Cheap new 920 buying guide

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have a chance to buy a new unlocked NL920 from a small on-line business in my country.
The phone will be shipped to me, but I have the opportunity to check the package before I pay it and I have the option to decline it if I don't like something.
I've read on-line about checking the genuine box to be sealed, to have the same IMEI on the invoice/box/phone,
and to check the phone and the accessories that comes with it.

The thing I am most afraid is that the phone is not genuine or is refurbished.
Is there a way to check for some kind of logos, stickers, serial numbers or anything else to confirm the authenticity of the product?
Is there a way to tell if the phone is refurbished, like a secret code or a life timer?
The life timer isn't reset after reinstalling/upgrading the OS ? Is the life-timer resettable?
I thought about calling Nokia , but if the phone is refurbished by the retailer, Nokia wouldn't know about it, no?

Another thing I read on-line is that is a difference in a never locked phone and a unlocked one, the first being better
as it is made in the factory, with OS and software already installed and optimized.
Some say that the process of unlocking a phone, after it leaves the factory, makes other functions work bad or not at all.
Having a seal on the box does not mean that the box was never opened and it would be great if someone would teach us
how to check our new Lumia 920. Would be even great if someone from Nokia contribute to this thread.

Thank you for your time and sorry for my bad english!

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to say that there are many small retailers, and the cheapest one offers NL920 for 590 euros.
The cheapest trustworthy big retailer offers NL920 for 690 euro.
Should I pay the extra 100 euros for the peace of mind?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'd pay for the peace of mind given that the L920 is very difficult to get hold of, and there's a high chance of potential scams.

For your reference, (on the UK version at least) there is no seal on the box. the only presumable way to check for authenticity is in the build quality of the product, there might be a life timer I don't know about though.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
In my country they are not hard to come by. I just have to decide what price I am willing to pay.

I talked with my friends and they said that a sealed box doesn't necessarily mean a new product,
and a expensive retailer does not necessarily mean you have a greater chance of getting a genuine, un-refurbished product.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven