NFC & Charging Plate

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help.

I have a Lumia 920 red and just received my charging plate today as part of phones4u UK offer. Now having previously owned both a Palm Pre + and Pre3 I have previous experience with the wireless charging concept and thought it would be as simple as placing the device on the plate as per the instructions. Having put everything together, I placed the device on the charging plate and nothing happened. it was pointed out to me by another 920 user that I needed to activate NFC(which I had turned off to save battery). I did this, but it still failed to recognise the plate. I then tried my colleagues 920(black) and all work seamlessly as soon as the device made contact with the plate. I then proceeded to restart my device incase this was a required action but that didn't resolve the issue. So to isolate that it wasn't an issue with the plate, I tried to share data(a photo) using tap2share and it worked though it requested that the Bluetooth be switched on to complete the process(I thought NFC was another form of wireless signal that could transfer data). Also, if I place the device on the plate in a powered down state, it will turn on as if to state it is receiving a charge but once the device is up and running, it doesn't show it to be in a charging state.

Does anyone have any ideas. Is there another method I can use to test the NFC in the device? I can test the plate by using my old Palm devices and I can test the phone using my old TS dock. If this fails then I will need to return the device, which I don't want to do as it took ages to grab the red once.

Thanks

Device: Lumia 920 Red
Carrier: EE UK (4G/LTE)

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
It doesnt need NFC for wireless charging, mine is always off and it charges fine on the plate, the stand has NFC so it can launch an app when you place it on it. Sounds like an issue with your wireless charging on your device,, the NFC shouldnt have anything to do with it, Id return it for a replacement.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It doesnt need NFC for wireless charging, mine is always off and it charges fine on the plate, the stand has NFC so it can launch an app when you place it on it. Sounds like an issue with your wireless charging on your device,, the NFC shouldnt have anything to do with it, Id return it for a replacement.

Thanks. Looks like its back to the supplier I go :-(

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks like u just have a faulty wireless plate hopefully. Just make sure ur phone doesn't have the fault.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It was a phone issue and not the plate. I have had it replaced and am now rocking a new red 920. Very happy. Did have some issues with certain Nokia apps. Kept getting a 8000ffff store error. That's been resolved now, so all good.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It was a phone issue and not the plate. I have had it replaced and am now rocking a new red 920. Very happy. Did have some issues with certain Nokia apps. Kept getting a 8000ffff store error. That's been resolved now, so all good.

Good to hear. Pretty obvious it was a phone issue, as the plate worked with a second phone. In trouble shooting, that is just want you want to do. Sub out pieces until you can limit down to what IS working. Just need to trust you own results!

Also, little background on NFC. It doesn't REPLACE Bluetooth (or WiFi). It replaced the "Bluetooth Pairing" function. All it is, is a way to prove you want to create a connection based on proximity. With regular Bluetooth connecting, you have to type in the pair code because anything within 30 feet of your device could pair with it. When you bring NFC into the equation, you are saying "I am 3mm away, this is an acceptable pairing" and then you are then Bluetooth connected and can move freely about the cabin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium