Forbes hit piece on the 920

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
One other quick Q. Are you in a city or out? I.e. what signal strength do you have on your phone? Wondering if bad battery is when the phone is further from the tower.

Thanks

IM in the ca in a big city with lte. I've experienced both a good and bad phone so signal I don't think plays a big factor for me.

So to answer your question, im in a major lte city and have no lte issues where I live with the good phone.

With the bad phone I had, the battery was bad in the same area so tower location was not an issue. That battery or phone was the issue.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
"In comparison, the iPhone 5 camera did a good job under the same conditions, which I’m sure is also the case with the Galaxy S3."

I think this sums it up pretty well. This so called reviewer in his objective review guessed that the S3 must do a better job but he actually didn't test but if he could he knows it must be better. But don't worry his iPhone 5 did well but we aren't going to show anyone the pictures just take his word on it.

I hate drivel like this. It's sad people actually buy into this crap too.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The weight/bulk think is entirely subjective. I think it feels incredibly solid, and now when i pick up a galaxy s3 or iphone 5, i feel like i could snap in in half if i tapped it too hard.

The battery life is something Nokia needs to get out ahead of. It's completely manageable, and many people on these forums have found that it's a software issue, the phone turns itself off with plenty of juice left, and until you give it a full drain, it won't know how much is really left.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Why is there such a negative connotation using the phrase "is heavier than..." when in all honesty the Lumia 920 does weigh more than most devices?
It absolutely is one of the heaviest phones on the market today. I think that the negative reactions to reviews noting the weight are because so many of those reviews then state or imply that 6.6oz is too heavy to be useable.

As an experiment, I put my 920 on a desk in front of our business managers and said that there was a problem with the phone. Each lady picked it up and asked what was wrong. I explained that it was too heavy to use and they both looked at me like I was crazy. One pulled out her iPhone4s (in a case, but not a giant OtterBox) and said that it was roughly the same weight. While that is true, whether the iPhone-in-a-case vs bare-920 comparison is a fair one is subjective.

For me, I think that the Samsung phones (Focus S, GS3, etc) are too light. That makes the iPhone5 way too light. For me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It absolutely is one of the heaviest phones on the market today. I think that the negative reactions to reviews noting the weight are because so many of those reviews then state or imply that 6.6oz is too heavy to be useable.

As an experiment, I put my 920 on a desk in front of our business managers and said that there was a problem with the phone. Each lady picked it up and asked what was wrong. I explained that it was too heavy to use and they both looked at me like I was crazy. One pulled out her iPhone4s (in a case, but not a giant OtterBox) and said that it was roughly the same weight. While that is true, whether the iPhone-in-a-case vs bare-920 comparison is a fair one is subjective.

For me, I think that the Samsung phones (Focus S, GS3, etc) are too light. That makes the iPhone5 way too light. For me.

I tried a friend's Samsung Galaxy SIII, first when she had it naked and then when she had a case on it. I found it to be too light and slippery without a case. When it had a case on it, it felt fine. It wasn't just the weight but the slippery feel. I had trouble gripping it, and my hands were clean and dry: no sweating, moisturizer, etc.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
can i have all the fanbois take a seat??? the author of that article is not hating on the lumia. he's simply writing his experience with the phone. are any of the issues he listed invalid?? no, this is what many of our members post here as well. heck, i've gone through 3 920s and i've had 4/5 issues he's listed. still having the battery issue but i think i got it figured out (right now, i'm blaming the lack-of signal strength).

idk how many of you received a 920 in good working order since day one, but i've gone through similar issues as this author has. the only reason i've given nokia/micro so many chances is due to the fact that i don't find any other smartphone attractive at this moment and i feel like nokia/micro is working diligently to bring out updates to remedy the problems. ie, the daytime photo seems to have gotten a lot better after the update was issued.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
can i have all the fanbois take a seat??? the author of that article is not hating on the lumia. he's simply writing his experience with the phone. are any of the issues he listed invalid?? no, this is what many of our members post here as well. heck, i've gone through 3 920s and i've had 4/5 issues he's listed. still having the battery issue but i think i got it figured out (right now, i'm blaming the lack-of signal strength).

idk how many of you received a 920 in good working order since day one, but i've gone through similar issues as this author has. the only reason i've given nokia/micro so many chances is due to the fact that i don't find any other smartphone attractive at this moment and i feel like nokia/micro is working diligently to bring out updates to remedy the problems. ie, the daytime photo seems to have gotten a lot better after the update was issued.
What the author did not mention at all is if he always used AT&T, or if he switched to AT&T for the 920.

I have always recommended that people consider coverage first, not a particular device. If the coverage is lacking, the coolest device in the world will be nothing but a call-dropping, battery eating problem. That's what happened when everyone decided to get the original iPhone. Many of them found that AT&T's coverage was lacking, and they found out the hard way.

It is much better to ask neighbors where you live how their coverage is with a particular carrier before choosing to switch to that carrier. I've never relied on the carrier's coverage maps.

The author's issues with the battery life might not have anything to do with the device. It might just be AT&T has lousy coverage and another carrier would be more suitable.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced both type of battery performances, two 920s with terrible batter life and one with good battery life.

You can put the blame on some apps, but I was able to restore my settings and apps from my original 920 that had major battery issues into a 2nd phone. THe 2nd phone battery life was great and could last me more than a day easily with the same exact settings and apps. After performing well, i pushed the 2nd phone harder downloading more apps, appsi didn't need and apps i did need with more apps running in the background and the 2nd phone performed just as good as basic settings. Now i get a 3rd phone, you may ask why i gave up my 2nd phone, i gave it to a family member bcause her phone bricked. So i get the 3rd phone, did a restore and not only did i get battery drain, now i get a rebooting problem with a phone that came with the "portico" update. An update that was supposed to rectify the rebooting issue.

So in my experience and my experience the world revolves around, apps had nothing to do with my terrible bad experiences, the phone itself was the issue.

5 of my immediate family members have 920s uincluding myself, 3 of them were defective. There is an issue with these devices, and coming from an iphone from 2007-2011 and never having to do a warranty exchange for them, i've experienced multiple with nokia's 900 and 920 within a year.

So it is true, it is like a lottery, the chances you get a good phone and a bad phone is not so different.

If you are gonna do any sort of comparison you should do it with no apps on the phones and you shouldn't restore it as that might cause problems. The test you did has too many variables to rule out software.

There were some thread on the forums where people tested some benchmark app to see the runtime of their battery, it was funny to see that both people reporting bad battery life and people reporting 2 day battery life getting around the same runtime with the benchmark drawing equal power on both devices. That supports the theory that it is not the battery that is broken, it could be software that is the cause.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i will say this from my experience. i have a gs3 and lumia 920. both flagships of their company's. i am a fan of technology, not a specific company. my gs3 (on my 2nd one) does indeed get worse battery life than my lumia 920. that's not biased, thats fact. i can go all day on my lumia 920 doing the EXACT same thing's with the exact same amount of time doing these things as my gs3, and my gs3 needs to be recharged throughout the day or it wont make it. my lumia 920 doesnt. but it will be around 30% battery life. i use my phone alot because my job needs me to. there's nothing the gs3 can do that my lumia 920 cant do. i like both of them. i switch days between using both of them. the forbes author must have not used a gs3. if he had, and he was unbiased, he would be putting in that article "while not as bad as a galaxy s3, the lumia 920's battery could be better". i use the camera on both of these phones. first off, the gs3's video capture quality is not even close to the lumia's. that's not even debatable. the gs3 at times will take a better picture as far as clarity goes than the lumia 920. the low-light comparison isnt even debatable, lumia 920 wins. the gs3 has a microsd card slot, i wish the lumia 920 did also. even with it already having 32gb (26gb usable).

forbes isnt the only site that seems to have an agenda towards windows phone. lots of times on phonearena i am calling out the author of the article on being clearly biased. these sites have ppl or company's that give them money to report certain things. also, a biased article will get alot more traffic than an unbiased article because it will bring the fans of both sides to argue in the comments. the days of unbiased articles are pretty much gone. you come across a couple a month and it makes you appreciative, but for every unbiased article there are 5 written that same day that are biased. (just made up that statistic to get my point across) it's the way journalism is today. no more journalism integrity to make sure the public gets the truth. thats gone.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
My first defective phone I backed up before and restored when I got the 2nd phone. Exact settings I didn't want to change anything, the 2nd phone battery life was great.

I had to get a third phone so I backed up and restored to the third phone and the battery life sucked. So I've been on both sides of a restore performing well and bad.

So I decided to do a factory reset and do a complete reinstall from scratch. I had no background tasks, less apps no what Sapp Skype and the phone still drained. So the phone is defective. Doesn't matter to me if its the battery or software, the fact of the matter is, its bad and whether its the software or battery doesn't really change anything.

So I'm getting another replacement again. If I do a restore, I should expect almost the same performance, the fact the performance was even worse in addition to random reboots, it frustrating. Especially when the phone came with portico.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Invertme, you never have overheating issues? not even with browsing and playing high powered games?

Nope. At the most I got a very slight warming of the back but nothing that seemed abnormal. It gets its warmest when charging but cools down almost right away when I pull it off the charger - but still not very warm or not what's normal for a phone.

My wife's got hot right away when she first got her white 920. It was quite warm but only did it once. I had her hard reset the phone and it's never happened since.

I also get a about 30 hours of use and like I said I use my phone a lot. I am a wordament addict.. I pretty much play a game every time I have a free few minutes.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Invertme, wow, i must be rather unfortunate then....

may I know how many hours of IE/web browsing can you get from the phone? (cellular or wifi, please specify) Thanks.

I am quite sure mine doesn't last longer than 5 hours of full cellular browsing if I use it from fully charged state.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You people amuse me. His experience is right on par with quite a few actually, me included. I know you think the world revolves around you and your experience with phone is the only one that matters. Read the forums on this sight. He didn't put anything in the article that probably wasn't true of his experience with phone. Bad battery life, camera fuzziness, bricked phone after reset. Have you not read the forums? All pretty common experiences with the 920. I'm glad you have had a nice experience with 920 but quite a few have not. For a flagship phone I would expect better. From Nokia I would hope for much better results. It's his experience, not yours.

Actually, given forums are places where people flock to complain, the volume of complaints is quite low for WP8 devices. There is also a certain irony in someone saying "I know you think the world revolves around you and your experience with phone is the only one that matters." and then positing an opinion that is based upon their own experience and then assuming that is the norm for the average user. Ranks up there with people who like to say they are giving an objective opinion about something in contrast to everyone else's subjective opinions.

Last edited:

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, the lil woman came home from work with a drained 920. I think we jinxed her by talking about it. Her phone got hot and the battery died.

This still hasn't happened to me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol, the article is filled with haters with their subjective opinion... Not even worth commenting on that article.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
@realwarder - it looks like you just got your phone. I have an 822 and had the same issue initially. Drain the battery, recharge, and repeat a couple of times. Once you have done that, you will get much better battery life. I can go 36 hours with moderate usage and about 15 hours with heavier usage. Don't judge the battery or the phone quite yet on just getting the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz