Currently have Galaxy S3, considering Lumia 920 (im on at&t)

Scadoosh

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
i've had the GS3 since close to launch and have been pretty happy with it, but recently had a chance to to go a MS store to look at the surface tablets. Since i was there i decided to look at the phones just for kicks and was pleasantly surprised with the lumia 920. Has anyone here switched from the gs3 to the 920 and are you happy with your decision? Also what would be the best way to acquire a new 920 and sell the gs3? i bought the gs3 with a new 2 year contract so cant get the discounted price for a new phone. Thanks!

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
i've had the GS3 since close to launch and have been pretty happy with it, but recently had a chance to to go a MS store to look at the surface tablets. Since i was there i decided to look at the phones just for kicks and was pleasantly surprised with the lumia 920. Has anyone here switched from the gs3 to the 920 and are you happy with your decision? Also what would be the best way to acquire a new 920 and sell the gs3? i bought the gs3 with a new 2 year contract so cant get the discounted price for a new phone. Thanks!

i switched from an s3 to a lumia 820 but then switched to an 8x, i wanted the 920 but its locked to one network in the uk and im half way through my contract so couldn't change network.

Im mostly happy with wp8, really needs more apps, the core are there but that wont keep people forever, i haven't regretted it so far though.

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Previous S3 and Note 2 owner here. I couldn't be happier with the switch. I sold both previous Androids on eBay and picked up the Lumia off contract at AT&T. WP8 does have some quirks here and there, but was a much needed change for me. In fact, I would have switched over earlier in the year if WP 7.5 had supported HD screen resolutions.

I was always flashing roms on Android trying to get each device to run as smooth as this one does. The Lumia and WP8 just work. I just use the device instead of constant tinkering to get it to work correctly. It's also nice to receive updates pretty quickly instead of waiting ~6 months or so after they've been released.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
omg you sound just like me!!!!!!!!!!! I needed the change, always doing roms spending way to much time with that..haha

Windows is like a breathe of fresh air for me.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
To answer to your last question: you might get $400 for your S3 on ebay. Use the proceeds to put towards the $450 price tag of a new 920.

Yudy Herwibowo

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
i have both phones...and love them just as much :) every os has their own advantages and disadvantages obviously. in terms battery life and apps, i would say s3 has the advantages, but in terms of UI and looks, lumia 920 obviously has the advantages. just my 2 cent's :)

A790

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it!

I have a Lumia 920 (as does my fiance) and we both have had nothing but problems with them since we go them. I can't in good conscience recommend this phone to anyone until it gets its issues resolved. Conversely, my Galaxy Note II for work has never had a single issue. The Lumia 920 is plagued with them.

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it!

I have a Lumia 920 (as does my fiance) and we both have had nothing but problems with them since we go them. I can't in good conscience recommend this phone to anyone until it gets its issues resolved. Conversely, my Galaxy Note II for work has never had a single issue. The Lumia 920 is plagued with them.
Mine works perfect. In fact, it's the best device I've ever owned and i've had most top end Android devices released this year (Note, One X, Galaxy S3, and Note 2). Go figure. 😜

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
To say "Don't do it" based on your bad experience isn't fair to those who have had good experiences with their 920's. It's like saying don't buy a Ford because you got one lemon out of the millions they sold that weren't.

I'm not downplaying your unfortunate experience, but a blanket statement like that is a little reckless.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Don't do it!

What problems have you experienced?

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it!

Rubbish...the 920 is a killer device that works great for millions so far. You got one lemon. Put on your big boy pants...call Nokia and explain your issues. They will take care of you.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Rubbish...the 920 is a killer device that works great for millions so far. You got one lemon. Put on your big boy pants...call Nokia and explain your issues. They will take care of you.

What this guy said.

Mine had constant problems (boot loops--the network+ update could be the culprit & FFC dust), so I went to MS store they replaced my cyan with a cyan. :D
No problems or boot loops so far! :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't come from an Android phone, but just wanted to chip in as one of those who were new to WP but have had an absolutely fantastic experience so far!

A790

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Please. This is my THIRD Lumia 920. Both my fiance and I got one at the same time. We had to take hers back the day after we got it as it was highly unstable, crashed constantly, wouldn't connect to WiFi, etc. Unfortunately I am beyond my grace period for returning my phone in-store so I now have to wait for the holiday to end so I can deal with Nokia directly.

I didn't get one lemon, I got two... out of three total identical devices. Leave your condescension at the door and look at this forum. There are more threads posting about issues than there are actual discussion about the phone itself.

Heck, in my thread I made regarding my phone randomly turning itself off when charging 11 of the 17 total replies are from different people experiencing the same issue (see thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/210586-lumia-920-shuts-down-when-charging.html). You don't find that concerning?

Based on my experience, across three different devices, I am unable to recommend this phone. It would be negligent of me to do so based on the circumstances. One of my prior phones was a Samsung Focus which was entirely problem free. This Nokia has proven to be the complete opposite.

Both my fiance and I have issues with Bluetooth audio streaming (crackles/pops, poor sound quality overall). Mine turns off when it is plugged in to charge. Mine randomly removes songs that have been synced, even when the phone hasn't been plugged in. But yes, you're right, I'll ignore those things and still recommend this abortion of a smartphone.

scmurphy13

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I had originally bought a 920 when they were first released. I've always liked WP and the 920 seemed like a nice upgrade from previous WP devices. I had it for about a week and returned it. I guess I got scared of the lack of support for WP from bigger companies. I went to a Nexus 4. I love the Nexus 4 and have been an Android user since the G1. I've also used BB and iOS in there, as well. My problem is, I get bored. Someone is tempting me with a black 920. Claims to have had it since launch but used one day. I'm considering it because I enjoy WP, and since I'm getting a Nexus 7 this weekend, I can have the best of both worlds, right?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
S3 is the perfect Andriod. To be honest wp8 still buggy and young, so you should be prepare if you decide to do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos