basically what i'm saying is i dont think they are putting big enough batteries in most phones. maybe it's to keep the price of the phone down, dont know. but with how bulky the lumia 920 is you'd think there was enough room to put in a bigger battery. be nice if it had a removable battery then you could just buy a bigger battery.

From my understanding, Location, Whatsapp are really battery killers, even Nokia and Microsoft admits it. Someone from HK contacted the developer of Whatsapp, and they promised there will be a new version that runs fast (like 6x faster) and fixed on WP8 very soon. But right now, no news yet. Besides some heavy games (like Angry Birds and the new Guns 4 Life), I also found that the status of cellular signal and cellular network has something to do with the battery drain. In some areas with low signal, the battery heats up and dies very quickly.

If you are auto syncing your camera roll and videos to skydrive then that would explain why the battery ran out so quick. Your phone was probably uploading all the photos and videos you took via wifi.
    i find the same.. the phone gets super hot on the top within 5 mins of whatsapp usage and battery drains really fast.
    From what i have been reading, it looks like the portico update havent made any significant difference to the phone. =.="

i am a lumia 920 (yellow) user. was so excited and been proud on the phones built and the screen. sorry to say... but now I kinda regret my decision of choosing this phone.
    Nokia must address these issues as soon as possible as this is their last hope in staying afloat in the phone market.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I will say that it is possible to get good battery life on this phone. I am getting the battery to last all day 16 -18 hours now. I even had it connected to my wifi with the "stay connected" on all day. I switched my messaging to Skype and probably made about 45 minutes of phone calls. So there are either a lot of bad batteries out there or there is some app getting hung up. Or maybe several apps since not everyone has the same ones. Wonder if it could be WP7 apps that were not ported to WP8 correctly?

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I had a problem similar to this, there are some apps that drained my battery, I'm not sure which app but i suspect it was a battery % app. I deleted approx. 3 apps that I believe was the time the my phone starting acting up also the phone got hot along with battery draining. Once I deleted the apps it was fine. Watch on some of the battery apps you download.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I also had ****ty battery life after update. Now I've fixed it:

1. Charge your battery
    2. Drain it until the phone shuts itself off
    3. Try to turn it on. If all you see is a low battery icon, then wait for like 1 hour and try again
    4. When the phone boots up, go to battery information and check the percentage. I still had 22% left even thought the phone wouldn't turn itself on 30 minutes earlier
    5. Drain it again, this time it will be completely drained
    6. Recharge

There, now your battery should be much better. I know it worked for me. Over 30 hours and I still have 48% left

For all the new posters in here, welcome to the forum. There's lots of helpful tips here. That said, if you only got your phone a few days ago, you should continue to use the phone until you've had it for 10 days or so before returning the phone. If there is one thing consistent about these posts across multiple threads, its that battery life improves dramatically after some time.

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wit Stwosz View Post
    I also had ****ty battery life after update. Now I've fixed it:

1. Charge your battery
    2. Drain it until the phone shuts itself off
    3. Try to turn it on. If all you see is a low battery icon, then wait for like 1 hour and try again
    4. When the phone boots up, go to battery information and check the percentage. I still had 22% left even thought the phone wouldn't turn itself on 30 minutes earlier
    5. Drain it again, this time it will be completely drained
    6. Recharge

There, now your battery should be much better. I know it worked for me. Over 30 hours and I still have 48% left
    Well this has to be the only thing I have not tried. I did try something similar though. What I did was

1)Drain battery till phone shuts self off
    2) Try to put it on but would see battery icon.
    3) continuously tried to turn phone until it was dead dead dead and would not come back on.
    4)let it charge for a full 10 hours over night.
    5)battery life was still just as ****ty.

I'm wondering if your method would make any difference...

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Trust me, after point 2, wait for an hour ;)

Nope, not normal. With your listed usage, with a full charge, I would definitely be at greater than 50% battery life with my Red 920 w/Portico.

You've said your wifi is set to on... was it on while you were out and about, not connected to a hotspot? That would be my only, albeit uneducated, guess as to your drain.

Although if you just updated to Portico, I would strongly recommend a complete discharge/charge cycle and then a soft reset. My battery life was pretty poor before doing that when I got the phone at launch and then again after the update.

And for what its worth, I haven't noticed any change in my own battery life before/after the Portico update.
    Sent from my smart computer.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    I always have WLAN on personally and my battery life is great, so it's not that. I like how it always connects to known Wifis, be it at home, at my moms place, school, dads place etc.

So I doubt it's WLAN. On the other hand I have BT and NFC turned off cos I have zero use for them personally.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast