Soon to be a new 920 user

macguy59

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Jumping off the iPhone treadmill. iOS has become stale and boring so it's time for something new. I've used Android phones and while they are more customizable it is too much like iOS. I installed Windows 8 on my MacBook Air via Bootcamp and have gotten a pretty good feel for it. Windows Phone 8 feels like an extension of that. I love the idea of live tiles rather than having numerous widgets running eating up battery life. I've already migrated my contacts and calendar data to Windows LIve so I should be able to hit the ground running when my 920 gets here (Red). AS I understand it, the only way to get my iCloud mail pushed to the 920 is by forwarding it to my Live email account, correct ? Maybe that question should go in the WP8 forum. Any specific hardware advice ? Best camera settings ? Any way I'm excited about joining WP8 via my Cardinals Red 920 :grin:

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If iCloud mail can be accessed via POP, I would suggest you do that. I moved my Yahoo mail to Live, and ended up using a vacation reponse in Yahoo to notify people of my new address and then letting my phone read the Yahoo mail. When I forwarded the mail to Live, it forwarded the mail before triggering the vacation response.

macguy59

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
If I set it up as a POP3 account then I don't get it pushed but rather have it fetched on a user defined schedule right ? I haven't tested this so maybe the time it takes iCloud to forward it to Live will end up being the same amount of time as pulled via POP3. Thanks for the reply

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have my iCloud email set up as a separate IMAP account on my Lumia, it doesn't push its a scheduled pull but I prefer that to forwarding, then over time I just use it less and less so people begin to use my Outlook.com one.

And welcome to the ecosystem

macguy59

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. So even setup as IMAP it still pulls instead of pushes. Is this being handled via Active sync exchange on the WP8 side ?

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
No, just a regular IMAP account, but it is due to both parties that it is not push. On the MSFT side, Windows Phone does not support IMAP Idle, which is the most commonly used push IMAP implementation. But it wouldn't matter if they did, because Apple does not use industry standard push IMAP protocols either, which is why only iOS devices have the real push support for iCloud mail

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3