Calls always breaking up on lumia 920

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone experienced call quality issues on the 920 in a very well coverage area... i get full bars all the time on 3G and 3 bars on LTE. The phone breaks up all the time and I cant hear people when making calls.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Lately, I've been having people tell me that they can't hear me or that it sounds like I'm going in and out. Don't know where the problem is coming from though, and don't know how it happened.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Lately, I've been having people tell me that they can't hear me or that it sounds like I'm going in and out. Don't know where the problem is coming from though, and don't know how it happened.

I think quite a few of us are having the issue of people not hearing us on the other end of a call. I actually got an exchange organised yesterday due to this exact problem, only problem I have now is they do not have Red Lumias in stock so have to wait until they do. When ringing through they seemed instantly aware of the problem though, and there were no problems in organising am exchange despite having the phone for 6 weeks.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
ya, i wouldnt put it here if it wasnt a serious issue. All the Nokia's i ve had always had solid call quality. I wonder if its a defective unit or some new LTE calling feature is at the root of this.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been having this issue as well. I am typically only in a 3G/4G (not LTE) area. This is my second Lumia 920, my first did not seem to have this issue.

Although today I had a new problem. I took my phone off the charger at 7:30AM, put it in my pocket, at around 8:15AM my pocket was burning up, the phone was extremely hot, and the battery was at 69%. Nothing had been running on the phone, I didn't even use it for anything during that time. I restarted it and the phone seemed ok.

I just want to add that the issue with calls breaking up has only happened to me a few times randomly, so it's not a lot. Hopefully I won't run into anymore issues. I am definitely not giving up on Windows Phone cuz I still prefer it. If it came down to it I'd just choose a different model phone, maybe an 8x or something but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, I only get a problem with people not hearing me, even if the phone is right next to my mouth. I can always hear them fine. Also people can hear me fine if I am using Bluetooth. I was told there is a batch of phones with this specific problem.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, I only get a problem with people not hearing me, even if the phone is right next to my mouth. I can always hear them fine. Also people can hear me fine if I am using Bluetooth. I was told there is a batch of phones with this specific problem.
I wonder if it has to do with noise cancellation microphone. I had a similar issue on my n9 in noisy environments where people couldnt hear me. I ll turn that off and try again

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Agreed this what was happening to me, I switched to Bluetooth and it remedied the problem I dont know what the issue is on why Bluetooth would work better than actually using the handset.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just had a somewhat lengthy conversation on my 920 and I kept cutting in and out on the other person, he kept asking me to repeat myself. Very annoying. I can't keep sending my phone to Nokia either, I use this phone for work and it's very important that I have my phone.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am curious if any of you have your Lumia in a case. I have had some callers tell me my voice breaks up badly. I have a TPU soft case on it, and there is no cutout for the noice cancelling mike at the top (did not even realize it was there until I read abou it, as the holes are so small). I was going to drill a hole in my TPU case so it did not block that mike, wondering if that could be throwing off the noise cancellation causing voice issues on calls. I just have not gotten around to testing it before I drill the hole. I want to see if I can recreate the issue and then take the cover off to see if it makes a difference first. The fact that there does not appear to be issues with bluetooth or speakerphones, from what I have read, it makes sense it has to do with the microphones or the noise cancellation. I installed a voice recording app, and it records my voice very clearly, so that tells me the mike is OK. I do not know if the voice recording app uses noise cancellation or not.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I am curious if any of you have your Lumia in a case. I have had some callers tell me my voice breaks up badly. I have a TPU soft case on it, and there is no cutout for the noice cancelling mike at the top (did not even realize it was there until I read abou it, as the holes are so small). I was going to drill a hole in my TPU case so it did not block that mike, wondering if that could be throwing off the noise cancellation causing voice issues on calls. I just have not gotten around to testing it before I drill the hole. I want to see if I can recreate the issue and then take the cover off to see if it makes a difference first. The fact that there does not appear to be issues with bluetooth or speakerphones, from what I have read, it makes sense it has to do with the microphones or the noise cancellation. I installed a voice recording app, and it records my voice very clearly, so that tells me the mike is OK. I do not know if the voice recording app uses noise cancellation or not.

Well where is the locations of these mics? I don't have a case, I run my phone naked so that can't be the issue. How do I check for noise cancellation, because I be in pretty quiet environments and the people tell me I'm cutting in & out like the other guy said or that they can barely hear me and that's no bueno!

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My calls have been crystal clear with AT&T such far which is a surprise. Landline quality. Try some tests with the echo number and see if your voice breaks up. 909-390-0003. You won't here the other end ring, just start talking and you'll hear your voice being played back.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a tiny snap-on style case, it doesnt cover anything on the top or bottom of the phone. I didn't think there was any option on the 920 to turn off noise cancellation. I am also 100% positive I'm not covering up the mic.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I got my replacement phone today, only made 3 calls so far and each person I spoke to said they could hear me crystal clear. Will feedback further in a few days when I have made a few more calls, but fingers crossed looking good so far!

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but only got it a few days ago. Sometimes when I call someone they hear me vary bad, like I am 50m away or it's lagging. If I switch to speakers, they hear me normally. When recording videos there are no problems.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just posted in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/206583-call-quality-problems.html I did some of my own testing with the call quality issue and here is what I found:

(Pasted from my other post)

I found this thread after some people complaining they couldn't hear me very well. Like the previous poster biomenace said, when he moved the phone angle, the call quality would get worse, so this got me thinking and I decided to do some testing of my own, so I called my brother, who also owns a Lumia 920, I spoke a sentence to him holding the phone closer to my mouth and face, he heard it fine, I angled the end of the phone more outward away from my mouth, spoke the sentence and he said he could barely hear me.

I explained to him what I was doing and asked him to do the same, and he got the same results, with the end of the phone closer to his mouth/face I heard him fine, when he moved it away slightly I could barely make out what he was saying. I am surprised that such a small move in distance can cause such a dramatic change in sound quality.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe that's a solution, more confirmation of a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I swapped my phone today due to this problem, I have only made 3 calls with the new one and held the phone as I normally would, not pressed against my mouth, all 3 callers said they could hear me perfectly, I will feedback in a few more days once I have made more calls.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe that's a solution, more confirmation of a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I swapped my phone today due to this problem, I have only made 3 calls with the new one and held the phone as I normally would, not pressed against my mouth, all 3 callers said they could hear me perfectly, I will feedback in a few more days once I have made more calls.

I agree, it's not a solution, there is definitely a problem. It's more of a workaround lol. I think I will contact Nokia about this again, get another replacement if I have to.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have just done a test with my friend when he called me. First I hold th phone right to my face, than I tilted it for some cm away from my mouth. In the first try he told me he can hear me perfectly. In the second try he told me he can barely hear me. But if you record your sound in some recorder or on videos or when you call with speakers on, everything works ok. Anyone resolved this or tryed to do a factory reset and see if this resolves the issue ?

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
People barely being able to hear you is due to the distance of the MIC (bottom of phone) to your mouth. The issue myself and others (also my wife with her 8X) is that the audio is extremely broken and makes it to understand what is said. I've had it happen using and not using bluetooth and talking with iphones. Maybe its an LTE or WP8 issue. I use a thin rubber case, but this happened before I started using it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz