Okay, so is the Clicking/Creaking Plastic normal or not?

Dzyen

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My old one *seemed* loose, made the whole phone vibrate like mental. This new one has a very tight vibration, so i'm guessing i dodged that bullet this time. As mentioned above, i'll see if tightening or loosening + re screwing the bottom screws makes a difference when I get a chance. If someone has already done this, please post your experiences !

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
my first lumia was red and it was solid. no creeks or pops and it also didn't have the loose vibrator. my 2nd lumia was white and it popped/creeked and the vibrator was loose. my 3rd lumia is red and no creeks/pops and vibrator is solid. it cant be a color thing right??

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not normal. Mine creaked by sim tray and I was going to live with it, until the whole top part of the casing came loose and started letting dust in. The one I have now makes not sound at all, not loose anywhere. Feels like a tank! Send it in for a replacement. It will only get worse.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not normal. Mine creaked by sim tray and I was going to live with it, until the whole top part of the casing came loose and started letting dust in. The one I have now makes not sound at all, not loose anywhere. Feels like a tank! Send it in for a replacement. It will only get worse.

As I've stated in other threads, I don't think the dust is getting in through the top of the phone, at least not where everybody is describing. My current Lumia has no gap, no pop, no creak, and has dust coming into the FFC. My countless devices before this one did it as well, popping or not. My girlfriend's white one, with zero spacing, has the dust issue. My parents have all gotten dust.

I think the dust is coming into the phone via the ear piece, which is why blowing into it clears out the problem.

SuperJMN

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there a possibility to exchange a phone that was bought by eBay? My Lumia is from WIND (Italy), I live in Spain.

Thanks.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_italy_260 using Board Express

Dzyen

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Update: So i managed to grab my tools and undo the screws at the bottom and re attach the shell, holding down all sides, and making sure the screws are in tight. The creaking has pretty much stopped! I'll test it out over the next day or two and see how it holds up.

Silli Nokia employeez not screwin da screwz in da phonez :angry:

Edit: Spoke too soon. Seems like the creaking has returned. This is really getting on my nerves, WHY NOKIA WHY

Last edited:

leebaboon

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have raised this issue with Nokia and they are not interested. This is the response I got from them. Just a way of saying 'not interested' who in their right mind would send a phone in and be left with nothing whilst they 'look' at the issue.

Dear Mr.

Good day!

To begin with, creaking of the portion of the handset is normal because of the way the handset was designed. We would like to inform you that this is not an actual fault of the handset, rather it is how the handset was created.

Alternatively, if you wish to have us check the handset by our technicians, just to be sure that this is something that is not a physical defect on the handset, would it be amenable for you if you can send the device over so we can perform a through check on it?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Dean
Nokia Service Professional
UK Team
Nokia Care

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
As I've stated in other threads, I don't think the dust is getting in through the top of the phone, at least not where everybody is describing. My current Lumia has no gap, no pop, no creak, and has dust coming into the FFC. My countless devices before this one did it as well, popping or not. My girlfriend's white one, with zero spacing, has the dust issue. My parents have all gotten dust.

I think the dust is coming into the phone via the ear piece, which is why blowing into it clears out the problem.

So only just heard of this problem and checked my phone to see if there's any dust in my camera. Sadly there is, so I'm torn between returning my phone or just keeping it as it's only a minor problem and I rarely use the FFC except for a few skype calls a year. I can also vouch that the dust is coming in through the earpiece as I have no gaps at the top of the phone.

I do feel like returning my phone though, as I do have creaking problems, which I am trying to solve myself (bought a torx screwdriver set for dirt cheap to tighten/loosen screws) and a fairly large gap between the screen and bezel on the lefthand side of the phone which is collecting dust. Minor problems I know but I can't help noticing these little problems and my mind wont be at rest until they're gone.

Anybody used rubber caps to cover the USB and heapdhone port?

DROBinhood

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My original cyan 920 creaked directly over the FFC. The creaking worsened drastically when the phone was warm from use. It seemed to get worse over the first few weeks, and dust started to accumulate beneath the FFC lens.

I wrote an email to Mr. Elop describing how I absolutely loved the phone, but that these two issues are of great concern to be given the expected 2-year lifespan of the device. He had his customer service folks get in touch with me, and they were *very* attentive (multiple emails and phone calls to discuss the issues). The replacement they sent has not shown either of these problems so far, though it's been less than a week. I also got my mother a red 920 around Christmas, and it has not started creaking either.

So no, I don't think it's normal.

Dzyen

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling the matte backing (which is different from the coloured variants except cyan) makes a creaking sound when pressure is applied; just the regular flexing of the plastic.

I just got my 3rd replacement today and it's doing the same creaking thing, but much minor than the other two. It would sort of explain why when the phone heats up the creaking becomes more audible...

Maybe this really is normal (to some extent, depending on individual devices) due to the nature of the plastic.. Mind you, each one of the phones I got were from different shipments according to the Rogers rep.

Unfortunately that's my last in store exchange.. now i've got to directly go to Rogers for a repair or Nokia. I'm gonna try and hold out for a bit, but if it becomes unbearable I guess I've got no other choice! :unhappysweat:

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my black Lumia yesterday for another one due to creaking and dust. Someone else mentioned it and I also noticed that there is a QC Passed sticker on this Lumia's box that was not on the original. So far, no creaking.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Are people really exchanging their phones for some creaking? OCD much? I understand the people that has dust that made it's way to the FFC or proximity sensor so they aren't working properly, but a bit of creaking noise?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Are people really exchanging their phones for some creaking? OCD much? I understand the people that has dust that made it's way to the FFC or proximity sensor so they aren't working properly, but a bit of creaking noise?
my whole top of the phone moved, like you could push the screen in....

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
my concern was the screen might loosen up even more over time, which is why I exchanged my phone. I also had dust in the phone itself, not just the ffc.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering if the cause of the give and creaking of the top of the phone is due to using headphones and/or an aux cable. I wonder if the jack is too tight when removed and it causes that part of the phone to come undone a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon