Is anybody's Lumia 920 not suffering from either a hardware or software issue?

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Fair warning, this post is a little bit of a rant. So first, some history about my history with Nokia.

I've only used Nokias my whole life. For the last 13 years since I was 16, from the 3210 to my now current (2) Nokia Lumia 920's. I've never had any serious problems with my Nokias, not until recently. I'm a brand loyalist and I never had any reason to switch from Nokia. Sure the occasional random reboots happened with my Nokia E7, but being a smartphone it never bothered me. My partner's N8 battery started failing after a year + a few months of use which isn't so bad considering it was issue-free during all that time.

When that happened we decided to get new phones. The 920 had just been released but opting to go the cheap route, he got a Lumia 800 and me the 900. For the most part I loved my cyan 900. It had good battery, never heated up, barely EVER got warm at all, was rock solid to the feel like a freaking brick. The only issues I had with it was random reboots about once a day or 2, didn't bother me at all because it booted up very fast and it never happened while I was actually doing something, mostly when I'm just looking at the homescreen. That and the fact that the chrome strip on the back was very prone to scuffing. I only used it a month and the chrome strip looked battered. I've never used any sort of protection on my phones before and honestly the rest of the 900 looked flawless except for that strip.

Fast forward a month with my cyan 900, my first windows phone, and I've been reading all this stuff about WP8. Increased capabilities, better support for a wider range of functions and what not. Now I did read up a bit about how WP7 devices will not be compatible with WP8 and apps specifically developed using the Windows 8 kernel. I just naturally assumed that since WP8 devices will be backwards compatible with WP7 devices that developers would just naturally choose to make apps compatible with both versions of WP. So I was wrong. I was missing out on a lot of new and great apps coming out for WP8 that I simply can't get on my 900, in addition to the new start screen. Microsoft really bent WP7 users over and stuck it to them with this honestly. I never blamed Nokia, it's not like they're in control of what goes on with WP development.

Anyway, I got annoyed and antsy and decided to buy a Lumia 920, a month after getting my 900. We always purchase our phones outright and never get locked down to any contract because 1) We're on a GREAT legacy plan that is so cheap and gives so much credit and 2) We tend to change phones before a 24-month contract would be up. So this was an extravagant purchase for sure. Despite great disapproval from my partner I decided to purchase a 920 even though it didn't come in cyan which is my preferred color (we get the grey in Australia instead, but it's super rare). I initially wanted to get a yellow one but our local shops didn't have any yellow ones in stock so I settled for a white one.

Right off the bat I had glaring issues with this 920. It heated up a lot and the battery life is piss poor. The heat was especially worrisome whenever I used the phone while it was charging, to the point where the ceramic keys were actually too hot to touch. The 900 had absolutely no such overheating issues even when used while on charge and the one and only Nokia that ever got "warm" on me was my E7 and that was when I downloaded an app that over-wrote the screen brightness and I set it to full and watched videos, then the screen would get warm. This wasn't warm, it was HOT and the first phone ever to do so on me. It was a major concern.

Right around this time my partner had an accident with his Lumia 800. He set it on a desk and the desk had some undried super glue on it so it stuck to the phone (his desk, so it was his clumsiness). I managed to get the super glue off using nail polish remover and a lot of scrubbing but in the process I accidentally scratched the "Gorilla Glass" (the glue was on the back of the phone so I had to scrub it off with the screen facing down on the desk). So the screen had a very tiny scratch on it.

The next day I decided to go back to the store I purchased my 920 from and see if they could initiate an exchange or a repair for it. Unfortunately for me, I had already factory reset the 920 prior to bringing it back so when the storeperson tried to replicate the heating issue I experienced, there weren't very many apps on the phone that would make it heat up. Simply going through the menus and browsing did make the phone warm though so they sent it to Nokia for "assessment". So they told me that Nokia might fix it and send it back to me, or give them the OK to hand me a replacement off the shelf, or simply turn around and say that it's normal behavior and that the phone simply operates that hot (I should hear from them in a few days and if it turns out this is normal behavior I'm getting myself an iPhone5).

Anyway, due to some complications the store wasn't able to provide me with a loan phone. Not having foreseen this problem, I had already gotten rid of my old cyan 900. Instead of going without a phone for a week or 2 my partner instead decided to just get himself a new phone and let me use his (now somewhat superficially flawed) Lumia 800 until I get my 920 back. He decided to go with the iPhone5 this time around, the first time he'd use a non-Nokia phone in the 9 years we've been together. Still having faith in Nokia and being sure that I was unlucky and got a defective unit, I tried swaying him to go for the 920 like I did, but seeing as he favored smaller phones (Nokia N8, Lumia 800) I had little chance of succeeding. So off we drove to the next town over to get an iPhone since there were no retailers nearby that sold them outright.

On our way out from the iPhone purchase I spotted a yellow Lumia 920 display unit and was quick to ask the salesperson if they had any in stock. They had ONE. This was the first and only yellow unit I've come across and I've read threads about how difficult it is to find one. A testament to my faith in Nokia, and convinced that I was unlucky and got a lemon with the white one, I purchased this yellow 920 right then and there. I figured it was a sign, my white one sucked and here's my second chance to get the perfect 920, it's gonna be yellow and issue-free! Boy was I wrong...

Granted this yellow one has been easier to live with, and worried me less than the white one but it's got its own set of issues. The deliberate design "gap" between the polycarb body and the screen is more pronounced on this yellow unit than my white one, and has started gathering dust (I used a post-it note to clear them out). I'm worried that later on the dust will get under the screen. This one also has some "give" on the sides of the screen meaning the screen isn't completely flush against the body and when pressing down hard on it I hear some very low "creaks and clicks" on the device. It also suffers from random reboots much more often than the overheating white one. Whereas after using the white one for about a week I only encountered one random reboot, this yellow one reboots once or twice each day since I've had it.

So there you go, on the one had I have a white 920 with excellent build quality expected of Nokia's standards, but overheats and has a huge battery drain whenever in use. And on the other I have a gorgeous yellow 920 with dust-gathering gaps, creaky clicky screen and rebooting problem. And still relatively poor battery life especially compared to my partner's new iPhone 5, which lasts him about 3-4 days on a single charge (he's a light user, mostly just calls/texts/photos). I'm yet to make my battery last 2 full days no matter how "lightly" I use it, even on the yellow unit which has slightly better battery performance. No reboots on the iPhone either, but instead you're forced to deal the nightmare that is iTunes and iOS with its lack of at-a-glance information support (ie. Live Tiles or Widgets).

Either way, once Nokia gets back to me, depending on their response I might try my luck with a third Lumia 920, or choose between an iPhone 5 or a Galaxy S3. If you've read this far my question to you is:

Do you have an issue-free Lumia 920? And if you do, how many 920's did you go through before you got lucky? I've been reading about people who are on their third or fourth replacement 920's so this doesn't seem to be uncommon. And if it is a large-scale issue then I think we should inform Nokia one way or another.

When I look at the Lumia 920 forums, most of the threads are about people having issues with their phones, I took a look at other handset forums and it's not like this. It seems like people are seeking out these forums not to share their excitement about the phone, but instead to seek help with issues they're experiencing with it, which to me is saddening. And honestly, I'm not proud to start another one of those threads but I am simply devastated by my recent experience with Nokia and the amount of money I've sunk into trying to find the "perfect" 920 and still not getting it in the end. I just wanna know how many people out there have issue-free 920's and if that number is higher than that of people who have issues with theirs. Because frankly, to me it seems that there are more people that have one issue or another (or several) with their 920's and if that's the case then there's something seriously wrong with Nokia's recent manufacturing process and quality control management that ought to be brought to light, for the the good of Nokia and their customers.

TLDR: Do you have an issue-free Lumia 920? And if you do, how many 920's did you go through before you got lucky?

Last edited:

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When I look at the Lumia 920 forums, most of the threads are about people having issues with their phones, I took a look at other handset forums and it's not like this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums

you didnt look very hard. notice all the complaining threads about something that has to do with the gs3? every phone has them. the complainers are more vocal than the happy owners. there are threads on here with ppl voicing their happiness with the lumia 920. you must not have looked very hard for those also. but to answer your question. my first 920 was a black one. i had it for 1 week and it kept randomly rebooting on me. it was a first batch phone. LOTS of manufacturers have issues with first batch phones. i took it back on the 13 day mark and got a red one. i still have that red one 2 months later. the only thing that it does that some ppl call an issue (but i dont) is it gets warm above the camera on the back when i am doing certain things. but it's not as bad as some ppl would lead you to believe. other than that i am happy with it and glad that i made the purchase. WP8 has some things missing but i have a good feeling that MS will address those things with future updates. there has already been 1 update 30 days after wp8 came out. that's very good support. another one is coming out in a couple month also.

by the way, i also own and use a galaxy s3 daily. i can tell you from experience that the lumia 920's battery lasts longer than the galaxy s3's. that's real life every day use fact.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on my second yellow 920. The first one was problematic to say the least and would freeze on a regular basis, sometimes multiple times per day. That one eventually died so I had it replaced with another one. My second 920 is perfect and works as expected. It doesn't reboot or freeze up and it doesn't overheat.

You mentioned that your yellow one has a gap between the screen and the body. This shouldn't be the case as the screen and body should be perfectly sealed. Also, these phones can get warm under certain conditions but shouldn't be getting so hot as to cause discomfort. So it sounds like you have two faulty phones which both need replacing or at least to be repaired.

And tebugg is spot on. Forums are a place for people to go when they are having problems with their phone and there are plenty of Android and iOS forums with tons of complaints of various problems.

I also know quite a few people with the 920 who are having no issues at all so my advise to you is to hang in there and get both phones replaced so you can then start to enjoy this excellent phone.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 best phone on this planet at least mother in law has iPhone 5 what joke! Locked up right in front of us when was comparing to my Lumia 920 on Xmas she was so embarrassed but that's what she wanted so she that's what she get all she does now is sweat my phone

Zolotoy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I do not have any problems with my white Lumia. I am a light user, mostly using the phone for what a phone was invented for: calling and receiving calls. No games, videos, some web browsing, texting and such.

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently on my second yellow 920. The first one was problematic to say the least and would freeze on a regular basis, sometimes multiple times per day. That one eventually died so I had it replaced with another one. My second 920 is perfect and works as expected. It doesn't reboot or freeze up and it doesn't overheat.

You mentioned that your yellow one has a gap between the screen and the body. This shouldn't be the case as the screen and body should be perfectly sealed. Also, these phones can get warm under certain conditions but shouldn't be getting so hot as to cause discomfort. So it sounds like you have two faulty phones which both need replacing or at least to be repaired.

And tebugg is spot on. Forums are a place for people to go when they are having problems with their phone and there are plenty of Android and iOS forums with tons of complaints of various problems.

I also know quite a few people with the 920 who are having no issues at all so my advise to you is to hang in there and get both phones replaced so you can then start to enjoy this excellent phone.

That's the second time I've heard someone say the 920 should be gapless but it's really not. I don't think people realize the gap we're referring to when we say sometimes the gaps are too wide and collects dust.

You will see here on gizmodo's review pictures the gaps I'm referring to. Just look closely and you're notice some black material that separates the screen from the body and that material has a gap.

Nokia Lumia 920 Australian Hands-On: The Gorgeously Familiar Future Is Here | Gizmodo Australia

And here is a close up:

Nokia+Lumia+920+Red+bottom.JPG

See? I did not take this picture. This is just some random close up shot from some site. That gap is on EVERY 920. If you look at your 920 closely you will see it too. It's how the phone was designed. It's just that some phones were not assembled flawlessly and the gap is wider than usual and would collect dust while on others the gap is very narrow, unable to let dust in and gives the illusion that the phone is seamless. But if you look closely, every 920 has the gap. The Lumia 800 had no such gap, it was truly seamless, the glass was fitted flush against the body. The 900 had black material between the glass and the body but it was a "raised lip" instead of a gap.

Nokia-Lumia-920-Red-13.jpg

Chris_Adante

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My experience of the Nokia Lumia 920 is not a positive one either, and i cant seem to find anyone else who has had exactly the same issue.

I plugged my 920 in to the wired charger and it started discharging at a rapid rate (from 36%).
While there was still charge in the phone i tried a blackberry charger, and also plugged it into my Macbook via USB to see if it was just a fault with the Nokia charger. But it continued to discharge.

After a while the phone ran out of charge and switched off, but it looked like it kept trying to boot up. All it was doing was showing the 'NOKIA' logo and then a screen with a battery icon with one red bar. It continuously looped these two screens until the battery completely drained and turned the phone into nothing more than a brick.
I tried a Soft Reset and a Hard Reset whilst on the Nokia screen and neither worked.
Im assuming that it is a battery/hardware issue rather than a software/firmware related one.

Either way its with Nokia now and i should hopefully be receiving it back shortly.
I think i will be selling it though as i have lost a bit of faith in the product, especially since there seems to be so many people having issues.
Like many others i need a reliable phone and i cant be without my phone for weeks at a time.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine works great and you are very very very very (like 10,000 more verys) wrong about other forums not being all about issues with phones. I find in general the 920 forum has LESS complaints than lots of other popular phones.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just come off the phone arranging exchange/delivery of my 4th 920!..............the new replacement i received just yesterday is suffering from a loud buzzing/static kind of noise from the earpiece during a phone call making it difficult to hear the person i'm speaking to.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
no issues, and I know for a fact they have had very low return rate. either every person with a problem posts on these forums, or half of these posts are 12 year old owners of other phones acting like morons.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm on #2. Battery life sucked on both and heating up issues weren't as bad on second. Even after Portico update. Gave Portico a week with no change and performed factory reset on a fully charged battery, important. Manually flashed latest version as described in forums. Went from 9-10%/hr to 3-4%/hr and only heats up with heavy use. Only thing that has helped since launch. Same apps, same setup and I can now make it through the day on one charge. I'm currently waiting on next available flagship WP8 device. I don't care what it is but I know I've bought my last Nokia. This device has software issues and hardware issues. I won't make the same mistake again. Love the OS but I hate this phone. I still have numerous other issues, but I can live with them until Surface phone comes out.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell me what 'ceramic keys' you are referring to?

Regardless, do any smart phones not have at least some hardware or software issues? Every iPhone since launch has had some and every Android hand set has too, in one way or another. That's a fact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos