My 920 camera is still worse than my 800 after portico

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
After getting sick of my 920 camera's poor performance I flashed the portico update + firmware (Australia - black) from navifirm. Unfortunately this has done nothing for the camera. I did a comparison with my Lumia 800 to show just how bad it is. These are 100% crops of photos taken from the same point less than 20 seconds apart with the same focal point.

The colours in the 800 shots are dead accurate and there is significantly more detail. Colours in the 920s shots are waaay off. Noise is equally bad in both, which is to be expected from the 800, but is extremely disappointing coming from the 920.

For both images 800 is on the left and 920 on the right:

100percent_800_vs_920.jpg100percent_800_vs_920_2.jpg

Could this be an issue with the version I got off Nokia's servers? Should I reflash original firmware and just wait for the update to go live? Or should I try get a replacement device?

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you have the camera update on your phone. Both Verge and WPcentral did before and after shots pr1.0 vs pr1.1 and there is a clear difference in sharpness and colour balance. 'Portico' update doesn't fix the camera. Its just OS. I think it's the firmware and I guess only AT&T have recieved the new firmware with camera fix.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you have the camera update on your phone. Both Verge and WPcentral did before and after shots pr1.0 vs pr1.1 and there is a clear difference in sharpness and colour balance. 'Portico' update doesn't fix the camera. Its just OS. I think it's the firmware and I guess only AT&T have recieved the new firmware with camera fix.

portico update is indeed the camera fix also. nokia included the camera fix with portico, which is why it took longer for nokia to get the portico update out.

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The firmware has changed to the same number as the firmwares for At&t and Rogers and yes camera fix is with portico update. I'm just thinking. Is the camera hardware the same in both rm820, rm821 ? Or maybe some batches have parts from different suppliers ?
When its come to my model. Sharpness is better but still not as good as my "old" iphone 4s.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the exact same thing on my 920. I tried several different firmware updatess from Navifirm including the Belgium Proximus, Hong Kong unbranded, and German T-Mobile.

All of the other Portico improvements were present, but the camera showed zero improvement. I too wonder if the firmware populated on the Navifirm servers has the camera fix at all and/or if the camera hardware is the same on the RM-820 and RM-821. The RM-820 clearly got a major camera improvement in their OTA update, but I haven't seen a single picture from a retail RM-821 before or after the update that can match the pics coming from the RM-820 after the update.

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It does seem then that the camera update is only present for US 920s at the moment. I have created a ticket with Nokia care in the hopes of getting some more information about this.

I'm still a little dubious about the US PR1.1 comparison shots I've seen. To me they still lack detail despite being sharper (they look like just a sharpened version of the messy detail-lacking blur that was PR1.0) and I still think the 800 will compare favourably to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3