Forbes hit piece on the 920

ianwasheretoo

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
i guess the lumia 920 devices are like lottery devices... some are okay, some are great, and some are defective. I've read many positive comments and negative comments from different customers... If you're lucky... you'll get a good battery...

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy reading various other Forbes articles, but this was just a travesty. I can assume he got a faulty Lumia (which Nokia only has to blame themselves for due to lack of quality control), but a stable Lumia should be getting you through a full day with regular usage easily. His comments about low light photo taking being terrible made me shake my head, because everyone and their moms know what the Lumia can do under low light conditions.

Far as the whole heavy/big debate...well to each their own.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
why can't I comment on this website. This is such a shame coming from such an admirable website.
Pretty much all pure ... this person has to get fired for writing such disgusting article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
It's an interesting question, isn't it? Search other Forbes reviews and comments are open. This one is mysteriously closed.

It's not mysterious that it is closed. Bad PR when you can call out a journalist lies, of course they will disable comments when they notice people are catching on to their made up article.

If we ignore the fact that the review was written like a 9 year old writes a book report ( short and just rambling through some things about said book) there are still many issues. He lies about just about everything he put in the review, especially the battery life.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not mysterious that it is closed. Bad PR when you can call out a journalist lies...

Possibly. Do you have other examples of mainstream sites shutting down discussion prematurely due to negative comments? It's not something I've ever noticed.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Possibly. Do you have other examples of mainstream sites shutting down discussion prematurely due to negative comments? It's not something I've ever noticed.

No links but it happens quite often that you see comments shut down on articles published the same day, not in tech articles perhaps but other articles where the author is biased.

I do find it funny that he thinks he can lie that much about battery life without anyone noticing, doing what he claims he did as light usage (plus I listen to streamed music a few hours) my battery lasts 2 days easy before it is time to charge at around 40%.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
... light usage (plus I listen to streamed music a few hours) my battery lasts 2 days easy before it is time to charge at around 40%.

If you're really going 48 hours between charges and still having 40% in the tank, you're not using your 920 much at all. Questionable whether I could do that on standby.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Bah! Wanted to comment too! Anyway, all those that were posting were rather childish anyway -- including some of the nokia fans. I'm also flabbergasted as to why Nokia sent them a defective phone...unless they bought it at a retailer themselves? Anyway, the article was not a review...I'm not exactly sure what that was but it was not fair.

There are a lot of quality control issues but don't all smartphones have them? Anyway, I'm happy with my lumia 920 and the people who matter are going to see that article as trash anyway and will go to other places.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
If you're really going 48 hours between charges and still having 40% in the tank, you're not using your 920 much at all. Questionable whether I could do that on standby.

When I said 2 days I meant 7 A.M. to around 11 P.M. the day after so around 40 hours. If I go 48 hours I am usually at 31% or so. Some days I lose more of course, if I have no meetings and listen to music most of the day at work I might be down to 20% after 40 hours, but if I only listen to music 2-3 hours, some phone calls, email, texting, a bit browsing (basically general use) I will be around 40% after 40 hours. Only thing off is the super sensitive screen option and NFC. I always use LTE and only LTE, never wifi except for uploading photos to skydrive. I stay away from bugged apps like WhatsApp and Facebook, even Skype will get my phone really hot and drain my battery. Even Netflix causes less drain than these bugged apps.

If im in a 3G only area and keep LTE on as max connection speed I will get massive drain though since it seems to be searching for LTE all the time. Then I can be down to 50% after 20 hours or so.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
You people amuse me. His experience is right on par with quite a few actually, me included. I know you think the world revolves around you and your experience with phone is the only one that matters. Read the forums on this sight. He didn't put anything in the article that probably wasn't true of his experience with phone. Bad battery life, camera fuzziness, bricked phone after reset. Have you not read the forums? All pretty common experiences with the 920. I'm glad you have had a nice experience with 920 but quite a few have not. For a flagship phone I would expect better. From Nokia I would hope for much better results. It's his experience, not yours.

shura30

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
he's only telling the hard truth, i do not agree on the whole start screen part (because it is already a "favorites")

but battery life, camera, overheat, hangups are serious problems nokia/ms need to address asap
you may not have encountered them but if you had at least one or two simultaneously yuo know what i'm talking about

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
You people amuse me. His experience is right on par with quite a few actually, me included. I know you think the world revolves around you and your experience with phone is the only one that matters. Read the forums on this sight. He didn't put anything in the article that probably wasn't true of his experience with phone. Bad battery life, camera fuzziness, bricked phone after reset. Have you not read the forums? All pretty common experiences with the 920. I'm glad you have had a nice experience with 920 but quite a few have not. For a flagship phone I would expect better. From Nokia I would hope for much better results. It's his experience, not yours.

a) A journalist is supposed to be objective.

b) I've found that WP 8 requires the user to use their own brain to think, there are bugged applications out there which you might want to avoid to get good battery life. This is where most problems come from, people won't think and instead scream bad battery life when they would gain from thinking about what is making their battery life bad. Of course there are faulty devices and batteries but all problems won't be from that.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

While he has documented legitimate issues for a good number of Nokia handsets, he is essentially undertoning that the Nokia Lumia 920 is the worst phone ever and should be destroyed, Nokia should be left to die, and that it should be HTC and Samsung WP handsets only. Now I presume if Nokia does die out, then MS may be able to strike a deal with HTC. However, the fact remains is that Nokia is synchronous with WP. You don't think Windows Phone, you think Nokia Lumia. I don't have an experience with the 920 (don't own one), but I think he should have been more objective than making undertones of "Nokia needs to die in a hole". Say what you will, I read those undertones. If that makes me an ignorant know-nothing that needs to also go die in a hole, so be it. I am looking forward to the Nokia Lumia 920 though. And yes, small-time bloggers are OK, like what I would be considered as, but huge names like Forbes should be more objective. Of course, we all know objectivity anywhere is an exercise in futility but still...

Brutos UK

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
"So when I see glorifying reviews of the Lumia 920 from around the Web ? like the UK?s Independent (most advanced smartphone) or Mark Cuban?s (crushes the iPhone 5) ? I wonder if their hatred for the iPhone or Google?s Android ? or their love for Microsoft Windows ? ran so deep that it distorted their reality field."

I stopped reading at this point. Saying other websites are biased while being extremely biased yourself is comical at best, crap journalism at worst. If he had issues with his phone why didn't he request a replacement ? Surely he must of thought his phone was faulty ? Joke website.
:wink:

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
There is no such thing as unbiased opinions anymore. Any news outlet or blog has someone paying the bills and someone's best interest in mind. I don't put much credence in any news or blog or journalist. I do however value my opinion as well as other consumers. If it works for me, that's what matters. I'm no fan boy of any OS or manufacture. It is a piece of hardware, not a religious artifact to be idolized as the end all, be all. It works for me or it doesn't. It aggravates me when the fan boys consider every criticism as a troll or a personal insult. It is a piece of plastic and glass. Don't take it personally. I have nothing to base my opinion of 920 from except my own experiences. Same as the journalist. Nokia put out a mediocre product that didn't live up to the expectations they advertised. Whether design or manufacturing issues, Nokia put their name on it. They have to take the bad with the good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte