Nokia Lumia 920 camera not 8.7 megapixel photos

bvmoreno

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Question to all Lumia 920 owners: When pictures are taken at all resolutions they are usually stored at 400KB files. My old blackberry saves photos as 1.5 MB files whereas the iPhone saves photos as 2 MB. Does anybody except me think this is suspicious? Even with the new HDR camera app the pics are stored as roughly 400KB . You really notice this when you email the pic and open it on a PC or Mac...

bvmoreno

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention I contacted Nokia Support and their agent had no clue how to increase the resolution. And yes I have ALL software and OS updates for the Lumia 920.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Question to all Lumia 920 owners: When pictures are taken at all resolutions they are usually stored at 400KB files. My old blackberry saves photos as 1.5 MB files whereas the iPhone saves photos as 2 MB. Does anybody except me think this is suspicious? Even with the new HDR camera app the pics are stored as roughly 400KB . You really notice this when you email the pic and open it on a PC or Mac...

I think emailing it will reduce size. Just upload to Skydrive in high resolution. If you need to share high res pics, just send them the link to your Skydrive picture. Many people don't like receiving huge picture files in their Inbox.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
First of all , welcome to WPcentral.
My dear friend , the camera is 8.7 , that .7 is being used to create pictures that look good on both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios , other cameras kill 4:3 pictures (popular for shooting tall buildings.)
This camera instead gives you a perfect 8mp 4:3 picture and a 7.1mp 16:9 picture.
Iphone 5 by default uses 4:3 ratio .
Lumia 920 uses 19:6 by default

If the iphone 5 wanted to shoot a 16:9 picture it has to delete lots of data of its 4:3 ratio picture .

This why the sensor is 8.7 to allow that easy conversion
here's a picture to easy your mind ...

nokia-lumia-920-8-7MP-camera-sensor-diagram_thumb.jpg

and here's a 16:9 ratio picture by the Lumia 920 http://sdrv.ms/Ureo1O

and here's a 4:3 ratio picture by the same phone . http://sdrv.ms/VmtgPK
I hope you got the idea ...
Cheers . :)
@nabkawe5

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
In the photo settings you can set Upload to Skydrive and you can set the settings to very high gaining two advantages (First higher res and quality pics, Second, it'll only auto upload on Wifi so no data will be eaten .

bvmoreno

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Ah now I see. I logged into my Skydrive account and see the photos as around 2 MB files. Wish Nokia support would mentioned this when I was on the phone with them.
Now I'm a bit peeved that I have to share my full resolution photos through Skydrive instead of directly through my email. Oh well, thanks for the info fellas.
Cheers and TGIF!

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Using Skydrive to send files is awesome , and if you happen to try it in a browser skydrive.com ... you'll get a share option in each picture , this share could be limited to people who has the link and can just view it , another sharing is a link where people can view and edit the pic , and the last sharing is to make that picture public for all , all these methods give you a long link that could be shortened if you asked it to . :)
Think of the traffic you save on sending those emails (if you have autoupload on and you picked an old picture to mail the data cost will only be the link it'll create ...
(Remember to go through Skydrive camera roll album though.)

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
First of all , welcome to WPcentral.
My dear friend , the camera is 8.7 , that .7 is being used to create pictures that look good on both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios , other cameras kill 4:3 pictures (popular for shooting tall buildings.)
This camera instead gives you a perfect 8mp 4:3 picture and a 7.1mp 16:9 picture.
Iphone 5 by default uses 4:3 ratio .
Lumia 920 uses 19:6 by default

If the iphone 5 wanted to shoot a 16:9 picture it has to delete lots of data of its 4:3 ratio picture .

This why the sensor is 8.7 to allow that easy conversion
here's a picture to easy your mind ...

View attachment 25742

and here's a 16:9 ratio picture by the Lumia 920 https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

and here's a 4:3 ratio picture by the same phone . https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror
I hope you got the idea ...
Cheers . :)
@nabkawe5

Damn nice explanation... gotta bookmark it for future reference.

PhotoAnt

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Here you go as well. Read through this forum

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/210211-emailing-photos-original-size-wp8.html

Use Skydrive (That's what I use) and the images stay full resolution. If you email them apparently they get shrunk down.

The feature to upload at full resolution only available in North America, the rest of the the world has no options! All my camera roll album pics uploaded to SkyDrive is only about 200kb with camera settings at default :(

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can plug your phone into your computer USB, and send them that way, too, like a memory card. Obviously, not as convenient and one more step, but still pretty easy.

I agree it would be nice to pick the resolution to email, but in general, most people hate to get huge attachments sent to them. I know sometimes full-res pics are required, but not for most people or purposes.

Rod Hull

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
The feature to upload at full resolution only available in North America, the rest of the the world has no options! All my camera roll album pics uploaded to SkyDrive is only about 200kb with camera settings at default :(

I'm in the UK on EE, and I can upload to SkyDrive at full resolution (over WiFi). When uploaded, files are always in excess of 2 mb.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I am in the UK and i can confirm that the pictures uploaded to skydrive are not reduced but kept to full size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre