Camera bug after Portico update

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have Night mode on with Auto Flash and the camera doesn't use the flash at all in the dark. Anyone else have this problem?

Night Mode with Flash On - Works
Night Mode with Auto Flash - Completely disabled the Flash

Night Portrait Mode with Flash On - Works
Night Portrait Mode with Auto Flash - Works

Last edited:

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Night mode on with Auto Flash and the camera doesn't use the flash at all in the dark. Anyone else have this problem?

I am not sure Night Mode uses the flash, since it is meant to capture something with a long exposure, thus negating the need of a flash.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It worked before the Portico update. If you have Night Mode and Flash On (Portico), it will also use flash to take pictures. It works in Night Portrait and Auto Flash. Night mode and Auto Flash don't work, won't use the flash to take pictures. How can they miss a simple bug like this?

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Portico fixed its behavior from before, but to be honest, i would still imagine that the intended behavior of nightmode is not use the flash, unless set to ON (instead of auto/off).

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it, the Night mode with Auto mode comes out very dark in low light without the flash. Try it in a dark room, you can't see anything in the picture. It worked perfectly before.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I think this is related to the Brightness bug , since Automatic flash uses the brightness sensor to get a read on when to get released , the flash won't go if that sensor got a read (which tends to over read in this brightness bug)
Try to cover the sensor( next to the front camera) , and see if it works

If you want to use flash at night it'll be mainly for people , thus Nokia created Night Portrait which actually uses flash.... So its not a bug , Night for pictures that don't need flash , Night Portrait if for ones you might want flash in...
Cheers

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I think this is related to the Brightness bug , since Automatic flash uses the brightness sensor to get a read on when to get released , the flash won't go if that sensor got a read (which tends to over read in this brightness bug)
Try to cover the sensor( next to the front camera) , and see if it works

If you want to use flash at night it'll be mainly for people , thus Nokia created Night Portrait which actually uses flash.... So its not a bug , Night for pictures that don't need flash , Night Portrait if for ones you might want flash in...
Cheers

I already know Night Portrait mode works with Flash Auto. Read my posts above. Night mode with Auto Flash doesn't. This is a bug. It worked before the Portico update. Night mode and Night Portait mode are pretty much samething to me. One works with Auto Flash and the other isn't.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I already know Night Portrait mode works with Flash Auto. Read my posts above. Night mode with Auto Flash doesn't. This is a bug. It worked before the Portico update. Night mode and Night Portait mode are pretty much samething to me. One works with Auto Flash and the other isn't.

Hmmm, So in your opinion what calls for the use of flash at night scenes ? Short range objects , thus portrait works. perhaps the fact that it worked before Portico is the bug.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Like I said before, Auto Flash is not Flash Disabled. Why would Auto Flash is the same as Flash Off? It should know when to use it on Auto. It worked fine for me before the update.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Your logic is invalid . Auto Flash means determine which is best ... but when you set a Mode that is incompatible with flash its autoflash's responsibility to not go off , for example if you want to get an over exposed picture autoflash should stop . Which is what night mode is ... Again the fact that it worked before the update doesn't prove its the right thing , in fact It might've been a bug that got sorted out.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Even at night, you still have bright environment, that is when it doesn't need to use a flash, but when I am in a dark or very low light room and it still doesn't use Flash on Auto mode. Pictures will come out very dark or just black. That is not right. Auto Flash works in Night Portrait mode and not Night mode.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Tell me the different between Night Portrait mode and Night mode, and why Auto Flash works on Night Portrait mode and not Night mode? Night mode still uses Flash when you have Flash On. It just won't work with Auto Flash. You say this is not a bug? Must be new feature to only the Lumia 920.

Last edited:

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
@monlosez3:
probably Microsoft re-consider the approach to Night Mode and disable the auto-flash in the update, like it or not. You can try:
-- use auto mode with flash enable
-- use Night Portrait mode
it doesn't harm to take a chill pill either now and then...

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
@monlosez3:
probably Microsoft re-consider the approach to Night Mode and disable the auto-flash in the update, like it or not. You can try:
-- use auto mode with flash enable
-- use Night Portrait mode
it doesn't harm to take a chill pill either now and then...

I am just here to report a bug. Night mode with Auto Flash on other phones work like they should. It would be weird for Microsoft to do such thing. It wouldn't be intuitive. Some people here act like Steve Jobs, like there is nothing wrong and everything is perfect.

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
If night mode should behave exactly the same as night portrait mode, why do You think there is night mode AND night portrait mode??

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
They shouldn't call it "Flash Auto" if it never used the Flash in Night mode.

It uses or doesn't use the flash automatically depending on the mode you are in and the environment. Think of it like common sense for the camera. If you want it On when it would turn it off change the mode to On.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb