What actually caused the heat issues in some of the first batch of 920's?

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone replaced yesterday due to worsening creaking in the phone body. The phone also got uncomfortably hot doing simple tasks such as listening to music or using chat. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not, but judging by this new model it definitely was not. This one is so much cooler, and only got warm after 2 hours of music and chat non stop. I also read my local paper's review of the 920 who said that their initial model had heat issues, but the replacement did not.

So... Why did this happen? Is there any kind of logical explanation? They all use the same processor as far as I know.

anon(5355319)

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, I thought that the software/firmware played a role on the overheating issues. After I got the portico update, I am having better battery life and less overheating, I still get it from time to time while browsing or watching some videos, but it is not as hot than it was before.

Also, were you able to get a replacement directly from Nokia? Or through you carrier?

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, I thought that the software/firmware played a role on the overheating issues. After I got the portico update, I am having better battery life and less overheating, I still get it from time to time while browsing or watching some videos, but it is not as hot than it was before.

Also, were you able to get a replacement directly from Nokia? Or through you carrier?

Through my carrier, and as far as I know it is not running Portico as they hadn't released the update. Telecom New Zealand. Although I saw that the firmware for them is listed on Navifirm as being ready.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
now you are making me worried about mine....slight creaks if i press on it (but not bothersome at all), small warm ups if I use it to surf net for an hour or so

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
now you are making me worried about mine....slight creaks if i press on it (but not bothersome at all), small warm ups if I use it to surf net for an hour or so

My new one has a slight creak in the bottom left sometimes, which i'm trying very hard not to worry about :p But small warm ups sounds fine! There's a difference between warm and hot, and after an hour of using internet only being warm sounds fine :)

Stefan Joseph

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
did they replace it on the spot? mine got sent to nokia nz and ive been waiting for 2 weeks as it had gps issues. How long had you had yours for from telecom?

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
did they replace it on the spot? mine got sent to nokia nz and ive been waiting for 2 weeks as it had gps issues. How long had you had yours for from telecom?

Funny story that. Bought mine on the 22nd November and tried replacing it on the 25th however they said that they were out of stock and told me more stock would be in at Christmas. Then I went to France from the 3rd to the 25th and went into my local store on the 26th and got told I had had the phone for longer than 4 weeks and they would have to send it away. I declined, and sent in a complaint on the telecom complaint website saying that I previously had attempted to exchange the phone within the 4 week period. Got an email back asking what store I purchased it from and then got a friendly phone call from the manager of the store, who put a phone aside for me no questions asked until I got back from Queenstown. :)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The top right corner was creaking on my 1st one.

My phone still gets incredibly hot when playing games.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
my 920 gets so hot using certain apps that while plugged in, the percentage will go down. tonight it went from 26% to 9% while plugged in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3