Thumb pain for right handers stretching to the Back button

Jeffs256

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm taking up the low tech solution from another thread on disabling the chronically annoying Search button - sticking a piece of electrical tape over it!

BUT the bigger lurking problem is the pain I'm already getting in my right thumb and wrist from constantly reaching to the far left bottom edge of the wide 920 to hit the 'Back' button. Is anyone else suffering from the poor location of the most commonly used button in Win7/8?
Obviously the 920's width is the factor here; I've happily used the L610 for months without any problems, but the 920 has done the damage in just 2 days!

Remapping/disabling options for the bottom trio of buttons is critical. I'd happily cope with just a central Back button - the other two seem to create more problems than they solve!

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem reaching it, and I don't have very long fingers... I do agree that MS should at least allow ppl to disable the "search" button - I never use it except when I touch it by accident, which still happens pretty often :-/

Jeffs256

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
With apologies to Apple, yep just a single button. Using the home button stacks up open apps, which eventually ends in tears. Another experience is holding the 920 left-handed and trying to hit the back button! You left-handers should be squealing!

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I say start transitioning yourself to 2-handed operation. Every "big" phone has some sort of similar problem nowadays. I for one absolutely hate the lock button placement on the iPhone 5 where it's right up the top of the device. I have to stretch my index finger just to reach it, so I just use my other hand when I need to lock it.

Jeffs256

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You're right - the big Windows phones are doomed to 2 handed operation. Surely the usability studies would have tracked the most frequently used button and positioned it at a reasonable ergonomic location? No doubt those buttons are hard-coded deep in the bowels of Win 8, so I'm single-handedly dusting off my Lumia 610. C Ya

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
wow. has the forum reached an all-time low when someone makes a thread about thumb cramps from pressing the back button? i mean, how many times do you have to keep pressing the back button to get a thumb cramp? all i can do is LOL.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Those 3 button on the bottom have to go... no reason to have them there. They can adopt the UX to a "all swipe" paradigm .. (cough... harmattan..and I saw that Ubuntu are doing now as well.. sailfish.. ) and that way they can get rid of them.. and they can finally put the damn screen in the middle of the phone, where it should be hah

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I say start transitioning yourself to 2-handed operation. Every "big" phone has some sort of similar problem nowadays. I for one absolutely hate the lock button placement on the iPhone 5 where it's right up the top of the device. I have to stretch my index finger just to reach it, so I just use my other hand when I need to lock it.
Eh, I almost never used it on my previous iPhones, except when I needed to reboot them... I just let them fall asleep "naturally" (Auto-Lock set to 1 minute always worked perfectly) and there's no need to use this button to wake them up ;-)

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Here are a couple of suggestions you can try to help you alleviate your problem:
  • Use your left hand
  • Use both of your hands
  • Wear a thimble and set high sensitivity on
  • Balance the phone on your pinkie for looser grip, greater reach
  • Use the phone upside down
  • Ask a passer-by to assist
  • Use your nose for the back button

ask a passer-by to assist.....lmao! good one

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I use my 920 one handed, I will grasp the phone deeper in my palm. Its just enough to activate the back button with my pinky. It feels alot more secure than the aforementioned pinky balancing technique. Actually works pretty well regardless of how awkward it seems, though I wonder if my large hands are enabling me.

Quin 2013

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm taking up the low tech solution from another thread on disabling the chronically annoying Search button - sticking a piece of electrical tape over it!

BUT the bigger lurking problem is the pain I'm already getting in my right thumb and wrist from constantly reaching to the far left bottom edge of the wide 920 to hit the 'Back' button. Is anyone else suffering from the poor location of the most commonly used button in Win7/8?
Obviously the 920's width is the factor here; I've happily used the L610 for months without any problems, but the 920 has done the damage in just 2 days!

Remapping/disabling options for the bottom trio of buttons is critical. I'd happily cope with just a central Back button - the other two seem to create more problems than they solve!

Try using your left hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)