The lack of support from pretty much everyone and the future of Windows Phone

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I love the platform. I also love the hardware of my Lumia 920. That's what makes this so difficult for me.

I have a Lumia 920, iPhone 5, and Note II. I swap between them on a fairly regular basis, but my preferred device is my Lumia.

It seems like every day, WPCentral is posting an article about a company vocally declaring that they have no intention to support Windows Phone 8. Or an article about a developer pulling support for their app.

I don't need a lot of apps. In fact, most of what I can get on WP8 is fine. I do find it rather depressing, though, that so few companies will give the platform a chance. They are waiting for Windows to gain more market share, but it can't do that without more support. Fitbit is a perfect example. I use my Fitbit every day. I can sync it with either my iPhone or (eventually) my Note II. And there are official apps for both. While it's not quite a deal-breaker for me that WP8 doesn't have it, it's more than a little disheartening that I may never be able to sync my fitbit with my phone of choice.

Sadly, this is what drives me back to using my other phones from time-to-time. I just feel like they have a better supported ecosystem. That does count for something. I have no delusions that Microsoft will give up. They really can't afford to and they're in it to stay. But how are they ever going to gain traction if no one cares enough about the platform to give it a little love?

We have like 20 lockscreen apps now. That's cool, but I'd rather have an official Dropbox app, or Pocket app. And I just feel like we'll never really see those apps. Yet I can use them on my iPhone or Note II. I remember when Pulse reader pulled their app. That's my favorite app and the only way I get my news. Fuse is a great alternative. Honestly, it's almost like having Pulse. But that doesn't change how it felt when I read the news that there would no longer be a Pulse app, one of my most-wanted apps.

I guess I'm venting more than anything, but I'd also like to know how you guys feel. Do you feel left out in the cold sometimes? Is this what it would have been like to be WebOS loyal if it had somehow stuck around? Does a missing app or an article about a company refusing to support WP8 ever drive you (even a little) toward one of the two dominating platforms?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Again, I don't care about apps. You know how I use my Lumia 920 97% of the time? As a smart PHONE.

I use it for calling, texting, calendar/tasks, email (work), internet, and social networking. All of which WP8 does very well.

It amazes me how many peoples have become "dependent" on these little off shoot apps.

Need dropbox? Why not use SkyDrive? Also, they made an app for Windows 8, so maybe WP8 will come soon.

I don't know how people think apps are so important that they'll suffer the nightmare that is Android just to have them. Craziness IMO.

I also find it foolish of those developers to drop support right when WP is starting to take off really well. And with Microsoft's ecosystem really coming together for the first time ever, they now have even more platforms to leverage on. Did you see Windows 8 sales? Bam!!! 60 million users in 2 months!!

IMO, ****'em!!!

If you're planning on keeping the 920 for the 2 year contract, then I'm sure you'll see all those apps come in that period.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know.... this is how I felt using Macintosh from '85 until the return of Steve Jobs.

And look at Apple now...

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting the believe it's just the architecture of the operating system, it's just way too limited to build apps to the quality users expect from other platforms.
Are you somehow qualified to make that statement? Don't say no, because we already know that.

Apps will come to Windows Phone. I've been with Android long enough that I remember Android Market having nothing but 3rd party shovelware. Small developers need numbers to make the investment of their limited resources worthwhile. 3% market share isn't enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

scnmip

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
our chinese 920's app store is locked to China area only! No more than this make me so angry!!!
chinese app store is garbage!!!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting the believe it's just the architecture of the operating system, it's just way too limited to build apps to the quality users expect from other platforms.

I'm fine with my Lumia920 but I doubt I will stick with windows phone beyond this product

Uh, no.

WP8 is the EASIEST to develop for. It just doesn't have the user market share to justify the cost of development.

iOS is horrible to develop for, but the usershare makes it worth it.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried learning Objective C to write for iOS. They added support for C++ too late for me to care, especially after seeing how they treat devs and apps. I was already working on Android stuff, and now that Windows Phone has been out for a bit, I've been able to read up on it quite a bit. I'm a .NET dev at heart anyways (to the point that words cannot express how much I actually enjoy writing in .NET). Android is too full and bloated with apps to make it worth it anymore. If anything, I think devs need to be jumping on board with this clean slate OS. It's a bit disheartening, but I also switched from Android because I feel the interface is getting tired and really wanted something new, simple, and fresh. WP8 delivers that, and I have a lot of faith that it will pick up just like Android did.

Sorry for the bit of rambling. TL;DR: iOS sucks for which to code, Android is old, tired, and bloated with apps, WP8 is a clean slate OS with a lot of potential. Be patient, it'll pay off just fine.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I love Windows Phone and I really enjoy using it. There are a lot of things I prefer over iOS and Android. However it does get frustrating at times.
It's terrible reading about companies leaving the platform already or deciding not to develop for WP at all and it's just too bad, it feels like they aren't giving it a chance.

My biggest issue right now isn't lack of apps, it's the quality of the apps. I've had several of the same apps on an iPhone as on my WP, and many times the WP version is a lot worse than their iOS counterpart. It feels like these devs aren't putting forth the best effort when it comes to WP, pushing out half-baked apps.

I also noticed updates for iOS versions of these apps with great new features and yet no information if the WP version of the same apps will ever get these new updates and features. I've also seen plenty of apps announced months and months ago, with still no release or information available.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Well that's only partially true

It seems like a design decision to not allow an app to initiate downloads so all of the podcast apps on windows phone suffer. Likewise it seems like a design decision to not allow file browsing or downloading of files to user created directories which may seem pretty minor but I move a lot of PDF's around for work and I can't even download one to my phone let alone send one from my phone via email. This two issues effect a myriad of design choices and development decisions that could ultimately convince a third party that development just isn't worthwhile when you are going to offer you customers and experience they may not be happy with.

This isn't about app quantity, it's about developing an app when you are faced with closed doors that hinders your design choices and abilities.

Now the positive side is that I think fixed resolutions, fixed processors types and all of the other standardization of windows phone does aid in the design process of apps but to me this isn't a discussion of apps but of the phone ability to do the things we expect from a mobile handset. I think M$ could really help the platform by opening up some doors while keeping the standardization in place.

I was an early android adopter as well and I do remember the days of a sparce and terrible google market with no angry birds, no words with friends and no INSTAGRAM!!!! and in that respect Windows Phone store has much more to offer in the way of good apps than early android handsets ever did. I just fear that some of these restrictions are more than the market can bare and really just slowing down or downright stopping the development of third party apps.

This would all be a different story if M$ decided to offer better 1st party options, if Xbox music didn't update all podcasts a day late or if the OS has some ability to manage files and documents outside of office.
iOS has app limitations as well. Our company has run into some of those blocks. ****, Apple kept block us for putting links to our website regardless of the reason. So, while yes there are some access issues (that are not needed by many apps), the language and platform is much easier to write in. While Android is more open for app development with features you mention, look at what happens, you get security issues, and overall a bloated dirty market.

Maybe Microsoft doesn't want 3rd party apps to download openable files on the phone. That could be a security risk. If its a design decision like you say it is, then there is probably a good reason for it. Not just "we block it for the **** of it."

Last edited:

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
While Android is more open for app development with features you mention, look at what happens, you get security issues, and overall a bloated dirty market.
For all the talk of security issues there's little reality to back that up. That's item one.

Item two, I don't care what app I'm searching for, there are high quality apps, most of them 1st party available on Android ahead of the shovelware. When I search for the same apps on my Lumia, much more often than not the shovelware is all that's available.

Maybe we define dirty differently, but Android and Microsoft both suffer from too much crapware in their app stores.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally fine without the 3rd party apps because it is my PHONE, not my PC. Having said that, WP8 is still missing some basic functionality (like profiles) for it's still a young OS, so I totally understand that.
Did I regret my purchase? Heck no! I love my cyan Lumia 920! :D

Kluseng

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Again, I don't care about apps. You know how I use my Lumia 920 97% of the time? As a smart PHONE.

I use it for calling, texting, calendar/tasks, email (work), internet, and social networking. All of which WP8 does very well.

It amazes me how many peoples have become "dependent" on these little off shoot apps.

Need dropbox? Why not use SkyDrive? Also, they made an app for Windows 8, so maybe WP8 will come soon.

I don't know how people think apps are so important that they'll suffer the nightmare that is Android just to have them. Craziness IMO.

I also find it foolish of those developers to drop support right when WP is starting to take off really well. And with Microsoft's ecosystem really coming together for the first time ever, they now have even more platforms to leverage on. Did you see Windows 8 sales? Bam!!! 60 million users in 2 months!!

IMO, ****'em!!!

If you're planning on keeping the 920 for the 2 year contract, then I'm sure you'll see all those apps come in that period.

Frankly, I don't think you need a smartphone. You will do fine with a feature phone. There rest of us think that apps are important. WP8 is losing out in the apps ecosystem and I don't see it catching up. Nowadays many companies release apps to access their services and they invariably support only ios and Android. There is a whole range of new localized service apps by banks, airlines, transport companies, retailers, public services, event managers, etc which WP8 is not going to get while we are still talking about essentials like Dropbox, Pandora and Instagram. Microsoft can bribe some developers but they can't bribe everybody.

I think eventually the world will standardize around two ecosystems only - ios and Android. The rest will be niche platforms. Sorry to be harsh but the writing is on the wall.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Love the phone and the os. But, I'm thinking the os itself is in trouble. I love my Lumia 920, but I'd put a big "Hold off" on any more purchases of it or another win phone for anyone. The app situation isn't shaking out very well, alas. I'll also admit to having a few second thoughts, which sucks, but lets be honest, every day is another story of someone not going to bother with developing for it. Unless this changes, this is my first and last win phone.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's far too early in the life of the OS to be claiming it is in trouble. I'd put money on Microsoft shelling out to pay the developers to get the major apps onto the OS if that ever looked like being the case.

U_SAF

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 is fine the way it is, no need of thousands of apps.. and how many apps you will use in the life cycle of your smart phone.. Lumia 920 does the job nicely.. it has all essential apps build by the owner of the OS itself.. unlike third party apps.. till now I faced only one issue with PDF app that when you open a PDF document from web, you can save it or email it.. otherwise Lumia 920 is a wonderful device and one of the best.

I am also happy the quality apps from Nokia and Microsoft are available, I also don't go beyond the top rated apps or try every app in the store. My first preferenc is Nokia and Microsoft..2nd the best rated ads free apps even if i need to pay for them.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I seem to remember when I first got the OG Droid, a lot of big name places and businesses were doing the same thing to Android that they're currently doing to WinPhone. We see how that played out. I'll hold my judgments that WinPhone is dead until I can no longer pick one up.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally fine without the 3rd party apps because it is my PHONE, not my PC. Having said that, WP8 is still missing some basic functionality (like profiles) for it's still a young OS, so I totally understand that.
Did I regret my purchase? Heck no! I love my cyan Lumia 920! :D
I'd be fine without the 3rd party apps too, it's the 1st party apps developed by the website or service themselves that people want.

I know what you meant, you don't have a lot of interest in apps on your phone, just realize that you are in a very small minority of smartphone users. Most people that are buying these pocket computers want apps. Lots and lots of high quality 1st party apps for all of the things that they like to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte