Battery Drain Problem is Nokia Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Rodrigo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I had my gps turned off and was still losing battery. I think the problem is that it is always running, whether you exit the program or not. To see...Start playing an offline music list. Then back out till you get to the start screen and make sure that nokia music is "closed" and that no music is playing. Then click the volume up or down, and you will still see that the music is ready to go again and you just need to unpause it. No way to actually close the program. This has to be updated to fix some of the battery issues.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So, to add to the discussion, I tested this with Slacker last night. Played a few songs over my bluetooth speaker, then stopped Slacker and left it in the background. My battery was draining alarmingly fast, like nearly 10%/hour. I finally closed out of Slacker completely. The battery kept draining. Turned off bluetooth and it still drained at the same rate. I did NOT reboot the phone (because I knew that would resolve it). I put the phone on the charger. This morning, I got up, checked that it was at 100%, then took it off the charger and left it on the table when I went to work (I took another phone). When I got home today, it was at 55%. This is just with a wifi connection and nothing running after a full charge.

This tells me that it's not JUST Nokia Music, but perhaps any music app that may utilize the music hub framework. I suspect it's the music hub framework itself that's the issue. I have not test Xbox music yet. That's next. I strongly suspect that if I reboot my phone and use no music apps, my battery life will be great again. This is sad, though, because I shouldn't have to A) reboot my phone once/day or B) Stop using it for music.

Pretty disappointed overall and I'm wondering if other Windows phones have this issue, or if it's just the 920.

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled Nokia Music and already had Drive uninstalled and restarted my phone this morning. I'm still experience draining issues. That's not my problem. I still think it's a radio issue at least for me.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I may have screwed up a bit last night as I did the full charge after letting it run flat but didn't leave it for +2 hours. Oh well, this is what I found this morning.

I only have 7 hours of data but it's interesting. The phone stayed at 100% for 5 hours but then started to drop quickly after, 6% in two hours. No real idea why - 2 emails accounts on, 1 that downloads when received and the other checks every half an hour. Had 5 emails this morning, a few from both accounts. I also noticed that the GPS icon was on. I don't know how long it was on for but it turned off shortly after I unlocked the phone. I've uninstalled the met office app as that's the only thing I can think that would be using location services. Nokia Music and Drive are installed but have not been used since turning the phone back on remember.

Something else to consider - maybe the battery monitor and in turn the MyBattery app are just bad at monitoring the battery life? a 6 or 7% drop in battery life over 7 hours is good when you consider it's checking one email server at least every half an hour, downloading from another when a message is received and has a few background tasks running including BBC News (although I may block that anyway seen as I use the small tile and it doesn't update), Facebook and the Met Office. So is the problem more the monitor isn't reporting the drop correctly? I have no problem with a drop in % an hour on standby as that will give me 100 hours of use. It's when it seems to drop suddenly 3% an hour for no reason that is the worry.

Thoughts?

Andy Barker

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine l920 has dropped 14% while i was sleeping 6hrs. Nothing running no new emails or toast notifications. And the phone was rebooted yesterday and music hasn't been used.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm just going to leave it and not worry. It works out about the same sort of charge time as my iPhone 4 thinking about it. As mentioned though I used to get a full weekend with the iPhone and this weekend will be the first real time I get to see how it behaves. I think if I get the same amount of time as my iPhone I'll be happy, it's just when I'll be using it a lot such as on holiday or when I'm covering conventions for my website (so lots of photos, tweets etc) I'll have to worry.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So, I finally caved in and restarted the phone. I did not run any of the music programs. Left if off the charger and after 5 hours and 15 minutes, it is still at 100%.

In summary:

1. Using ANY music player (Nokia Music, Xbox, Slacker) starts a battery drain that cannot be stopped with anything short of a restart.
  2. The "Stop the Music" app does not stop the battery drain.
  3. If I do not use any music apps, my battery life is amazing all day and will stay that way for days until I use a music app again.

Some process is starting in the background and running away with battery life when a music app is used. I would love to know what it is and I would love even more to know if this happens on the HTC 8x or other Lumias, though the 920 is the only Windows Phone I really want.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing my battery is working just fine and the 3% decrease is the mail app and background tasks running. I've changed one of the mailboxes to now sync every hour instead of 30 minutes and again that seems to have improved. But I had a good 20 minutes of watching stuff on netflix, done a bit of Facebook browsing but not much and of course the mailbox is still running as well as my background tasks, and it's still on 57% after the charge at 11pm last night.

A lot of peoples problems are likely just normal usage?

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing my battery is working just fine and the 3% decrease is the mail app and background tasks running. I've changed one of the mailboxes to now sync every hour instead of 30 minutes and again that seems to have improved. But I had a good 20 minutes of watching stuff on netflix, done a bit of Facebook browsing but not much and of course the mailbox is still running as well as my background tasks, and it's still on 57% after the charge at 11pm last night.

Have you even read the thread? This isn't a "battery issues" thread. This is a "nokia music may be the cause of my battery issues" thread. So, if you're not using a music app and then experiencing battery drain, you're off topic.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you read the thread? You'll see people left right and centre saying different things. There isn't one specific app that seems to cause battery drain - it's different for everyone.

JONA1970

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I did this test. Uninstalled Nokia Music went to bed whit 100% battery and after 7 hours my battery was at 97%. Whit Nokia Music installed usually I had in morning around 87-85%. This was the only change that in did on my device. So there is some process in Nokia Music that are drained the battery. Someone already report this to Nokia?

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Have you read the thread? You'll see people left right and centre saying different things. There isn't one specific app that seems to cause battery drain - it's different for everyone.

Thanks for playing, but if you read the original post, along with MOST of the replies, you'll notice a common theme. Just because you're not the only one who came out of left field with an off-topic post doesn't mean you're right.

There ARE a lot of factors that contribute to bad battery life, but this thread is specifically discussing the possibility of the music apps as the cause.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
No problems here. I'm on hour number 22 of my last charge and i'm sitting at 48% remaining and I stream/play a ton of music from Nokia Music.

In reality it's more than likely not a specific app as others have had similar results by removing different apps. It's just the OS and Software hanging up and causing processes to run when not needed or not shutting down correctly so it causes extra drain.

My first phone before the replacement was Nokia drive. If I had it installed mine would drain like crazy. My replacement though so far has not done that and battery life has been stellar.

I see you didn't jump this guys throat for going "off topic".

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so back on topic. I noticed that a lot of people were saying they got such great battery on their phones, but I didn't seem to be pulling it off as much. I read this thread, but I don't listen to Nokia Music; however, I do use "CloudMuzik" (a Google Music streamer) that seems to hook into the Music+Videos to save your spot in the music. Even after closing it out, I was looking at about 9% an hour drain (found using battery widget). I rebooted my phone before the last charge and have been off the charger for 6 hours and still have >90% battery left.

In short, I think it's how the music apps link into the Music+Videos stuff, not just Nokia Music. What do you guys think?

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

So then what was the point of this post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb