Poor battery life, only 14 hours fully charged

tranite

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I am having some problems with my battery on my Lumia 920.. I have read on this forum on everything I can find, and have asked Nokia and read on their Troubleshooting guide.

I have turned off all background tasks except myBattery, the internet sharing, Bluetooth, tap+send, location, kid's corner, and all of that is set to off. I have the display+touch sensitivity set to normal (but I can use gloves and keys with both Normal and High sensitivity...). I have completely removed the Google account from the phone, as I have read in this forum could use a lot of battery, so I'm only using the Microsoft account, Twitter, Facebook, Nokia account and I have also added Outlook.com separate from the Microsoft account (just because of the icon on the live tile).

The screen is always off, and I don't use any lock screen apps, I only have a single photo on my lock screen.

I have also turned Connect with Xbox off in the Xbox Live.

My phone always charges over night, and it's now fully charged with 100%, and estimated time remaining says 13 hours, and time since last charge is less than 1 hour. I think this is very very low! What is wrong, I have done everything possible for getting the battery increased. Some solutions for me?

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're actually experiencing a problem, or if you're basing this post on your "time remaining" reading after a charge.

If you're really only getting 14 hours on standby, you have a problem. If the "time remaining" thing says you have 14 hours left, that's not something to be concerned about. It's meaningless.

tranite

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're actually experiencing a problem, or if you're basing this post on your "time remaining" reading after a charge.

If you're really only getting 14 hours on standby, you have a problem. If the "time remaining" thing says you have 14 hours left, that's not something to be concerned about. It's meaningless.

No, the time remaining is correct, the myBattery app show it as well, and on the graph the battery level is sinking drastically. It's totally OK when I actually uses it, I use it a lot to surf on the web, play games, watch videos and so, and then I'm satisfied with the battery. But now in the holidays, I have not used it for anything, it's just been there on the table or in my pocked, and I still have to charge it in the evening because the battery only lasts a little over 12 hours.

Also, I do NOT have the Portico update installed, not available in Norway..

So yes, I'm only getting about 14 hours on standby. That's the frustrating part! Would it help by doing a hard reset or?

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd be happy to offer some suggestions, but I'd ask you to do this first: before bed, FULLY (100% + a half hour) charge your phone. Remove it from the charger, and let the phone sit there untouched for 8 hours. Report back on what % of charge you have left after 8 hours.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Confused. Is the 14 hours based on time remaining you see or actual performance??

Of course the battery shows the same as when u go to setting. It pulls the data from there.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Confused. Is the 14 hours based on time remaining you see or actual performance??

Of course the battery shows the same as when u go to setting. It pulls the data from there.

I was similarly confused. OP says that s/he is only getting 12-14 hours on standby in actual use.

tranite

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happy to offer some suggestions, but I'd ask you to do this first: before bed, FULLY (100% + a half hour) charge your phone. Remove it from the charger, and let the phone sit there untouched for 8 hours. Report back on what % of charge you have left after 8 hours.

Thanks Kooosh, I will try this tonight.

The actual performance of the battery is pretty equal to what the phone says is estimated time remaining.. But the performance have improved some more over the night, I did a soft reset and have slightly used it today, battery is 80% now, after 8 hours usage.

I am satisfied for now with this battery performance. I also turned of data usage and WiFi for standby, and that was some of the improvements I think. Thanks! :)

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, the time remaining is correct, the myBattery app show it as well, and on the graph the battery level is sinking drastically. It's totally OK when I actually uses it, I use it a lot to surf on the web, play games, watch videos and so, and then I'm satisfied with the battery. But now in the holidays, I have not used it for anything, it's just been there on the table or in my pocked, and I still have to charge it in the evening because the battery only lasts a little over 12 hours.

Also, I do NOT have the Portico update installed, not available in Norway..

So yes, I'm only getting about 14 hours on standby. That's the frustrating part! Would it help by doing a hard reset or?
Just for you reference, went a day trip with my sexy green N8, my ATT cyan 920 stay home and got around two days on standby.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I installed portico a week ago or so just when I got the 920 replacement, and battery went from 100 to 72 in 9 hrs overnight in standby with weather channel and a battery app I forgot what its called. That's terrible. So last night I flashed to old software and left it overnight again with same apps in background. in almost 9 hours battery was at 90. Is that good for it to go down 10-11 percent in 9 hrs? Just wanna make sure I don't have to send this back, and also really confused why some ppl have great battery life with the new update and some have terrible,my last phone had great life with portico.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Is that good for it to go down 10-11 percent in 9 hrs? Just wanna make sure I don't have to send this back, and also really confused why some ppl have great battery life with the new update and some have terrible,my last phone had great life with portico.

I generally lose a % per hour while the phone is completely idle overnight. I don't think that's unusual. If you restart your phone in the morn, you might find that it's misreporting. I can gain up to 10% of reported charge just by restarting the phone. I'm convinced there is some battery reporting bug in the OS.

Last edited:

tranite

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I generally lose a % per hour while the phone is completely idle overnight. I don't think that's unusual. If you restart your phone in the morn, you might find that it's misreporting. I can gain up to 10% of reported charge just by restarting the phone. I'm convinced there is some battery reporting bug in the OS.

I tested tonight without charging to 100% battery, but yesterday I had 45% battery left, tomorrow 8-9 hours later it was 43%, 2% loss in all those hours! I think that is great. But I don't have the Portico update installed then.

I am now satisfied with the battery. Is it good for the phone to be turned off/on regularely, or is it not necessary? I believe the battery did increase a little after I turned my phone off and back on again, don't ask me why..

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
If rebooting fixed the issue, then I'd wager that it was some rogue app that didn't close in the background and kept eating at your CPU and, subsequently, your battery.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You have NFC, bluetooth, and location on, and you're complaining? I know the whole "I wanna actually use the phone and get good battery life" argument, but I doubt you use NFC and bluetooth all the time. Turn it off if you don't use it. I had the same experience with battery life, until turned those off and performed a hard reset. Battery lasted 21 hours yesterday.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Question, I installed portico and then I flashed back due to battery issues. So now I go back to settings and search for software updates and portico doesn't appear, it says its up to date, I reinstalled portico basically then? Or will it not search? What's the firmware number for portico att?

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think there's a way to do a reset with AT&T and not get the Portico update. You can also look forward to a bunch of Nokia's settings updates to be pushed to you shortly.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't go by what Battery thing says... I had something like 83% battery and 2 hours battery life remaining according to that (I have screenshots from my WP7 if you want proof). That was with 1 background task, no location, no wifi, no Bluetooth, nada. Brightness set to automatic (but was setting to the medium level setting). If I only got 6 hours out of both batteries I would have hit the roof... would happen on the day I forgot my spare battery too... >_<

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte