Planning to go back to N8 because of the camera

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I bought a lumia 920 like a month ago, had to sell my N8 for that. I'm in love with this phone but my only problem is the camera. The pictures taken with my Lumia 920, though they look great on the phone, the moment i put them on my comp, i feel i made a mistake getting this phone. The pics I took with my N8 were awesome, so I'm kinda depressed right now and was contemplating going back to the N8. Do u think it is right? I know in the end it is my decision but just wanted to get your opinion on this. Will nokia release any further updates for this ( i already downloaded the portico update).

Thanks in advance!

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
To be honest if the camera is that important to you (like you depend from it, or you use it for your job) and you think that the N8 is better, well switch.. Otherwise, the Lumia 920 will be a better choice. Of course Nokia is going to deliver more updates.. On the other side the N8 doesn't even have Belle FP2 the software on the N8 is not that good.. If you want to go back to symbian at least sell the 920 for around $350-400 and then buy a 808 Pureview.. then you will have the BEST cameraphone on the world HANDS DOWN and the latest Symbian software..

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The only camera on a phone that's better than the N8 is the N9. If the camera is the only thing you need to work well on your device than sure go back. Do you remember how slow that phone is. The Symbian software is way dated slow and sluggish. Is that really what you want? I still have my N8 I like to play with it I would never go back. The only reason I have it is for when I travel outside the US. I don't care if every picture I took with my L920 had a large turd in I wouldn't go back to the N8 no way not verses the 920.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you on the photos; I took a look at some on the PC and they went blurry on minimal zoom, despite the resolution being 3000x2200 (or something like that). I agree with other posters and wouldn't go back to an older slower phone with an obsolete OS; overall, the 920 should be a better phone/camera choice.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a Lumia 900, and retired my N8 even though it runs virtually bug free. Occasionally, I snapped pics at 12MP; however, the majority of the time, I kept my N8 camera settings at 9MP(16:9) because that was the best aspect ratio for my snaps. While the pics on my N8 are slightly better than my Lumia 900, there is no way on earth that I would willingly chose to go back to using Symbian. I will keep my N8 as backup, but neither the camera on the N8 or the 808 is enough to make me switch from Windows Phone.

But as someone mentioned above, if the camera phone is the main priority for you and you don't mind using Symbian on a daily basis, the 808 would be your best bet due to the FP2 update, larger screen and better hardware than the N8.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
To be honest if the camera is that important to you (like you depend from it, or you use it for your job) and you think that the N8 is better, well switch.. Otherwise, the Lumia 920 will be a better choice. Of course Nokia is going to deliver more updates.. On the other side the N8 doesn't even have Belle FP2 the software on the N8 is not that good.. If you want to go back to symbian at least sell the 920 for around $350-400 and then buy a 808 Pureview.. then you will have the BEST cameraphone on the world HANDS DOWN and the latest Symbian software..

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, but will probably exceed my budget (on a tight one, the reason had to sell off my N8, otherwise wouldn't have).

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
...why not get an actual camera?

Can't, like I mentioned in the post above (not the first one), on a tight budget...also I think it is better to get a phone with an excellent camera along with some features that i need than to buy a camera and a phone and carry the camera wherever you go...

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm dissappointed with the camera as well. BUT, I will not go back to an Android/iPhone for awhile. So, I sold my iPhone 5, and my 920 and purchased an 808, and iPad Mini (for the apps that I do use on a regular basis) so I'm pretty content.

I loved my 920, but the camera is definitely overhyped. I am hoping to jump back on the WP platform in a few years when it's more developed with applications that I will actually use on it, and hopefully Nokia makes a WP with 808 PureView capabilities.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
To people who are saying "buy a real camera":

Some people actually don't want to carry a bunch of things, such as a camera, music player, laptop, notepad, phone, gaming device, etc. That's why we have smartphones.

In the next 5-10 years with the way optics are going, point and shoot cameras will basically go the way of the music CD and smartphones will replace them entirely.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
My return is in the midst of being processed, so I can't yet say whether I've successfully off-loaded my 920, but I agree with you. I'm returning to my Pureview 808. I tried multiple firmwares right up to the morning of Christmas Eve and ultimately decided not to entrust the 920 with my Christmas photos. Opting for the 808 on Christmas turned out to be brilliant and I ended up with the best Christmas pictures I've ever taken.

For me, the 808 is much better than the N8 as it doesn't suffer from lag at all and covers almost all of the functionality bases for me (email, browsing, office support, tethering, FM transmitter, VOIP). The 808 does lack a number of nice-to-have apps that the 920 has (especially banking) and some hardware pluses (mainly the 920's great hi-res screen), but not enough to ruin the sheer pleasure provided by the 808's camera. The 808 camera is great on almost all occasions. Red-eye can occasionally be an issue on indoor flash shots, although its easy to fix with editing on the phone.

I've gone back to waiting for a true Pureview camera on a Windows Phone device. In the mean time, I continue to be wowed by my Pureview 808.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To people who are saying "buy a real camera":

Some people actually don't want to carry a bunch of things, such as a camera, music player, laptop, notepad, phone, gaming device, etc. That's why we have smartphones.

In the next 5-10 years with the way optics are going, point and shoot cameras will basically go the way of the music CD and smartphones will replace them entirely.

I personally don't want to wait 5-10 years to take photos I'm happy with. If someone is at the point with their photography where they're pixel-peeping and comparing between the N8 and N900 and seriously suggesting using a two-year-old phone with a dead OS *just* for the camera, it means they're into photography enough to at least sacrifice 7oz of their daily gear to carry around a Canon S110 or Lumix LX7, or make the jump to a small ILS.

I suppose if space is truly at a premium and everything else is either not necessary or okay to be sacrificed (including the outlay of cash for an off-contract device), then the 808 would be a better choice anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro