920 Screen Won't Turn On After Call

Why0Why

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since the Portico update, when I go to hang up the screen will not come back on, if I press the power button, the screen comes back on for not even a second. It is a major problem. If someone doesn't answer I can not end the call many times and I am leaving blank messages on their voicemail. Today I had to call my office and we have an automated attendant where you have to type in an extension and I couldn't get the screen to come on to use the numpad. I had to call back 3 times until it came on for a second with me constantly cycling the power button until I could get the numpad clicked.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Post Portico update, my 920 isn't what it used to be either. When I view pictures I've taken, I have to see them in portrait mode. Landscape was killed by Portico. So was texting and my bar code reader is a distant memory. On your issue, my screen is a bit whack too. I didn't notice it until today. If I hold the phone to my ear, the screen goes dim as it should. If I pull it back and look at it, it remains black. I can't say I'm going to keep doing Nokia. It is a constant disappointment. Pretty much since the 900.

Why0Why

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This morning when the alarm went off the screen was black. I have tried messing with the auto brightness. When I turned it off the phone worked properly for awhile and then went back. I am going into the AT&T store and see what they can do.

I have been a Windows 8 ****** but I am really frustrated with this phone. It also stopped working with the bluetooth in my car and I can't get it to work. I have tried everything I can think of. I used the bluetooth every day.

If I can't get a fix I may just get a Note 2, I was using the first Note and I really liked it except for the lag and then new one seems to have taken care of them with the increase in RAM and a faster processor.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Since the Portico update, when I go to hang up the screen will not come back on, if I press the power button, the screen comes back on for not even a second. It is a major problem. If someone doesn't answer I can not end the call many times and I am leaving blank messages on their voicemail. Today I had to call my office and we have an automated attendant where you have to type in an extension and I couldn't get the screen to come on to use the numpad. I had to call back 3 times until it came on for a second with me constantly cycling the power button until I could get the numpad clicked.

Is anyone else having this issue?
I have it and got a new Lumia 920 after talking to ATT

megablok2

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here. The moment I tap on the "call (work or mobile or home)", the screen turns off. It will not turn back on until the call has ended.
It is selective when it does that. This occurs on most calls - not all though.
If you are calling corporate numbers and have to choose an extension, good luck with that! :angry:
Doing a warranty exchange with ATT.

janarnemoen

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. It render the phone useless. I've even tried one of those hard reset. I didn't help!

I reckon I'll have to take it back to the shop. Aaaarrrghhhh! :angry:

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
A forum search indicates that this is often caused by a dirty proximity sensor. Cleaning the front of the phone sometimes fixes the issue. It seems that skin oils from your face can cause the sensor to misbehave. In extreme cases, a blast of compressed air under the front glass through the ear speaker has been needed to clear lint from the sensor.

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar issue. When I go to hang up the phone the screen no longer turns on. I have to hit the power button so that I can end the call. At least I don't mute the phone every 10 seconds like I did with the stupid iPhone screen

Evan Harlan

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem,

Just blow some air from one of those keyboard duster cans in the aux jack and it fixes it right away.

It cleans the proximity sensor off and the phone works like new.

Good luck

Mark3dyn

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Another data point.. I was having the same issue earlier this week, which was annoying. I tried a few of the different suggestions, blowing air, wiping the screen with a cloth, pressing on one corner or another, etc. I do have a screen protector on my phone, one because I was thinking I might return it before the 14 day trial, two, because the protector is matte finish versus the glossy screen. I noticed that the screen protector had slipped, ever so slightly to the right, and a very small amount of the circle for the front facing camera was covered. Nothing was covering the proximity sensor, but I figured I'd realign the screen protector just to see what happens. I was actually able to just shear it over by pressing down and sliding, back to the centered point. I figured it would do nothing, but I've had no problems since then, which was two days ago. Is there a chance that the proximity sensor works with the front camera? Maybe the sensor sends out a signal and bounces back to the camera, or something like that. Mine doesn't seem to have any dust in it, so maybe the dust issue could be relative to both the sensor and the lens? It seems to me the dust issue could be resolved by plugging the headphone jack with simple rubber plug of some sort. I don't use headphones with mine, so maybe I'll craft something to go in there. ( I'm sure there must be numerous reasons why this lock issue is coming up, just wanted to share my (current) solution.

elyodeel

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had a screen protector on my 920 since the day I got it, and I have no dust in the camera. Today, the screen started turning off when I called someone and it would not turn back on. I screwed around with it for a while and finally just did a power cycle by shutting it off normally. And now the phone works as it should. This is so strange, I'm wondering if it is hardware in some cases and software in others.

Xela Ceey

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I sure do, exactly the same stupid problem. My phone even began to sound some sort of alert-alarm noise as if it was a submarine running out of air. You know the noise I mean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss