Okay, so is the Clicking/Creaking Plastic normal or not?

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Replaced my black 920 yesterday for this issue. New one is rock solid and feels so much more premium. Definitely get it exchanged.

On a side note, do you have heat issues?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The top of my phone creaks a little bit if I push it in.

Of course, it's not much of a problem since I'm not usually pushing in the top of my phone.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
This is an issue and there are minor versions of this and major ones. The entire top section of my phone would easily push in and click, not creak but click. Not just one small spot. Also the top section of my glass would move in and out as well. I pick up my phone a lot by holding the bottom with my thumb and the top with my middle and ring finger, this is how I noticed the defect.

New phone does not do this and my wife's does not do this. It was a defect.

Louis Lau

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
The top and bottom pieces are thin layer of plastic. The phone will make little clicking noise. Tops and bottom are the weakest point of the phone. Fixed the bottom by tighten the screws but the top is still make a clink when pressured. Its normal. Plus the tops if you open the sim card tray you will see how thin the top piece is. But if your screen is moving or popping out you should get it checked out thats not normal.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The top of my phone creaks a little bit if I push it in.

Of course, it's not much of a problem since I'm not usually pushing in the top of my phone.

Exact same thing with my phone. It's not a big deal, and even when I do press down on it to create the sound, I just find it amusing. Given how many people complain about this issue or that on the 920, I'll take this as my "issue" and keep the phone any day of the week.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Pressing the plastic for no need is one thing, but inserting the USB cable and headphone cable are necessities. If those sockets move with the plastic, don't know if they do or don't with the above problems, connections may be damaged through repeated fatigue.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine creaks on the bottom near the usb port, its mainly on 1 side tho. Anyone know the torx bit size and where to get it? I think if i tighten the screws a bit it will help.

Shawn

aggie

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
first one I had creaked when a little pressure was put on the curved area of the back side. I had to take it and exchange it due to the home "button" being non responsive. The new one that I received is solid as a rock. Also noticed, my first one had the At&t globe with AT&T to the right of it in the upper left corner. This new one just has the AT&T globe. Not sure if anything other than that has changed between the earlier batches and this one.

Justinian84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
So I've had two yellow devices with the same issue. It's obvious that it's a common issue from this and other threads, so I'm wondering if more recent shipments still have this problem?

These threads have really died down but I refuse to believe this is an isolated issue.

lkhoe

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I sent mine to Nokia Care and it was fixed on that day itself. Creaking was in between power and shutter buttons, as well as all over the back cover.

Now its all firmed up. Didn't ask what the solution was coz was rushing.

Justinian84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I sent mine to Nokia Care and it was fixed on that day itself. Creaking was in between power and shutter buttons, as well as all over the back cover.

Now its all firmed up. Didn't ask what the solution was coz was rushing.

It might be worth asking what the issue is. I'm on my third yellow replacement and each one has exactly the same issue - creaking on the back and on the left side.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My replacement lumia creaked at the sim tray slot. It now creaks at the bottom on the left side and occasionally on the right side above the volume rocker too.

Anyone notice that it is worse when the phone is hot? I guess the polycarbonate expands a bit when it gets hot and causes it to creak more. Right now I can't get it to creak at the volume rocker but when it is hot it is very easy to do and loud. Still much better than my original one so I'm going to keep it and not risk getting one that is as bad as my first one.

alljeep

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My replacement lumia creaked at the sim tray slot. It now creaks at the bottom on the left side and occasionally on the right side above the volume rocker too.

Anyone notice that it is worse when the phone is hot? I guess the polycarbonate expands a bit when it gets hot and causes it to creak more. Right now I can't get it to creak at the volume rocker but when it is hot it is very easy to do and loud. Still much better than my original one so I'm going to keep it and not risk getting one that is as bad as my first one.

Same issue with my new cyan 920 I've had for 3 weeks. Worse when warm. Wanted to exchange until I went into an AT&T store and both their demo phones had the same problem. I suspect all of these will creak over time. No cyan phones in stock to exchange with anyway. I love my phone and its color, but the creaking plastic is getting old, fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel