Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By halimaw96
  • 1 Post By Curtieson

So I decided to do a reset on my phone, set it all up, and not update any of the apps it recommended and guess what, phone ran cool, didnt warm up as it is now after I have update the 11 apps the store recommended.

I could go a full work day and get home to my phone at 90%, but now I just walked in my office and my phone is at 88%. I'm guessing something nokia pushed out is killing my (or our) batteries.

I'm attaching a SN of my battery life without any of the app updates taken yesterday morning.

1190_570974076250699_1120260446_n.jpg

Not been afflicted but do you not find it odd that you have 1 day remaining with only 15% charge?

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I blame the Portico update. My battery life has been dismal ever since I updated, and I have the right settings for optimal battery life. Right now I'm lucky if I can squeeze twelve hours out of my phone.
    stressds and CapnPauly like this.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I totally disabled the "Search for updates" and "Automatically download updates when available" on my Lumia 920.

I am very happy with the way my phone has been treating me and am not going to bother downloading the Update (Portico thing). I know it will do some enhancements in camera quality and stuff but i dunt give a damn. i like the way it is and i am not going to risk it.

Not been afflicted but do you not find it odd that you have 1 day remaining with only 15% charge?
    I know that number is not accurate, its like when you're using your laptop...when its idle it say 5 hours, but when you start using it, it drops to 1 hour. and I can tell you it did not come close to even 8 hours. hahaha it died maybe an hour later

but time since last charge is very accurate and that makes me very happy lol

Quote Originally Posted by halimaw96 View Post
    I blame the Portico update. My battery life has been dismal ever since I updated, and I have the right settings for optimal battery life. Right now I'm lucky if I can squeeze twelve hours out of my phone.
    While my battery life may not be that bad, I too have noticed that my battery life has dipped quite a bit since the update.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPauly View Post
    While my battery life may not be that bad, I too have noticed that my battery life has dipped quite a bit since the update.
    I don't blame the update, since I installed the Portico update, did a reset, and did not update any of the apps in market and got really good battery life. Once I updated the apps the market requested to update (nokia drive, music, maps, weather, etc etc) thats when my batt life dipped.

Check your apps guys....I found out that some apps drain your battery. I uninstalled everything and only downloaded what I really need. So I have all of Nokias Apps, Facebook, Cocktail flow, Skydrive, Onenote TuneIn Radio, PhotoFunia and WhatsApp and one game, Battery lasts me for more then a day...very Happy and I live in the UK, so I'm still waiting for the "Portico update".
    Quote Originally Posted by welsbloke View Post
    Not odd, because battery saver is on, and with what it shuts off during that mode the phone would last that long with no usage.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    the bigger issue here is that our phones or the apps we're using to read the battery is inaccurate.

how can you have 1 day 15 hrs left with 15% battery remaining?? even if you let your phone just idle, it wont last 1 day 15 hrs @ 15%.
    Lumia 920

My battery life dipped a little bit after the update, but after a soft reset, it seems to be doing better than ever lately. Make sure you disable backround tasks from the settings for apps you do not need running in the background. I easily make it through along day (from 8am to midnight or later), still with charge left. I even turned back on the setting so the wifi stays on when the screen times out, and I am still getting good battery life, about the same or better than my old Samsung Focus.

Global Posts
    1,330 Global Posts
    I have put through the update, and currently using Battery Status (MUCH more accurate than a number rounded to days)...I am getting 19 hr, 53 Minutes on a full charge. That is up about 2 hours since the update.

I do not think it is the update that is GIVING me better battery life, it is me learning more and more about the phone...but I do think some of the Apps being updated is cause for some of that time.

Clearly though, the update is not the cause of battery issues.

My phone does run hot though. Whenever I am on it for more than 20 minutes it feels like I could make a grille cheese with it.

Global Posts
    1,330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JConn_Lefty View Post
    how can you have 1 day 15 hrs left with 15% battery remaining?? even if you let your phone just idle, it wont last 1 day 15 hrs @ 15%.
    In battery saver mode, your phone could last 13 days on a full charge...15% of that is nearly 2 days. So I think 1 day, 15 hrs is an UNDERSTATEMENT of idle...it is expecting some usage.

I found that there are several different culprits to poor battery life.

Background task apps. CNN doesn't work correctly if you turn off background tasks. I found that it also drained my battery.

Crappy coded applications that make the phone heat up, words with friends is a terrible one. It drains the **** out of my battery.

Applications that maintain processes even after they are closed, nokia drive+ beta does that sometimes.

Being in an area of poor reception. the phone heats up trying to search for a signal

I can typically last 35-48 hours+ if I only do texting email, internet surfing. Any of the above can bring it to its knees to 14-18