Nokia 920 noob camera question

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Let me first say i currently own an 810 but would eventually like to buy an unlocked 920 because of all the awesome things being said about the camera. I know next to nothing about cameras, so is the 920 that much better as just a point and shoot or do i need to know how to make all sorts of technical adjustments, etc to get good pics?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You don't need special skills. I think most shots in the pictures thread above were taken in all auto mode. But if you do get more familiar with the camera settings (not that hard), it will help you get a little more out of it in certain situations.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not better than a good point and shoot, it's just better than every other phone camera (except the 808, but that has its own drawbacks). You don't have to make adjustments for good shots - most of my favorite pics are on auto. Unfortunately if you're getting an unlocked version, it's not going to have the Portico update until February, meaning the photos are going to be a little soft (not as sharp) until you either hack the update on yourself or wait until it's officially released. AT&T and Rogers (in Canada) have pushed this update out, so mine has it and it makes a big difference.

Don't expect a camera replacement for serious shooting and don't expect to be able to capture a running child in the dark without a flash (you need very specialized and expensive equipment for that), do expect good (and sometimes amazing) results of still or slow moving things in less-than-perfect lighting conditions (like indoors) without the flash, and good photos for a phone after you get the Portico update.

All that said, I love the camera in this phone - here are a bunch of photos I took with it, straight off the phone, mostly on auto, no editing at all. All of these were shot after the Portico update:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=AB2B9F4ABC5D4028!1687

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
The 920 is a good casual camera. On par with low to mid range Point and Shoot cameras. Low light and video performance is the cameras strengths.

As far as anything special to know before hand... as was said.. just make sure you take the protective sticker off before using. Beyond that, take the 920 out and experiment with the camera. Being digital, if you screw up all you need to do is delete and try again.

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have some noob questions.
How do I Zoom in and Zoom out when taking a video.
I can do it in camera with a pinch but the images are badly pixelated.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Annoyingly you can only zoom in video mode when you're NOT recording. It can't be done while shooting video unlike every other camera phone I've had. Nokia made a big song and dance about the camera on the 920 but the software running it has really let it down. Roll on February for the Portico update so I can actually start using the camera.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Easy - simply walk closer or further from your subject - it's called "sneaker zoom" :).

Seriously though, I'm guessing that because of the frame rate and quality of the video, they had to sacrifice digital zoom to keep performance (both capture and processing) up to par. It'd be cool if Nokia gave the option for low-res yet zoomable video, but they probably had too many other things to worry about finishing before the phone went to market.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't have anything to do with the resolution and frame rate because my N8 can zoom while recording 720p @30 fps
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't have anything to do with the resolution and frame rate because my N8 can zoom while recording 720p @30 fps
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

Maybe they thought it would annoy the user even more if they could zoom while shooting 720, but not 1080, or maybe it's an OS thing. Only the Nokia engineers know :)

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I own $2000 of camera bodies and $4000 of Professional lenses along with another $3000 of lighting gear, a grant with of Tipods etc. Not bragging, I just want to put this into context. I am a serious semi-pro photographer, it the best camera is the one you have with you. So I've made lots of use of my cell phone cameras over the years. Nothing has ever been achieved like the 920, other than the Pureview but I wouldn't carry that phone. In daylight, the camera quality is about on par with a very good point and shoot. In low light it easily eclipses any point and shoot I have seen. Only an advanced point and shoot with the ability to alter all settings, combined with a good tripod, would come close.

In shirt, if camera quality and capability are your priorities, I wouldn't look at any other phone. These statements only apply to Portaco equipped phones. At the moment, that pretty much all the locked phones (or they will be soon). Unlocked ones will get the update in a few weeks.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon