voice to text over bluetooth fails while playing music/podcast

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Loving the 920, but having little issues here and there.

It's paired to my car's Bluetooth integration. A few times I've received text messages while driving, and it seems that the text to voice dictation only works correctly when I don't have music playing (or a podcast for that matter).

It almost works. What happens is the podcast or song pauses, then the phone and car goes into handsfree call mode. I see the phone number displayed on my in-dash screen, but it just stops there. In the past I've waited to see if it was just hanging, but this morning, I just cancelled it out by pressing the end call button on the steering wheel. After I press the button, the phone resumes playing the podcast or song.

I'm thinking about doing some testing, but was wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine does this as well. While its in streaming mode the mic is not on in your vehicle. The music stops and reads the prompt but then can't understand what you want to do as it thinks it's still in streaming mode.

Without the music playing or initiating the voice controls works fine for me. It's only when music is playing it doesn't switch over.

2012 Kia soul.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and I meant to mention that it worked flawlessly on my WP7 Dell Venue Pro. That's why it's so annoying, honestly.

Sinabu, thanks for corroborating. I've got a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. I think Kia and Hyundai are owned by the same conglomerate. Dunno if they use similar parts like Acura/Honda, for instance.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No problem at all.

Hyundai owns like 49% of Kia or something like that. I have the premium stereo in mine (touchscreen,nav etc) And that's one thing that I just have not been able to get to work is Voice Controls while Music Streaming. Otherwise it works fine. I just ended up turning off the BT Voice Prompts for Text Messages and I wait till I'm at a light or stopped to check the text. Calls still come in fine.

I had the same problem with my iPhone in this car.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The sad thing is that's one of the fun things my friends would do when we were all in the car together. They'd send me text messages to listen to how the voice pronounced stuff. Now I have to pause music for it to happen.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
decided to email nokia help. Here's the response after back and forth.

We understand your disappointment and sentiments as text to speech is unable to work when you are playing podcasts and music. As mentioned in the previous email, car kits are compatibility sensitive devices. Meaning, in order for them to work properly for your device, then the manufacturer of the car kit must officially support the phone and had the car kit intended to work with the specific device. Moroever, we are unable to guarantee the connection and all functionalities of your phone to be worked properly since your car kit is a non-Nokia device for Nokia handsets (most of the time) is compatible to a Nokia branded car kits also.

So they're basically saying it's unsupported because I didn't buy a Nokia car. Apparently, Bluetooth isn't a standard. Even when I insisted that it works when not​ playing music, they still won't accept it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99