Remember how some of us had a bunch of scratch issues around launch?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
i think that most of the hardware problems happen with black 920. the other colors seem to have been made more carefully. did they rush black expecting high demand for that color?
also in almost all drop/scratch test i see white 920 being used so yea.

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Bought my black 920 on launch day (US) and it's had a Speck case on it with no screen protector since day one. Don't know what the back looks like but the screen is absolutely flawless. Keep it in a front pants pocket with no keys or change and, to this day, not the slightest blemish or scratch.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Me too.

I have an original Rogers unlocked batch unit... minor scratches on the screen despite being babied.
I also have an int'l one that was manufactured around 4 weeks later that is still flawless despite being carried nonchalantly.

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought a military shield screen protector and it is phenomenal. You can't even see it and honestly I like the feel better than the actual screen.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think Nokia could have really differentiated by keeping production in Europe and other countries, as well as keeping a lot of production in-house. It seems that moving manufacturing to China is having its challenges. I would totally believe that some unscrupulous folk at a factory would switch the glass and batteries .. maybe I've seen too many movies ...

I think Nokia could have really differentiated by keeping production in Europe and other countries, as well as keeping a lot of production in-house. It seems that moving manufacturing to China is having its challenges. I would totally believe that some unscrupulous folk at a factory would switch the glass and batteries .. maybe I've seen too many movies ...

Nokia has had that same China factory since 2001. No production has moved anywhere, they just make under 100 million phones in every 3 months so they have cut manufacturing. Nokia has 9 other factories around the globe. Salo in Finland always only produced small part of the high end phones with the Romanian (last Western cell phone plant) factory that was only up for 2 years only producing mid end phones.

Nokia makes its phones more in-house than example Apple as it actually designs and does put them together on its factories that it owns. There's really only one other manufacturer that does it more in-house and that's Samsung.

Just wanna remind that Nokia still has 120 000 people working for them (50 000 more than Apple) and majority of that work goes to R&D.

Last edited:

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Word of advice for those interested; I've had my Nokia Lumia 920 since launch and, to this day my screen is pristine; can't find the slightest scratch on it. I don't use screen protectors but I do clean it regularly with lens cleaning wipes. (Zeiss btw) I keep it in my front pocket with no keys or change. I don't use a lens cleaning "cloth" as I've found they've scratched the **** out of my BlackBerrys. This has worked for me ....no BS...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine is not from the first batch of phones, but probably second batch. Bought in Finland as soon as it became available, so I've had it some months now too, screen is totally pristine. I would guess this is indeed related to some certain batch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes