Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Hi!

I've had this problem for a day or so now. I connect my lumia 920 to my PC (Windows 7 ultimate x64) the phone makes a connection sound and it shows up under My Computer. However when I go to browse the files on the 920 it is just empty. Also when I try and use the WindowsPhone app it boots up on the welcome screen as if it's the first time I'm connecting it and does nothing when I press the continue button...

This hasn't always been the case as I was able to browse the files and use the WindowsPhone app for over a week without trouble previously.

What I have tried so far:

>Restarting my phone.
    >Reinstalling the WindowsPhone app.
    >Repairing and reinstalling .NET 4.5 and updating it.
    >Turning my firewall off
    >Connecting it to another USB port.
    >Connecting it to my other computer.
    >Hard resting my phone. (This left me stuck on the cog wheels for hours and I had to flash my phone to fix this)
    >And maybe more things that I can't remember at the moment.

Interestingly when I had to hard reset it and wipe everything off the phone it worked fine, the app let the phone sync my music etc, I thought it had been fixed. BUT the second time I went to sync my phone the same problem happened! WindowsPhone app thinks its the first time and wont let me press continue and the device is just empty under My Computer.

The phone works fine otherwise, all my music and stuff is on it from the first sync and I have 0 problems besides this! Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the huge post

I suppose I'll have to return it and get another one.
    You must install .Net 4.5 on Win7 for it to work properly.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

As I mentioned I have this installed and have tried both re-installing and repairing it also.
    Dou you've a password to unlock your phone or something ? If yes then you need to type it in on the phone to unlock first to see the files on your PC.

No password on my phone at all :/

Quote Originally Posted by Indefa View Post
    No password on my phone at all :/
    I wonder if this is your problem? Is it possible that windows won't let you transfer files to/from an unsecured phone?

Quote Originally Posted by rider2040 View Post
    I wonder if this is your problem? Is it possible that windows won't let you transfer files to/from an unsecured phone?
    Just tried it now, no dice.

I noticed you did not mention if you restarted your PC?

Quote Originally Posted by jayruguitar View Post
    I noticed you did not mention if you restarted your PC?
    I have done this already sorry. Should have mentioned it but my list was getting kinda long pretty quick :P
    This is exactly the same problem I'm having on Windows 8. My problem started when I tried "Find My Phone" and now it is stuck on that window and won't bring up photo and music syncing options. And it would appear from your comments that the only way of "fixing" it is if I "reset the phone". Surely this should not happen?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefa View Post
    I suppose I'll have to return it and get another one.
    It's a software issue on your phone or computer or both. Returning the phone isn't going to solve it, a new phone will likely do the same thing all things being equal. Try contacting Nokia support instead for a resolution.

Hi, exactly the same happened with my Lumia 820. Something went wrong when I moved pictures downloaded from the internet from the folder "saved pictures" on the phone into another folder on the micro SD card and later deleted that folder. From that moment on my phone appeared empty in Windows Explorer. Solution: I removed the micro SD card from the phone and the issue was gone, I could see all folders and files on the phone in explorer again.
    I checked the SD card on my PC and the folder that was supposed to be deleded was still there but corrupt (pictures could not be opened). I fixed it by running a dos-command chkdsk /f on the SD card. I inserted the SD card back into the phone and everything was fine again.
    It looks like moving files / deleting folders stored the Lumia using Windows Explorer is a bit tricky and does not always work properly (I already had that a picture folder could not be deleted but always reappeared, there only a reset of phone helped).

Quote Originally Posted by Adequate View Post
    Hi, exactly the same happened with my Lumia 820. Something went wrong when I moved pictures downloaded from the internet from the folder "saved pictures" on the phone into another folder on the micro SD card and later deleted that folder. From that moment on my phone appeared empty in Windows Explorer. Solution: I removed the micro SD card from the phone and the issue was gone, I could see all folders and files on the phone in explorer again.
    I checked the SD card on my PC and the folder that was supposed to be deleded was still there but corrupt (pictures could not be opened). I fixed it by running a dos-command chkdsk /f on the SD card. I inserted the SD card back into the phone and everything was fine again.
    It looks like moving files / deleting folders stored the Lumia using Windows Explorer is a bit tricky and does not always work properly (I already had that a picture folder could not be deleted but always reappeared, there only a reset of phone helped).
    @Adequate
    You are so spot on... I had the same issue with my 820 and followed your exact same procedure removing my SD card seem to allow me access to the content of my phone. There must be something linked with the SD card, haven't been able to validate the next step of repairing my sd card, For now I will just keep it out of my phone.

Try editing your settings in Windows Explorer, making sure that hidden files and folders are visible.

Gush.. we have the same situation ? is this problem solved?? im frustrated! DAMN!

try puting it back on factory settings

I had the same problem but my fix was for Windows 8 only....

(The windows 8 Music app was clashing with the phone and I had to disable Xbox Music Skydrive sync)
    I don't know if that can be translated to help with windows 7 in some way :-\

Have you tried syncing on another computer?

HI,

I have the same problem, did you ever get it resolved?

It used to work fine with my Nokia 920+Windows7, but today I had the same issue. the solution was restarting the Windows phone while it's connected to a computer(win7), then the computer started installing the drive, and then the Windows Phone connects fine.
    Just so that others don't get tripped up ... if your phone is showing up "Empty" on Windows 8 but you KNOW (LOL) it works on Windows 7 by just hooking up your USB and you can browse, use your password.

I didn't think this was it when I could not just simply browse my phone but in a fit of apathy (that's a contradiction in terms ... someone in a fit hasn't given up yet ) I finally tried it and Lo and Behold! I could browse my phone and copy files over.

DON'T get caught up in this one -- you CAN'T use One Drive and download from it to your Music folder. I thought again I had to be in error and wasn't. Confirmed with a Microsoft Rep via chat that One Drive isn't at all intuitive and it WON'T WORK AS ADVERTISED. You'll be able to see and select your files and then be left wondering " ... where could they have hidden the menu to MOVE my files ..." and if you do that, they will be moved. God only knows where.

After having spent time trying One Drive first, then working my way through the maze to finally get on chat, then finally figuring out what was up with the USB connection not letting me browse, seriously ... I spent nearly 3 hours moving 8 lectures over to my phone.

I'm a Microsoft Developer with Dot Net Nuke, I love it. I want to learn to do Windows Phone Apps, I think this would be a blast but frankly ... Microsoft really blew it and the convenience of One Drive just isn't there. No, wrong words completely. It SUCKS! And with throwing the curve of having to log into your phone with your password password to browse your phone ONLY ON WINDOWS 8 and not on 7 and say nothing ... that's really wizzed me off.

The experience I've had today is definitely not a warm and fuzzy and my Kudos go out to the rep in the chat session who mentioned this wasn't intuitive at all. I really felt like hell until I ran into this honest guy.

This being said, I just got my files over to my phone and during workouts, cycling, express bus rides can listen to my lectures and that's great. But I should have been done before lunch, NOT so late in the afternoon that I'm wondering what I'll fix for dinner right about now.

And that's all the news that's fit to print from Mike Durthaler in Columbus, Ohio. Goodnight America and be safe until the next broadcast.