Find My Phone shows as "Off" in the Settings Menu, but it appears to be On

bigpunk6

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
When you say reset do you mean reset to factory or restart? I really don’t want to lose my saved games and other settings. This is why we need a full backup solution.

Add another one to the bug list.

bevmo73

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My phone is stuck like this also - find my phone says off on the settings system menu, but the find my phone screen slider says on. Tried a soft reset, not worth doing a factory reset and reinstall.

I got a replacement phone last week I restored to, (same 920 model, AT&T portico preloaded), but maybe something got messed up, the restore process didn't seem to complete properly.
I don't have two phones on windowsphone.com
I am able to find my phone from windows.com and get it to ring.

However, because I don't have the deeper settings available to enable push notifications, when I buy an app from mywindowsphone, it is not set to and installed automatically on the phone...

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone is stuck like this also - find my phone says off on the settings system menu, but the find my phone screen slider says on. Tried a soft reset, not worth doing a factory reset and reinstall.

I got a replacement phone last week I restored to, (same 920 model, AT&T portico preloaded), but maybe something got messed up, the restore process didn't seem to complete properly.
I don't have two phones on windowsphone.com
I am able to find my phone from windows.com and get it to ring.

However, because I don't have the deeper settings available to enable push notifications, when I buy an app from mywindowsphone, it is not set to and installed automatically on the phone...

I have the same issue but it can't find my phone. I am not factory resetting my phone. When I factory reset my phone I sent back, it bricked. I know there's a fix for it but I really don't want to deal with that. Its not worth the hassle honestly, but these little things going wrong really build up with this phone/os.

digaos

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue but it can't find my phone. I am not factory resetting my phone. When I factory reset my phone I sent back, it bricked. I know there's a fix for it but I really don't want to deal with that. Its not worth the hassle honestly, but these little things going wrong really build up with this phone/os.

I had the same issue with a couple of 920s. In both cases a factory reset solved the issue.

I also had a phone bricked when I did a factory reset, but restoring using the solution available in this forum is easy enough that factory resets don't scare me anymore. I actually factory reset a few times different phones, and it went smoothly evert time (except that first one I mentioned).

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apparently MS doesn't know which options are on the phones running the OS that they produced. Some people will only see the toggle while others will see the two options from post #8. Pretty odd in my opinion.

From @WindowsPhoneSupport: We don't have details on what decides what option is on the phone. If we get any info, we'll let you know. ^EB

in response to my question about why I don't have the two options from post #8 on my Lumia 920 (AT&T)

dcliff

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get this fixed by deleting my phones from the windows phone website and setting it up from scratch.
Restoring seems to mess with those settings.
I had a replacement phone that was missing those settings after a restore.

Last edited:

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had two phones (old and a replacement -activated and running off the same profile/backup). I deleted the old one, factory-rest it and sent it back to AT&T. The new one though shows the same issues as above. I can RING and FIND my phone from the website but the options in settings says OFF, but the slider is ON. Weird. Really, weird. I don't want to F-R it now.
What happens if I delete the phone from the site? And then re-add it (as suggested in a support page). Will it reset my phone? Will my backups be erased?

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok apparently, to re-add the phone, you'll need to reset it to FR. No thanks. I think I can live with this.
BTW, does anybody know if the Find my Phone feature should be running in real-time? I can only see the last location I tried to find the phone, which could be ages ago. If my phone is lost/stolen and switched off and I go to the site to find it, will it still show any location? Or only when it's turned back on?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I had two phones (old and a replacement -activated and running off the same profile/backup). I deleted the old one, factory-rest it and sent it back to AT&T. The new one though shows the same issues as above. I can RING and FIND my phone from the website but the options in settings says OFF, but the slider is ON. Weird. Really, weird. I don't want to F-R it now.
What happens if I delete the phone from the site? And then re-add it (as suggested in a support page). Will it reset my phone? Will my backups be erased?

I thought I read somewhere that the only way to re-add it to the site is to factory reset it. I am in the exact same boat as you are. Replacement phone is jacked.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok apparently, to re-add the phone, you'll need to reset it to FR. No thanks. I think I can live with this.
BTW, does anybody know if the Find my Phone feature should be running in real-time? I can only see the last location I tried to find the phone, which could be ages ago. If my phone is lost/stolen and switched off and I go to the site to find it, will it still show any location? Or only when it's turned back on?

Only when it is turned back on. It not not fully work for those of us who are in this situation.

sentino123

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I have found that if you stick the square box 'save location... When battery ........run out'. The status will be on also. So I think this is ansoftware problem. Dont be so worry

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, besides the INVERTED setting - Off for ring lock erase, and on for showing off I have a different issue.
When I go to windowsphone.com, and I regulary log in to my acount I go to find my phone and nothing, it just shows My phone. I tried from Chrome, IE, and FF. What else is very interesting, when I log in to my wife's account, and go to find my phone, everything is as is should be, and it finds her Lumia710 in secs.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
mine did that once. the first time I set up my second phone it showed up like that. I think it's because I loaded the settings from a backup. the backup had that feature turned on but the OS have a bug there for showing it as OFF in the menu. I fixed it by turning Find My Phone off then save that as the back up, then reset my phone.

Quin452

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issues (Settings shows as Off, yet Slider is On with no extra options) - it's been like this for a few months (even been updated).

Just had a ping from the site, so it does work, although the settings are messed up - kinda wish I could set it so that it was always on :-/

Does it matter than I have my 7 Mozart on the site as well?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills