How to determine if LTE will work in another country?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the opportunity to buy an unlocked yellow Nokia Lumia 920 for about $684 (no taxes here) here in Dubai. I'm quite tempted by the yellow color and given that I will probably have just 200mb data and I'll want long battery life, I'll probably end up switching off LTE and just using 3G or 3.5G with WiFi on all the time. But in case I want to see how fast LTE is, I would like to know if LTE will work in Canada on a 920 purchased in Dubai. How about HSPA+ or whatever technology the 920 uses. Will that work in Canada?

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what country are you willing to visit and even what provider are you willing to commit to .
For example here in Saudi Arabia we have 3 Mobile companies , only one of them offers 4g+calling which is Zain btw , Zain uses the band 1800 which among these bands that your phone totally supports
LTE 700
LTE 800
LTE 850
LTE 900
LTE 1700
LTE 1800
LTE 1900
LTE 2100
LTE 2600

Notice that this might be the case for a different Lumia 920 (yours is from the UAE so it supports all these bands)
but some versions of the Lumia920 doesn't support that many bands , and some like the upcoming Indian version supports more bands !!! .

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

I'm going to be using the Lumia 920 in Canada. I came across the Nokia Canada page and went to the Canadian 920's specs list and it had this:
[h=4]Bands[/h]
  • LTE 700
  • LTE 850
  • LTE 1700
  • LTE 1900
  • LTE 2100
[h=4]Data speed - Upload[/h]
  • LTE Cat 3 - 50000 kbit/s
  • HSUPA Cat 6 - 5760 kbit/s
[h=4]Data speed - Download[/h]
  • LTE Cat 3 - 100000 kbit/s
  • HSDPA Cat 24 - 42200 kbit/s

So I guess this means that I'll be able to use LTE in Canada right out of the box?

I also had another question, maybe you could help. I was looking at the Lumia 920 in a store and I couldn't find Nokia Transit/Transport on it. Also the support page for the UAE's Lumia 920 doesn't list Nokia Transport on the right side where the various Nokia apps are kind of listed out:
Nokia Lumia 920 Support - Nokia - United Arab Emirates
On the other hand the Canadian Nokia page does have it:
Nokia Lumia 920 Support - Nokia - Canada

Does this possibly mean that the Lumia 920 from the UAE will not support public transit directions? That would be strange given that Nokia Transit/Transport supports Dubai as one of the supported cities. Is there any way to get the app in case it is not supported?

Thanks again for your reply!

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If your Microsoft Account is set to UAE , create a new account with USA/Canada as your country . Connect it to your Lumia 920 and change your region to USA , then all APPS shall be yours (hush don't tell. :)

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Wooow, how do you know all this stuff? My Outlook.com account was set to Canada already, and then when I initially set up the Lumia 920 I'll be selecting Canada wherever it shows up. Did I understand you correctly?

One last question. Next time I go to a store I shall ask but if you know the answer it would be much easier. If I have battery problems or reboots like so many people have ,then will the warranty on a UAE Lumia 920 be valid for Canada too? If not what could I do to make a warranty claim. I'll be visiting the UAE later on so it wont be too bad I'll just have to live with a faulty Lumia.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
^But that would void the warranty. If I have to make a warranty claim for some other reason, is it possible to revert to the official release and then make a warranty claim?

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
:) Well , yes it would . then again if you complaint to Nokia Care about freezing issues and asks them to upgrade It they have the tools to do so.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm are you talking about Nokia Care UAE or Canada? Would they mind that I've taken the phone outside the UAE and am using it in Canada where its supposed to be exclusive to Rogers?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not only a question of frequencies: many providers don't allow foreign devices on their LTE network. Swisscom in Switzerland and Vodafone in Germany, for example, only let you use LTE if you gave one of their branded phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos