Virgin APN settings for MMS

slushygrim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I bought a 920 locked to EE in the UK and have a virgin sim in it. I've managed to set up the data and it is fully functional except for mms which won't send :cry:

I've followed this guide LUMIA 920: HOW TO ACTIVATE MMS MESSAGING ON VIRGIN... - Nokia Support Discussions which in short is adding the Access Point to the settings then putting in the APN settings. I can't work out why it isn't working :(

These are my settings in the Access Point (the apn setting area is blank as the guide suggests)
IP Address: 193.30.166.2
Username: (none)
Password:
(none)
Homepage:
http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
Server Address:
goto.virginmobile.uk

Has anyone got a 920 working on virgin? Thanks for reading! :grin:

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi there, I did have this working when I first bought my 920 home, I followed the exact same guide.
However there was something wrong with the "Find My Phone" settings (showed as Off even though the slider was enabled), hence did a hard reset (via the "about" settings page).
Since then, I followed the same steps but with no luck. I'm tempted to upgrade to the latest EE firmware and see if that changes anything?

slushygrim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It does seem temperamental, the phone is meant to obtain the settings from the sim but I guess it's being hidden because it's not unlocked. I was considering a hard reset but the reports of it causing more trouble make me worried about my poor new phone!

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I updated to Portico yesterday. There's still no luck with MMS.
It only worked the very first time I followed the instructions in the above link - since hard resetting it and upgrading the OS build, it hasn't successfully used the settings in the "access point" configuration page.

flame l

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Try the nokia acces point app-http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/access-point/ce3895c7-01d0-4daf-a4c3-25c10463942d

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I updated to Portico yesterday. There's still no luck with MMS.
It only worked the very first time I followed the instructions in the above link - since hard resetting it and upgrading the OS build, it hasn't successfully used the settings in the "access point" configuration page.

Please note. If using Access Point, anytime you update the phone (and perhaps even a hard reset), you will need to DEactivate and REactivate your correct access point.
I don't know why you need to, but you do.

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I've cracked it!
Can one of you try out the following settings:

Mobile network > add mms apn

APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
WAP gateway (URL): 193.30.166.2
WAP gateway port: 8080
MMSC (URL): http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk/
MMSC port: 8002
Maximum MMS size: 300

Let me know how you get on...

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I successfully sent an MMS to a friend on Orange (an Android user) but I could not send a receive a message sent to myself - every evening at the same time I get the "Get media content now..." message.

guthers1958

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Tried those settings and they do not work. I have had a virgin tech guy on the phone for the last 2 hours, have input the settings over a dozen times and finally done a hard reset and guess what? Still does not work. Can someone please crack this soon as it is letting down an otherwise good phone.
Guthers1958:angry:

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It's not working at all now and I haven't changed the settings since my previous post :(
Now it shows "Can't send message Try again", regardless of whether I apply or reactivate the "access point" setting.
I'm encouraging friends to use WhatsApp where feasible.

stu harris

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
got my virgin mms settings working for htc 8s buy deleting the mms apn completely from the phone then go into connection setup and switch the carrier to ee as virgin uses t mobile and orange it then sets up the 3g and mms to use ee it worked for me

Rob Shepherd

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I've spoken to HTC personaly after the same issue with MMS settings. They wont give them to me but they have said that Virgin are aware that on windows phones there is a certain way to enter the :8002 as the phone wont accept that part of the setting.

Of course Virgin deny all knowledge of this problem.

jr829

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I know this thread is a bit old now, But incase anyone is running into the issues still.

I had a similar problem with my Lumia 800 with Virgin, could use everything else except receive MMS from anyone. Changed APN, used network set-up, diagnostics tools etc... and still nothing. Kept getting the get media content here (website) blah blah with the code. Instead of receiving the MMS normally on my phone.

The way I solved it was to send an MMS (text with pic attached) to myself. i.e. from MY phone to MY phone.
This apparently enables MMS functionality with a new SIM. Sometimes the new SIM which hasn't sent an MMS before isn't configured to receive them or some BS.
Sending it to yourself apparently works, it might require a phone restart aswell.

Hopefully this helps anyone in the same situation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett