Facebook messages - yes on Lumia 800 (WP7,5), no on 920 (WP 8) ??!!

AndreasKj

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
There is only so much I will take from the Nokia/Windows Phone team before I get tired of the hype. I jumped ship from Android because I got tired of my phone rebooting and/or not working properly. Yes, apps are fun and so arae widgets, but they have to work. iPhone is too expensive and too boring, even though I own an iMac, iPad and an Apple TV.

That live tiles only update every 30 minutes and apps have to be started every 14 days is a little weird and annoying, but good on battery I guess. But now for the "fun" part, Facebook messages. I have read in other threads that Windows Phone 8 has a problem with this, or at least Nokia 920. This, I have found, is true. It works sporadically, not to mention IM+ that works even worse.
I have done some testing and found this:

When using my wife's Lumia 800 I can send a Facebook chat that my Lumia 920 picks up...sometimes (in the Messaging Hub). The Live Tiles updated it.
Sometimes my Lumia 920 shows up as "offline" even though it is online.
Using the FB website chat, that is, receiving messages from FB chat never works on my 920, although a few of my friends messages came through, but far from all.
Lumia 800 Messaging Hub always get its Facebook chats.

It seems to me that there is something wrong with WP 8, which is annoying because since when do phone upgrades take away functionality?

Any solutions, friends?

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problems as you've stated. I've given up on FB chat and have started to use Skype as my chat program. At first, it did not work like FB chat, but since the recent update it has worked flawlessly. I get toast notifications. I get live tile updates. As SJ would have said, "It just works". It may not be the answer your looking for, but Skype is working pretty good for me right now.

AndreasKj

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Ironically, I had to remove Skype since it messed up all my other accounts (endless sync cycle). Also, FB is working much better since I figured out that the main problem was Wifi shutting down when the phone did/lockscreen (pre-Portico). Whn on HSDPA it works much better. I just never thought of this coming from Android but these forums helped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas