Nokia Lumia 920 keeps shutting down

TiggleBitties

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
HI,
I got this phone the first week it was release on ATT. I immediately experience the phone abruptly shuts itself off for no reason. The only way to turn the phone back on is pressing the power and down vol buttons. I removed all the third party apps including first party beta apps and even updated the phone with the recent software update. The phone still shuts down now more often. Sometime twice a day. I love this phone. I'm a long time WP user and Nokia/MS is disappointing me this serious issue. My only option is to replace it? Is this a hardware issue?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks ...

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had my device for some time now and it never shuts down. You could try a factory reset. If that doesn't work I would exchange.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Do you have WiFi enabled? I suspect there's a bug that Microsoft and Nokia are working on, as even after the Portico update I've been having this issue. After talking to them, they had me disable WiFi, which seemed to have fixed this entirely.

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have WiFi enabled? I suspect there's a bug that Microsoft and Nokia are working on, as even after the Portico update I've been having this issue. After talking to them, they had me disable WiFi, which seemed to have fixed this entirely.

I have WiFi enabled 100% of the time and haven't had 1 random reboot the month or so I've owned my Lumia.

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I got a white 920 from AT&T a little over 2 weeks ago. It never shut down randomly or locked up. It did have a weird volume issue though that caused me to have to exchange for a new one. On my first night with my new one, it locked up on me, my alarm didn't go off, and made me late for church this morning. I'm afraid this problem is not happening to all the phones out there. I hope they get this resolved soon though. I already removed my battery app earlier today, and I'm gonna try shutting the WiFi off tonight. Hopefully that will work.

faded03cobra

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second 920, my first one I got about 3 weeks ago and it shut off several times a day. The new one I got on Thurs. has not shut off yet and my battery life on the new one is better. I would replace if I was you.

Yarrumc

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
HI,
I got this phone the first week it was release on ATT. I immediately experience the phone abruptly shuts itself off for no reason. The only way to turn the phone back on is pressing the power and down vol buttons. I removed all the third party apps including first party beta apps and even updated the phone with the recent software update. The phone still shuts down now more often. Sometime twice a day. I love this phone. I'm a long time WP user and Nokia/MS is disappointing me this serious issue. My only option is to replace it? Is this a hardware issue?
Any advice is appreciated.
N920 shutsdown and restart - YouTube
Thanks ...

I have the same issue. I have had this phone since the second week of the release. I have had to reset the phone about 10 times and it has done it 2 times this weekend. There hasn't been any particular time it does it. If it gets worse, I may get a hold of support to at least log a ticket with them and then might look into exchanging it. I am not sure any phone I have had has turned off and or crashed as much as this. I like this phone, so I hope it isn't the norm.

Yarrumc

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe we can post what apps we have and narrow down which are common and look to make sure they are updated and or start to remove them one by one until we find the culprit; assuming it is a buggy application?

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I removed battery sense app and left my WiFi off all night, and my new phone has acted normal. It actually has gotten great battery life today. Here's hoping for the same tomorrow.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My wife's phone does this... mine doesn't. Both purchased at the same time, same OS version, pretty much same apps.

Hers is going back to the store to be swapped. Phones should not do this.

maddeness14

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Sad to say, but I'm having this same issue. As a developer with Microsoft technologies I naturally couldn't wait to get this flagship WP8 device. I knew this phone was going to be the best of the best and kept tabs on it everyday until it came out. I even went as far as cancelling my Verizon contract early and jumping to at&t to get this phone for not only myself, but my fianc? (even suffered through her early upgrade fee) as well. I'm so thankful she has not encountered any problems, but as for me, I'm on my third device and still have the same issue. Many people reading my reply will assume I'm downloading some 3rd party app which is causing this issue, but I ask you to not come to that conclusion just yet. Other than Bluetooth and WiFi settings, I left my phone as stock as possible and still encountered this issue. I attempted not using Bluetooth as I felt like that could be the problem, but I still experienced random shut downs daily. I haven't experimented with leaving the WiFi off, but I will try that today and report back with my result.

Random question for the rest of you that are experiencing this. When you swipe to the left and view all your applications, are they categorized by letter...much like your contact list? Mine are, but my fianc? (with the working phone) is not, they are sorted alphabetically but not categorized by letter. I only ask because another friend who is having the shutdown problem has this symptom as well.

This phone is beautiful in so many ways, I can't give up on it!

nokiafan99

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think some devices have these issue. Mainly, hardware problem. I have this device since Nov 9th and never ever it did this. If Nokia care says that fix is on its way then you should wait

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think some devices have these issue. Mainly, hardware problem. I have this device since Nov 9th and never ever it did this. If Nokia care says that fix is on its way then you should wait
I think it is something related to the power saving mode, my gf have a HTC 8X and don't have the problem, it seems not a SW problem.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
In Settings->System there is a "feedback to Nokia" option.
Here you can score the phone from 1-10 and give a comment on why you scored as you did.
Maybe we should all send our feedback ...

Yarrumc

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have since uninstalled my battery app, since that has been one application I have had on since almost day one. I have switched between 2-3 of the battery apps, but I think they have all been on there at one time or another since day one. Maybe there is a bug that pertains to monitoring the battery or power saving mode? I will give it another couple days and follow up with my findings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo