Phone dies with battery at 20 percent

aguapoman

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I recently started using the Battery Status app to track battery usage and charge times on my Lumia 920. In a one week period my phone has died at the end of the day twice, and both times the Battery Status app indicates that I still had 20% charge left! Obviously I'd like my phone to not die on me until closer to 2%... Does anyone know how to fix this, or has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

strikexx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
this is not what the poster meant at all
Yes it is.

The poster thinks that his battery dies out at 20%, because he reads that information from the Live Tile, which stops updating as soon as the Battery Saver goes active (at 20%). So yeah, the tile will keep on displaying 20% while the effective battery percentage will lower and the phone will eventually die.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Besides, letting battery go really low is very harmful to the lifespan of that battery. Since the battery is not user replaceable, you are risking kill your phone real fast.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I understands what OP is talking about. For me it kind of depends what you are running at the time. Sometimes I'll hit battery saver mode and if I just turn the phone on preiodically to check email or things like that it may last a long while. but If I'm using it for things like twitter , things that take location services it wont last more than a few minutes before its about to shut off. A 2 tier warning system like there is on iOS would be alot better. you get notified at 20 and the 10 %.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just one thing to note, at 20% battery saver kicks in, at 10% the phone will shut down by itself. But live tiles and email updates stop at 20%.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is.

The poster thinks that his battery dies out at 20%, because he reads that information from the Live Tile, which stops updating as soon as the Battery Saver goes active (at 20%). So yeah, the tile will keep on displaying 20% while the effective battery percentage will lower and the phone will eventually die.

my battery status live tile works until 8%....

I think the OP was exaggerating because sometimes my phone will shut off at around 10%, which i deem to be unacceptable.

StaticMain

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The battery initially drains out to about 2% then shuts down. But if you turn it back on, then there's still ~20% truly left in the battery. Is this what you're talking about OP?

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I was getting 6-7 hours a day on battery, only weather channel was running in background. I did a full restore and still same results, I drained the battery until it wouldn't turn on anymore. Now I am getting 18 hours a day avg, its been 12 hours since I've unplugged my phone today and its at 65%, so yes draining it helps alot and I've heard from other people too. Its not like I'm gonna drain it once a week, true story bro

aguapoman

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
It looks like many of you were partly right... It turns out that the GRAPH of the battery saver app stops at 20 percent, but in fact the phone does not actually die at that point. Tonight I opened the app and it showed the status was actually at 5%. In any case, this phone has a crappy battery life. I have wifi and NFC both off, and I only turn on Bluetooth when I'm using it. If I do ANYTHING on the phone throughout the day,it is stone cold by the end of the night. I like WP8, but the little things are killing me.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It looks like many of you were partly right... It turns out that the GRAPH of the battery saver app stops at 20 percent, but in fact the phone does not actually die at that point. Tonight I opened the app and it showed the status was actually at 5%. In any case, this phone has a crappy battery life. I have wifi and NFC both off, and I only turn on Bluetooth when I'm using it. If I do ANYTHING on the phone throughout the day,it is stone cold by the end of the night. I like WP8, but the little things are killing me.

Read what i posted before u and follow directions and u will be happy, trust me

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
"I drained the battery until it wouldn't turn on anymore" do you mean when you get the battery picture right after the initial AT&T logo. or when it doesnt turn on at all.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
"I drained the battery until it wouldn't turn on anymore" do you mean when you get the battery picture right after the initial AT&T logo. or when it doesnt turn on at all.

until it wont turn on at all, keep doing a soft reset at that point and it might start back up and show you like 10 percent, I don't know why it does that, but then keep draining until its completely dead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes