windows phone 8 os system update

M Zayed

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
i have just got my WP8 Lumia 920 i am having problems with the battery life my OS is v1.6.1.62 i herd that their an new version but win i try to up date i didn't get it.

so any one can help me

I am from Mid Est reign (Bahrain)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
i have just got my WP8 Lumia 920 i am having problems with the battery life my OS is v1.6.1.62 i herd that their an new version but win i try to up date i didn't get it.

so any one can help me

Wait till the update is rolled out to your country. Meanwhile charge fully and drain fully for about 4-5 cycles and then may be your will find it better.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

so any one can help me

The Portico update has only been released for Canada and the USA at this time. It will be rolled out to the rest of the world in early 2013. In the case of your battery you should make sure you don't leave apps running in the background. So use the back-button to quit apps and not the Windows Home key. Nokia Drive+ Beta is the main app that kills the battery and can be stopped from running in the background by going to settings then swipe left and select Background tasks and look for any app you don't want to run in the background and block them.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
This is false. Modern batteries do not need conditioning.

What makes you say this? Li-Ion batteries do need a few charging cycles to achieve optimum performance, ergo they need "conditioning". Maybe you are confusing how the older Ni-Cad batteries behaved which had a "memory" and needed to be fully drained between charges for optimal performance.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't suggest draining the battery... Completely draining an ion battery over and over can cause it to destabilize over time.. It needs to maintain some positively charged particles in order to keep as many of the cells alive as long as possible to maintain the life of the battery.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't suggest draining the battery... Completely draining an ion battery over and over can cause it to destabilize over time.. It needs to maintain some positively charged particles in order to keep as many of the cells alive as long as possible to maintain the life of the battery.

i dont think rockstarzzz was suggesting do it every time for the life of your phone. just once or twice to condition it then keep it fully charge as much as you can from there on out. also, mobile operating systems dont let batteries completely drain anymore, they shut off before that happens. so it's not a "complete" drain.

One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise— running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan.

what i did on my sister phone when she got it for christmas was i let her set up her accounts. plugged the phone into the wall (only had 40% life). installed portico update. installed all the nokia updates (like audio, network+ etc). let the battery drain til the phone turned off (since the phone ships with half the battery not having a charge anyway). then completely charge it to full through the wall. since then she has said the battery life has been very good and she has no compalints. (this is a black 920)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
i dont think rockstarzzz was suggesting do it every time for the life of your phone. just once or twice to condition it then keep it fully charge as much as you can from there on out. also, mobile operating systems dont let batteries completely drain anymore, they shut off before that happens. so it's not a "complete" drain.

One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise? running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan.

what i did on my sister phone when she got it for christmas was i let her set up her accounts. plugged the phone into the wall (only had 40% life). installed portico update. installed all the nokia updates (like audio, network+ etc). let the battery drain til the phone turned off (since the phone ships with half the battery not having a charge anyway). then completely charge it to full through the wall. since then she has said the battery life has been very good and she has no compalints. (this is a black 920)

That.

And also, battery won't need conditioning per say but battery saver mode will need to gauge usage to better reflect battery levels from zero to hundred.

Also, if anyone else has noticed WP8 shuts down with battery level at 2-3%. At least my 920 does. So you will never totally drain battery in new smartphones.

M Zayed

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply i'll Wait till the update is rolled out to my country & do the apps running in the background. t'll keep that in mind

steve kaufmann

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I really hate to be a pain, but you seem to know what your talking about. Also, when you go into battery saver in settings, my first phone says in battery info the following: remaining battery life estimated time remaining and time since last charge, the new or replacement only says remaining battery life. Again, not a big deal just wondering why it is doing this. Its not a big deal, just wondering why the old and new phone are different with the battery saver and app index which gave me a a to z index for my apps, the new phone does not. Thanks

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a replacement 920 and my new one came with an updated firmware. And it doesn't always show the "Time since last charge" in battery saver, only sometimes. No big deal for me.
The A to Z index will only appear once your app count reaches 40+ apps.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I really hate to be a pain, but you seem to know what your talking about. Also, when you go into battery saver in settings, my first phone says in battery info the following: remaining battery life estimated time remaining and time since last charge, the new or replacement only says remaining battery life. Again, not a big deal just wondering why it is doing this. Its not a big deal, just wondering why the old and new phone are different with the battery saver and app index which gave me a a to z index for my apps, the new phone does not. Thanks

You will see more info in battery saver mode after 2-3 cycles when the phone recognises your last charge and usage pattern.

Also app index only kicks in after you've installed more than 41 apps. Till then there is no indexing. After that it is automatically indexed.
Reason being 41 apps are only within a swipe or two. Any more and you have to swipe a lot more so they give you app letter index to make life easier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss