Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Has anyone found a fix for this?
    Where the phone locks and needs to be soft reset to boot up

im on portico and it still happens albeit less frequently
    I have been plagued with this issue as well, except that a soft reset wouldn't always work. I tried numerous firmware revisions up to and including portico with no difference. In desperation, I waited until it locked up again, and then took it in its failed state to a nokia repair centre and they have sent it back to Nokia. I sort of get the feeling that if portico doesn't fix it, then returning it to Nokia is the only option.
    Im on my backup phone and android seems primitive now..

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I dont want to go through the waiting period :(
    itll suck

if yours gets fixed let me know please!
    then ill consider sending it in :p
    Neither did I, but they have said 5 days, and at the end of the day the phone is no good to me if it keeps locking up, especially when I can't guarantee that I can get it back on the first soft reset. The wait will be worth it if they fix it - will let you know
    Thanked by:
    earl_z 

I have this same issue with my 920 running portico. It's random, but it usually happens when I hook my phone up to the charger. Sometime during the night it locks up; I think when it gets to 100%. It's frustrating because before portico it would lock up but never when charging.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    mine never locks up when charging, even on portico - which is good.. i really need those alarms to work!

I've been going back and forth with Nokia and Microsoft about this. Nokia told me to disable all my background tasks and see if it went away, but it didn't entirely. Microsoft asked me to disable WiFi and see if it went away, and so far it has.

I had a white 920 for a little over 2 weeks and it never rebooted or locked up. Due to a weird volume issue I had to exchange for a new one. Well, I was late to church this morning, because my new one locked up on the first night. This morning, I removed the battery app I had installed, and tonight I'm gonna turn off the WiFi. Hopefully this will work. It appears that some phones don't have any trouble. Hopefully they'll get things figured out though.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Turn off wifi .. hmm

if it locks up again ill try it

Well, after removing the battery sense app and leaving my WiFi off all night, my phone alarm woke me as intended this morning. It has worked excellent all day, no shut downs. I even got excellent battery life today. Gonna see what tomorrow brings.

I removed the Skype to fix the problem....

I don't think the Wi-Fi matters.
    Thanked by:
    JNiemi 

Quote Originally Posted by xsonwong View Post
    I removed the Skype to fix the problem....

I don't think the Wi-Fi matters.
    I still have my Skype app installed. If it locks up again, I'll try removing Skype next.

Quote Originally Posted by knobturner75 View Post
    I still have my Skype app installed. If it locks up again, I'll try removing Skype next.
    OK, I was wrong, my phone lock up last night.
    It is not the Skype fault, still cannot find the root cause.

update: Nokia is working on a fix.
    Nokia Care ‏@NokiaHelps
    @xsonwong We are currently working on this. An update will be released early 2013 to address this but no specific date yet. ^EP
    Last edited by xsonwong; 01-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    WPenvy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xsonwong View Post
    OK, I was wrong, my phone lock up last night.
    It is not the Skype fault, still cannot find the root cause.
    Well, I couldn't sleep this morning when I posted earlier. When I went back to sleep, my phone ended up locking up. I guess I'll try removing Skype, even though it didn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by knobturner75 View Post
    Well, I couldn't sleep this morning when I posted earlier. When I went back to sleep, my phone ended up locking up. I guess I'll try removing Skype, even though it didn't work for you.
    For me, it improved a little bit.
    I will wait for the Nokia Fix...

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Removing Sype lessened my lockups. Still pretty annoying and I have let Nokia know via the Nokia feedback option in settings.

Quote Originally Posted by phirefly View Post
    Removing Sype lessened my lockups. Still pretty annoying and I have let Nokia know via the Nokia feedback option in settings.
    Nokia already noticed that...Waiting the fix :(

My 920 locks up pretty regularly. Probably once a day or once every other day. This is after Portico too. Prior to portico I had a lockup maybe once a week, so it's gotten worse for me.

I don't have Skype installed so I don't think that's related (or at least it's not the root cause). Based on a tip from someone else, I disabled wifi and that definitely helped. Before disabling wifi it was pretty much guaranteed that this phone would lock up while charging (wireless or usb) or while doing other tasks. Probably 3-4 times a day. Was very frustrating. AT&T said they'll replace the phone for me but they have no yellows. Nokia wants me to send it to them and they said they ahve a 10 day turnaround. Problem is, I don't have a landline and this is my only phone, so unless I went and got a throwaway phone for 2 weeks, it's not an option.

It's really marring what would be an otherwise great experience with this phone.
    Mine came back from Nokia on Thurs, working, by Fri it had locked up again, so I have to send it back to them again. So far, hardware resets make no difference, the phone reboots into a locked unresponsive state. Been onto Nokia support and I have to send it back yet again, so that will be another week or more without the phone :-(
    Worse thing is, they cant tell me if they will exchange the phone for a new one as the tech repair guy has to make that decision, Im worried that all they will do is flash another firmware on and then send it back..

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    Dang... Glad i found this after searching. My ***** self was going to try and go through ATT customer care, but they were gonna give me a refurbished unit and supposedely still the same colour. Being the skeptic i am with ATT and from what i've heard from other people and told them to forget it and contacted Nokia yesterday. They said it would be the max 10day turn around time. Since there is a fix coming i think i'll just wait. But then again i have the dust in the FF camera problem -_- I've been late to work twice in the past month because of this and missed time-sensitive calls from my stock broker. Last week my 920 locked up SIX TIMES! in one day, needless to say i was not happy at all.

Glad the fix was posted by them in a public setting. I trust they are telling the truth and have pinpointed it. Some ATT rep before kept saying it was the Bluetooth issue. ....No.

gtbuzz,
    see if you can find a GoPhone that uses a micro SIM. you can use that until they send yours back

I purchased a 920 at the same time as my wife... her unit actually locked up in the car before we got home and installed the phone update.

It then locked up several times over the next few days and eventually locked up mid-call.

Meanwhile my phone has never locked up...

We took hers back to the store and they swapped it. Her new phone has never locked up.
    My new Lumia 920 locks up every night, usually when left in a wireless charging cradle. My first yellow Lumia 920 never did, however I had to exchange it because wired charging broke two weeks later. I regret to say it but if I had to by a new phone, it would not be one from Nokia...

Quote Originally Posted by Fedor Zhuravlev View Post
    My new Lumia 920 locks up every night, usually when left in a wireless charging cradle. My first yellow Lumia 920 never did, however I had to exchange it because wired charging broke two weeks later. I regret to say it but if I had to by a new phone, it would not be one from Nokia...
    Mine does the same thing too, which is during the night. Fortunately not every time.. I don't think it was a hardware issue. BTW are you related with Fedor Emelianenko ? Just joking :p

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I got a replacement lumia 920

doesnt lock up

DAT FEEL

I go crazy with with my lumia, after portico update my phone go blank and get reset date is randomly (last one 1.9.1012 and time were 09.01).
    When i press open/lock button only thing what i get is those three buttons lights flash and thats it.
    Allways have softreset this piece of ****. I cant trust this phone at all, after portico update.
    I have remove software by software and nothing helps, still same problem occurs.
    Hope this will fixed soon, because without those damn bugs this would be phone just for me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast