Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree1Likes
  1. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #1  
    I received my 4th cyan L920 (3RD replacement) today and I can't wait to start setting up my apps again :(. Nokia has great customer support and I applaud them for doing what they can to help a customer out.
    Emailing Stephen Elop with each phones issue (battery) resulted in a new phone being sent out each time.
    I said that #3 was nokias final shot at winning my love but I gave in and gave them 4th so here we go . If #4 has any issue that prevents me from enjoying/using my device to its fullest then its going to eBay. What are L920s going for on eBay anyway?
    I will update once I play with the new phone for a few days.
  2. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #2  
    Hi

    If you can post Firmware, OS version etc

    Thanks
  3. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    527 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,248 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by iosub View Post
    Hi

    If you can post Firmware, OS version etc

    Thanks
    0.o'' wtf?
  4. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #4  
    The new phone is
    os ver:8.0.10211.204
    FW ver:1232.5951.1249.0001
    Hw ver:1.0.0.0
    Radio ver:1.0.202075.3
    Chip soc ver:8960

    Same as my current l920
    Thanked by:
    iosub 
  5. mbranscum's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #5  
    I'm sorry if I offend you OP, but this business of people getting 3-4 defective phones...I mean, what are the chances? Sorry for being cynical but I think we have a lot of OCD people around. It's nothing new though. I've been watching this sort of stuff go on since the early Moto and Nokia days.
    Mike
  6. sud123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #6  
    I just got the 4th one for my wife...
    1st: Power button stopped responding after a couple of days. Replaced with a new one.
    2nd: Mic dint work, got replaced immediately with a new one.
    3rd: Display went dead after a month, tried every trick in the hat to restore it. Finally received the refurbished replacement today.

    Don't blame the consumer, blame the product.
    Sent from my Lumia 920
  7. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    I'm sorry if I offend you OP, but this business of people getting 3-4 defective phones...I mean, what are the chances? Sorry for being cynical but I think we have a lot of OCD people around. It's nothing new though. I've been watching this sort of stuff go on since the early Moto and Nokia days.
    no offense taken. My first att launch l920 had a battery that lasted no longer than 4 hours almost no use. Att replaced it and the second one had the exact same issue and this was with no apps installed not even the Nokia drive or anything. Nokia replaced it with a new one #3 and it worked flawlessly until it the portico update in which my battery life was destroyed. My phone started locking up after every phone calls.where I had to do a soft restart after a phone call. When I contacted Nokia they had me list every bug or issue I had prior and after the portico updates plus Nokia updates and email them to someone and now once they get my phone they are supposed to tinker with it to see why those bugs happened in the first place. So now I'm on #4.
  8. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    #8  
    If battery is not so good on this one try factory reset with full charge and manually flash latest version. Only solution that fixed my battery issues. If its going to eBay anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try. Here's to lucky #4.
  9. scatterman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #9  
    I just sent my second L920 in for repairs (blown speaker in earpiece). They determined it could not be repaired, so they sent a replacement. The replacement they sent has scratches on the screen. The scratches are in a swirly pattern. I have no idea how someone was able to scratch the screen on this thing. One of the scratches is so deep you can feel it with your fingernail, and even your fingertip when you are moving it on the screen. What is even more astonishing is how Nokia sent this thing to me as a replacement. It had a piece of plastic stuck to the screen when I opened it, so it was obviously not damaged in shipping. I was chatting with customer service within a few minutes of receiving the device, they passed it on to another person who is supposed to contact me in 48-96 hours. I'll update when I hear what they provide as a solution. Hopefully, they won't ask me to send them this thing for another two weeks before they send me a replacement.
  10. cardinalryan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    I'm sorry if I offend you OP, but this business of people getting 3-4 defective phones...I mean, what are the chances? Sorry for being cynical but I think we have a lot of OCD people around. It's nothing new though. I've been watching this sort of stuff go on since the early Moto and Nokia days.
    Personally, I had four different L920's before I finally gave up. The quality control on this phone is nothing short of brutal. And I'm waiting on someone to say that my experience doesn't speak for everybody. Well, that's true, but I live with me and if I had four phones that all had a fatal flaw, then I can safely say that, in my world, the quality control of the L920 is brutal. If you can get one that works, it's a nice phone though!
  11. anthonyng's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    #11  
    Sorry if you posted it somewhere but what were your 4 fatal flaws?
  12. Chris_Kez's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    582 Posts
    Global Posts
    584 Global Posts
    #12  
    Knock in wood I've had no real issues once the battery situation settled down after a week or so of use. L920 on AT&T
  13. wjlim3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #13  
    Mine is the same situation as Chris_Kez. Battery life initially was somewhat poor (not extremely poor), now it's good. (I have wifi, NFC, 3g on all the time and it lasts whole day of moderate usage - gaming, surfing, reading) as long as the phone was used in an area with good reception.
  14. alphonsohall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    #14  
    I received my 4th replacement 920 yesterday, i was going to call it a day when the 3rd one was faulty on receipt and cancel my contract ('buzzy' earpiece on calls) but tmobile seemed happy to send me a 4th replacement (brand new, not refurbished) ........fingers crossed, it seems ok so far.
  15. #15  
    To the OP, if this one has battery problems, would you consider running some benchmarks to test whether it is a hardware or a software problem. I've been harping to people that random battery drain is not a hardware problem and will not be fixed by exchanging the phone and your case could be a good test.

    download the app, "WPbench" available here: WP Bench | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) when you have time to kill and run the battery test. This strains the CPU to max in order to drain the battery as quickly as possible. Since the CPU should already be at max capacity, any other program causing battery drain should not make any difference. Most people see times around 2 hours or so.

    If the battery lasts 2 hours then any problems are software related and won't be fixed by exchanging the hardware. My pet theory is a rouge API that continues after the app that spawned it has been shutdown which is utilized by multiple apps (hence the many skype/whatapps/nokia drive/nokia trailers killed my battery threads). If its a rouge API, a simple reboot (not reset) should be enough to clear it.

    Also, make sure to download and app like battery status http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...0-e6e95281b444. This one shows the time remaining on even the smallest tile. If time remaining is greater than a day for a reasonable charged phone then there is no battery drain. If it drops to like 8 hours(with 90-100% battery left) once you've shut down apps and have allowed the program 10-20 minutes to requery battery draw levels, it may be time for a reset.

    I really wish we had access to diagnostics like on windows phone 7 and 7.5. One of the options allowed you to see the actual current of the battery in realtime. It would be helpful in times like this. Here's what it looked like on my lumia 900.
    wp_20130110_001.jpg
  16. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,412 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    #16  
    I've had 4 phones as well, two of them actually worked fine. The 2nd one which was a loaner and i gave it to somebody else to use and this current one works fine. So two out of four. The first had battery issues, the 3rd had battery issues, rebooting, and connectivity issues when on idle resulting in accounts can't updating.

    My niece's phone bricked after wireless, my cousin's phone didnt work out of the box, my dad just told me a few days ago that his phone is getting hot not getting used and draining in 6 hours. I still have to config his phone to see if its a phone issue or him not using it right so im not counting it.

    So I got my phone, my niece's, cousin's, dads, stepmom on my data plan with all 920s.

    All together, we've gone through four defective phones with different issues. While a small sample size, still, over half the phones my family alone has experienced were defective, I can only imagine how many are out there.

    This is not OCD or people nitpicking, this is a real issue with these devices and Nokia i am sure is looking into it. I can't blame Nokia for all of this, there is blame to go to MS for the OS as well.
    jdhooghe likes this.
  17. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    #17  
    I'm sending my 3rd 920 as well.
  18. ilifecomputer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #18  
    my first unit got dust under the front camera. as in every day it was building up snow in there. 2nd unit is the same. I am suuuuuuuper ocd and can overlook the clicking body stuff, the loose home button, the yellow button backlight, etc because i love the phone. will not be exchanging for a third 920 because I realize the QC on these phones does suck. badly. that said, best wp8 there is =(.
  19. TechAbstract's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    750 Posts
    Global Posts
    754 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by wjlim3 View Post
    Mine is the same situation as Chris_Kez. Battery life initially was somewhat poor (not extremely poor), now it's good. (I have wifi, NFC, 3g on all the time and it lasts whole day of moderate usage - gaming, surfing, reading) as long as the phone was used in an area with good reception.
    Probably true for many people. Battery life was ok for first week. Then battery has been very good after that.
  20. jlynnm350z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #20  
    I'm on my 21st. The first one was like a millionth of a nanometer off as to hand to phone weight ratio. The next one, the speaker whole had a little fuzzy in it. I could go on and on. But I digress. . .
  21. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyeka Nwankwo1 View Post
    To the OP, if this one has battery problems, would you consider running some benchmarks to test whether it is a hardware or a software problem. I've been harping to people that random battery drain is not a hardware problem and will not be fixed by exchanging the phone and your case could be a good test.

    download the app, "WPbench" available here: WP Bench | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) when you have time to kill and run the battery test. This strains the CPU to max in order to drain the battery as quickly as possible. Since the CPU should already be at max capacity, any other program causing battery drain should not make any difference. Most people see times around 2 hours or so.

    If the battery lasts 2 hours then any problems are software related and won't be fixed by exchanging the hardware. My pet theory is a rouge API that continues after the app that spawned it has been shutdown which is utilized by multiple apps (hence the many skype/whatapps/nokia drive/nokia trailers killed my battery threads). If its a rouge API, a simple reboot (not reset) should be enough to clear it.

    Also, make sure to download and app like battery status http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...0-e6e95281b444. This one shows the time remaining on even the smallest tile. If time remaining is greater than a day for a reasonable charged phone then there is no battery drain. If it drops to like 8 hours(with 90-100% battery left) once you've shut down apps and have allowed the program 10-20 minutes to requery battery draw levels, it may be time for a reset.

    I really wish we had access to diagnostics like on windows phone 7 and 7.5. One of the options allowed you to see the actual current of the battery in realtime. It would be helpful in times like this. Here's what it looked like on my lumia 900.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130110_001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	26609
    I did all of that with my first 2. The battery drained before 1 hr on full charge . My #3 lasted 2:13 before portico/nokia updates. That's when it started locking up and getting battery drain .#4 is on my desk in the wrapper. I haven't srt it up due to my work schedule
  22. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #22  
    I've been using my 4th phone for over a week now and all I can say is that this is the last Nokia phone I will ever buy. #4 is heating up from just having the screen on, there light leaking through the left corner between the case and the screen about 1/2 inch of light which is bright enough to see it leaking through in a room with lights on, and the battery is ok unless I do anything. Standby is wonderful but once that CPU starts clocking the phone gets hot and the battery melts away. I'm done. Once the new crop of phone get released im jumping ship to either a better Samsung phone or an android . My 3month experience with Nokia has ruined wp8 for me so flame me all you want but I did my job and gave them 4tries. I'm not going for #5
    Also sometimes the volume buttons dont work
    Thanked by:
  23. Jari P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #23  
    Just wondering ... my last 3 Nokia phones - C5-01, N9 and Lumia 920 (portico) - all works well and none of them has ever visited any service center ... well, C5-01 is an oldest one and it does not look great any longer after spending a lot of time in my pocket with my keys ... I am very happy with my current red Lumia 920, specially its high quality videos with great voice and that great display too (it is good even in a bright sun light) ... and photos are great too, my best cam for low light photos, but also for the sun light and back light photos (when there is strong light behind the subject) ... so short summary, my next phone will be Lumia again, with WP8 - hope that it will be with a bigger sensor and maybe with Xenon flash ... and a step better Windows too ... :)
  24. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #24  
    I purchased the l920 because I fell in love with the cyan 900. But 4 phones since launch and everyone has some issue is pathetic. The light leaking through the side of the phone isn't causing an issue with the phone itself it is annoying and if I want to resell it at some time im sure I will lose money over it. I'm just disappointed with the whole situation right now. My last 2 phones came directly from Nokia and they are brand new phones. How do you ship someone phones that are damaged? .
  25. wjlim3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #25  
    Don't know why, but you seem to be always receiving terrible phones...feel sorry for your predicament.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 05:55 PM
  2. why does my L920 say NOKIA RM-821_eu_euro2_248 1.0.0.0
    By nzrocketman in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 01:24 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 01:51 AM
  4. Just received my Nokia Wireless Charging Stand (Quick Review)
    By chrgeorgeson in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
  5. Ordered my L920 from EBay, should I try a factory reset?
    By hasasimo in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions