Idle Drain Frustrations

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Shame that so many of us are seeing horrible performance after getting an update that was supposed to fix it. I saw moderately better idle drain after soft resetting my phone, but after a couple of hours it goes back to horrible drain, as well as overheating when in use (which of course leads to even worse drain.) GAHHHH.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys have wifi set to always on after portico? I tried, and it uses battery lot more than 3g. Now it's not always on, and battery is much better.
Interesting, I have been keeping mine on. But I didn't really expect it to change the battery life by that much

zammi

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
If your phone gets warm alongside battery drain restart the phone and try to switch to 2G and use for sometime.
In my case, I found that this is partially related to the network.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
My battery is hardly ever warm. Have live tiles and background tasks of CNN, Weave, Weather Channel, Facebook, and Twitter always running. Also have NFC enabled at all times. Drain is about 2% per 30 minutes on idle. Been like this pre-Portico and after. So I'm thinking this is what's to be expected.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
How is it during use? My phone likes to heat up when I browse, and I usually eat up 6-8% with ten minutes of browsing on a WiFi network

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Phone will not heat up or anything, but I do notice it drains battery a bit. Today, after an hour off the charger, I was on reading news through Weave and CNN. 10 minutes later, battery is down to 92%.

I find that the battery drain slows down after the 60% mark though. Average day consists of 20 minutes of "app use", 45 minutes of calling, and one hour of music. Will have the phone on for 12 hours with about 30-40% left.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
11 hours of idle and light use resulted in 75% battery reading today. Yesterday with the same usage and with whatsapp installed resulted in 15ish % after 10 hours. Whatsapp was a major drainer for my phone. Maybe it is for you?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
11 hours of idle and light use resulted in 75% battery reading today. Yesterday with the same usage and with whatsapp installed resulted in 15ish % after 10 hours. Whatsapp was a major drainer for my phone. Maybe it is for you?
Were you using whatsapp or just installed it

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I find that the battery drain slows down after the 60% mark though. Average day consists of 20 minutes of "app use", 45 minutes of calling, and one hour of music. Will have the phone on for 12 hours with about 30-40% left.
Weird, i noticed this too. The first forty percent seems to dissipate quickly (my battery went from 100 to 90 in two hours, just now. :( ) but as soon as I hit the 50's drain slows to 1 percent an hour.

With the idle drain that I have, manage to eke out 14 hours before I hit 10% I know it's not as had some other folks' issues, but seeing as some people can reach thirty hours with light use, I find this a bit disappointing. Has anyone tried contacting Nokia or Microsoft about this?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Weird, i noticed this too. The first forty percent seems to dissipate quickly (my battery went from 100 to 90 in two hours, just now. :( ) but as soon as I hit the 50's drain slows to 1 percent an hour.

With the idle drain that I have, manage to eke out 14 hours before I hit 10% I know it's not as had some other folks' issues, but seeing as some people can reach thirty hours with light use, I find this a bit disappointing. Has anyone tried contacting Nokia or Microsoft about this?

Not sure. But I hope they say something.. And fast.

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This may sound counter-intuitive, but if you're running without gsp on, it might be worth trying to turn that on. the other night, i turned off location services before I went to bed and went from about 75-30% overnight. Last night, i did the same with location services on and only dropped about 5-10% overnight. I've only done this once, so no reproducibility yet, but might be worth trying.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This may sound counter-intuitive, but if you're running without gsp on, it might be worth trying to turn that on. the other night, i turned off location services before I went to bed and went from about 75-30% overnight. Last night, i did the same with location services on and only dropped about 5-10% overnight. I've only done this once, so no reproducibility yet, but might be worth trying.

I tried this as well, but so far it has done little to help. It doesn't drain the battery any faster though, which I guess is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)