Calls always breaking up on lumia 920

YeahMon360

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem on speakerphone. It depends on the position I hold the phone. If it is laying down, callers cannot hear me. If I pick it up and hold it vertically, they can.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
People barely being able to hear you is due to the distance of the MIC (bottom of phone) to your mouth. The issue myself and others (also my wife with her 8X) is that the audio is extremely broken and makes it to understand what is said. I've had it happen using and not using bluetooth and talking with iphones. Maybe its an LTE or WP8 issue. I use a thin rubber case, but this happened before I started using it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

This is not the issue I and I believe others were having, for one I don't use LTE and secondly, your comment about how far the mic is from your mouth made me laugh out loud, cracking advice... I swapped my phone and so far the problem has now gone, I can talk normally into the phone as I would any other phone and the recipient hears me perfectly, regardless of whether it is next to mouth or 1 inch away. It is a fault with the phone.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
This is not the issue I and I believe others were having, for one I don't use LTE and secondly, your comment about how far the mic is from your mouth made me laugh out loud, cracking advice... I swapped my phone and so far the problem has now gone, I can talk normally into the phone as I would any other phone and the recipient hears me perfectly, regardless of whether it is next to mouth or 1 inch away. It is a fault with the phone.
my 920 works up to 4 inches away, but doesn't seem to pick up audio well any further. If speakerphone is on, then the range is much further...maybe its a software issue. I may have misunderstood what the original issue was, but mine is broken audio, when both transmitting and receiving. I wasn't trying to be funny with my post.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, I did some testing calling an echo number. I removed my TPU protective case and spoke with the phone naked and then holding my finger over the top mike (very small holes on the top to the right of the headphone jack..you have to look very carefully). I found covering the noise cancellation mike made a big difference. It would cause my voice to drop out or drop in volume as I talked. It was much better when I did not cover it. At least on my phone, I am conviced the cover I have that does not have an cuttout on the top for the mike is contributing to callers telling me my voice is cutting out. I will be dilling a whole in the top of my TPU protective cover so it does not block the mike and see if it makes a difference. I think the holes for the mike are so small that the case manufacturers did not know they were there, which is why most cases do not have a whole for the mike. I see that Nokia's upcoming case has the hole. I know some of you are running you hone naked, so this will not help. Maybe some phones have issues with the noise cancellation mike and others may be having issues because of protective cases that cover the mike? Just some thoughts. Since my bluetooth works great and a recording app records my voice fine, I figure I do not have issues with cell signal trasmition and the mikes work fine. That leaves noise cancellation, and I am hoping modding my protective case will solve my issues. For those of you with cases that cover the top mike, try removing the case next time somebody complains about your voice and see if it makes a difference.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to this, previous posts show the problems I was having before an exchange, I use my phone naked and also with a case but there a hole for the noise cancellation tiny holes, so I do not believe this is the issue I was having, new phone is fine. That's not to say there also other sound related issues that this may be relevant to.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I see that the phone drop LTE when you make a phone call and goes to the "4G" hspa+ network. So its definitely not an LTE issue. I made 3 call to my landline and two of them got dropped in less than 2 minutes and i noticed the bars dropped to zero as well, then I called AT&T and told them, the lady did some "network things." I havent tested any further.

Letthiswork1

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am having these issues and it is driving me mad.

If i have my phone on my shoulter (not holding with thanks) people can never hear me.. which is a nightmare cause i may be typing something they are saying and cant talk back.. same thing with people not hearing me.. i can always hear people fine...

This is my 2nd 920 since i left my 1st one in a taxi :'(

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tried to reset your phone ? I tried to reboot several times, but that didn't help. The last chance is to reset it, but that takes time. Especially to set up the phone again as it was before.

lumia011

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
....after I installed Portico update 10 days ago people were telling me that they can hear me better than before the update. Then, I hard-reset it (to change my microsoft id) and they continued to hear me better, but in the last couple of days it is the same nightmare again - everyone keeps telling me that they can't understand my "rumbling". The only difference might be that I installed more apps although i don't believe that be the problem. .....:angry:
it might be relevant, it might not - i have a red one

Last edited:

lumia011

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
....just did a little testing - when on speakerphone it works great regardless how far the phone is from me - 2 inches or 2 feet or 2 meters. However, in a regular phone mode if i move the phone 5 inches from mouth the other side can not hear anything. One thing that is different between speakerphone and regular-phone is role of distance sensor in the upper front right corner - when in speakerphone mode sensor is irrelevant, but if you move the phone few inches from the face, the sensor makes the screen turn on.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue too. If I am not speaking directly into the mic, the caller cannot hear me. I think its overly aggressive noise cancelling.

lumia011

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
...the question is - is this a hardware or OS problem, and should i replace the phone, or wait for a soft update fix?!? Portico said in its official note that it fixed "audio issues".
It looks to me that if the mic works in speakerphone mode and so-so in the regular mode, this is an OS issue, but if this is an OS issue, why not everyone is having/reporting this problem (or maybe not everyone is aware of it since they are keeping the phone close to mouth most of the time and thus not experiencing the problem all the time, and thus not realizing that something is really wrong with the phone and not with a connection or else...)

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
HI all, if you see my previous posts on this thread you will see I had these problems with people never being able to hear me, was a real pain. In the end I exchanged my phone. I have had the new phone for over a week now and not a single issue with calls. I can hold the phone normally without thought and everyone hears me crystal clear. I would suggest to anyone having this issue to exchange your phone, it's faulty!

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
HI all, if you see my previous posts on this thread you will see I had these problems with people never being able to hear me, was a real pain. In the end I exchanged my phone. I have had the new phone for over a week now and not a single issue with calls. I can hold the phone normally without thought and everyone hears me crystal clear. I would suggest to anyone having this issue to exchange your phone, it's faulty!
Yeah, but I don't think they will exchange my phone after 1 month.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
....just did a little testing - when on speakerphone it works great regardless how far the phone is from me - 2 inches or 2 feet or 2 meters. However, in a regular phone mode if i move the phone 5 inches from mouth the other side can not hear anything. One thing that is different between speakerphone and regular-phone is role of distance sensor in the upper front right corner - when in speakerphone mode sensor is irrelevant, but if you move the phone few inches from the face, the sensor makes the screen turn on.
I had the exact same problem, than I reset the phone like Nokia Care told me to do and now the phone is bricked :D

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue and it may drive me from the 920 all together. I got my 920 on ebay because i only wanted yellow. I cannot exchange, i could sell and buy another, but afaik all of the yellow 920s are from around the same date, which means most/all of them have the issue. No yellow = no 920 for me. Ill give it another week or so and see if i can get used to it, but i typically only put the earpiece on my head, and angle the phone a little away from me while talking(helps keep the phone a bit cleaner). Im trying to get used to the issue, but IMO a phone shouldnt make me change the way i hold it to work.

I absolutely love my phone at this point, and am really digging wp8, but a phone has to work as a phone before a fun gadget, and its not getting that part done correctly at this time.

Shawn

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and it may drive me from the 920 all together. I got my 920 on ebay because i only wanted yellow. I cannot exchange, i could sell and buy another, but afaik all of the yellow 920s are from around the same date, which means most/all of them have the issue. No yellow = no 920 for me. Ill give it another week or so and see if i can get used to it, but i typically only put the earpiece on my head, and angle the phone a little away from me while talking(helps keep the phone a bit cleaner). Im trying to get used to the issue, but IMO a phone shouldnt make me change the way i hold it to work.

I absolutely love my phone at this point, and am really digging wp8, but a phone has to work as a phone before a fun gadget, and its not getting that part done correctly at this time.

Shawn

Surely you are still covered by the Nokia warranty regardless of where you bought and if it is second hand. I would give them a call and see what they say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel