NFC + Battery

jarettp

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone out there get a full day out of their 920 with NFC turned on? I had it off for some weeks with decent results but have it on now that the nokia stand actually does something useful. It's noon and my battery is already down to 25% after about 15 minutes of metroradio a couple pictures and some web browsing.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I havent' had NFC enabled since the second week of owning the 920 and watching the battery get sucked dry.
Just haven't run across a time where I can see if things have changed since updating to Portico.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I turned mine off first thing. Then I realized that my girlfriend had hers on all the time. So I turned mine back on and it has stayed on with no effect on battery life.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have everything turned on (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, Location Services, etc). I can go all day -- most days.

I think of the "overheating" issue as the "heating" issue. That is, it's no different than my HTC HD2, HD7, Titan, etc. Using the CPU is going to cause heat. (I tell people to think of computing devices as low-efficiency heaters.) However, I have also noticed times when my phone is warmer than it should be.

In these cases of unexpected heating, I can correlate the heat production with high battery use. This makes sense since the two always go hand in hand. The question is, what circuitry is active to cause the occasional drain? Since third party apps can't multitask except in special cases (GPS tracking, audio streaming, etc), I'm currently pointing the finger toward a first-party app: IE10, specifically pages that it continues to "process" even after we're done with them.

When I notice high heat/drain, I check my app stack to see if IE is loaded. I then switch to it and for each tab, load the same page on my computer to look for JavaScript code that might cause reloading, AJAX calls, or location service updates. With this information, I'm trying to validate/disprove my hypothesis that IE10 is at the heart of the problem (although possibly not the cause). Obviously, I don't always have time for this. In such cases, I just close all tabs to see if that stops the battery drain. If that doesn't work, I restart the phone.

Yes, we shouldn't have to do this much troubleshooting with WP8, but we do have a problem and we're only going to be able to work around it by understanding it (until it's fixed) and we're only going to do that by following the scientific method instead of believing random crap someone who we don't know posted. Comments like "I heard that if you shake it forward/backward while turning off NFC that'll fix it." aren't helpful, despite everyone's desire to spread news of a solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo