Disheartened by lack of support and this is what I do/did so far for Windows Phone

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
While we have an excellent thread going here - http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...retty-much-everyone-future-windows-phone.html, reading through the posts and looking at the results, I realised one thing.

What can end users do to change this? or more precisely can we do anything AT ALL? We've thrown our money for this. Some of us like me, have thrown their money more than once, since last two years and that is not out of just love, but also out of desperate hope that we are bringing the platform further.

It will be a good idea to ponder and gather some ways in which may be we can go an extra mile and be seen. We often see threads where users (including myself) often email devs, tweet companies and moan on this boards about getting more supports, better apps and releasing apps. Is there anything that has worked? Do you personally do something else as a part of your job, as your daily routine to push the platform?

I wanted to see what sort of efforts other end users have put in so far for this continuous lack of support even after 2 years and 3 months of Windows Phone.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
all I do is email the developer, and the ones that do answer they all have the same statement. 'If WP8 gains more users I will do the app'

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Spread the word. WP isn't the right OS for those that need to jump on whatever app is trending on any particular day, nevertheless, many can and do appreciate what WP has to offer. Reaching that market share, where it is worthwhile developing for WP, is achieved one user at a time.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, and publicly ridicule any company that is incapable of maintaining a mobile website that works well with mobile IE.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Just today at work, I was sitting in a meeting waiting for it to start, and 2 of my coworkers were talking about their iphones and "what else can apple even do for a smartphone?"... so I quietly pulled out my phone and set it down on the table.. without saying anything.. took them a few minutes to realize it and then one said "Hey! Is that the new Nokia phone with windows 8? How do you like it?"... So it may not be much and just 2 people... but I spread the word a little and planted a seed.. something they may keep an eye out for now... but never the less they recognized the phone when it was turned off and didn't assume it was an android device..

so small things to spread the word as well as emailing developers and encouraging others to do the same (there are lots of posts in the marketplace apps forum on this site where people talk about developers they've emailed). I sometimes email developers of apps that I know are popular but I don't even use... just to push a bit more for the OS.. imagine if everyone from here was emailing and posting on support forums.. developers would see the response..

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly how it works. WP is still too new, too different. By owning one, you're exposing yourself, just by being different. Particularly in the cryptic world of tech, running with the pack feels a lot safer. At this point, those with WP devices are trend setters.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Or for people who need to download a pdf or that want to store any files on their phone or that want to schedule podcast downloads.

I just think it's funny when people get this "Apps are petty" attitude when WP8's shortcomings are not just a lock of apps.

Yeah that's an interesting point. There doesn't seem to be a way to interact with WP dev team at Microsoft.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just think it's funny when people get this "Apps are petty" attitude when WP8's shortcomings are not just a lock of apps.

And I think it is funny when people fail to grasp simple points. I can easily add another 50 shortcomings to your three point list. Every OS has shortcomings. Every OS has strengths and weaknesses. My point was only, that the lack of access to presently trending apps is the main issue for most people thinking about WP...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I was on my people hub and saw a posting by Laridian makers of the pocket bible for windows mobile and iPhone and palm os bible apps and they are wanting beta testers for pocket bible for windows phone. I am very very excited about this development I haver been asking them repeatednly about this and its in the tube.

Last edited:

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been on the WP bandwagon since day one. But recently I have been exposed to some new Android devices and frankly I think Microsoft lost a year in the process of rewriting WP8 as both iOS and Android are leaving WP in the dust. IPhone 5 is ridiculously fast and Android is fast and has Google Now which is amazing. And contrary to what some bloggers want to think apps do matter. Recently I canceled all my Google accounts and no longer use Google Reader. So I'm trying to find an alternative that can sync my news between my WP7.5 and Surface. The only news app that I found that supports both platforms is News360 but that app is buggy on the Surface. My first choice is Pulse but there's no WP7.5 version (or WP8?) There's Zite on WP but none on Surface. Bottom line I cannot find a good Google Reader alternative. Which brings me to the conclusion that in the end it doesn't matter if you have Live Tiles or Kids Corner or the best phone camera on the world. Right now I can't even find a simple news reader service that can sync between my Surface and WP. So yeah, apps matter. I have until November before I can upgrade and right now I'm not sure I am sticking with Windows Phone. I want to but I also want a phone/tablet ecosystem that can deliver what I need. And right now Windows Phone isn't doing it.

gerbilly

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Text it is your choice and if it suits you switch. But as a former Mac ******:grin: I got bored rotten with iOS, it hasnt changed in 7 years and is dull.
Sure things work on it ok, but it aint any quicker than my previous Sony phone (Android) or my new 920.
My wife has the galaxy note 2 and I previously had the xperia S and they are decent phones but I do not like android and how the apps seem to use up all the memory. Not enough can be transferred to SD cards and with many now not doing them anymore and having them inbuilt this was an issue for me.
WP is a clean, simple and interesting OS and I am very happy with it, unlike Nokia who are annoying me by producing a great phone but not providing any bloody accessories you can actually buy!!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
..., unlike Nokia who are annoying me by producing a great phone but not providing any bloody accessories you can actually buy!!!

hmmm... You do realize that Nokia has no say in what merchandise your local retailers choose to stock, right?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the WP bandwagon since day one. But recently I have been exposed to some new Android devices and frankly I think Microsoft lost a year in the process of rewriting WP8 as both iOS and Android are leaving WP in the dust. IPhone 5 is ridiculously fast and Android is fast and has Google Now which is amazing. And contrary to what some bloggers want to think apps do matter. Recently I canceled all my Google accounts and no longer use Google Reader. So I'm trying to find an alternative that can sync my news between my WP7.5 and Surface. The only news app that I found that supports both platforms is News360 but that app is buggy on the Surface. My first choice is Pulse but there's no WP7.5 version (or WP8?) There's Zite on WP but none on Surface. Bottom line I cannot find a good Google Reader alternative. Which brings me to the conclusion that in the end it doesn't matter if you have Live Tiles or Kids Corner or the best phone camera on the world. Right now I can't even find a simple news reader service that can sync between my Surface and WP. So yeah, apps matter. I have until November before I can upgrade and right now I'm not sure I am sticking with Windows Phone. I want to but I also want a phone/tablet ecosystem that can deliver what I need. And right now Windows Phone isn't doing it.

What about Weave, Fuse, Wonder Reader?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It is widely agreed that there are VERY few alternatives to the Google Reader platform for aggregating a customized RSS feed list across varying platforms and is about the only Google service that is this way.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Weave for Windows 8 (and RT) is coming. From a Tweet from the developer:
This is good news. Currently I replaced Wonder Reader, a Google RSS reader, with the free version of Weave. I'm using Weave on my Windows Phone and Pulse.me on my Surface. If Weave comes out for Surface or Pulse comes out for WP that solves my personal dilemma.... Today we saw good news from Nokia that they have plenty of WP. Hopefully developers will take notice and start supporting our platform. I love WP and I want it to succeed. I also want to have access to all the latest and greatest apps. Oh, and Microsoft needs to fix Xbox Music to be just as good as Zune. Time will tell. My time runs out in November.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Today we saw good news from Nokia that they have plenty of WP. Hopefully developers will take notice and start supporting our platform.

I fear we are still far away from that point. Lumia sales volume was sufficient to keep Nokia's head above water in Q4 2012. Keeping their heads above water during Q1 2013 will require yet more Lumia sales, as Symbian continues to dwindle. Those sales are good enough for Nokia, but still nowhere near where WP needs to be.

Better 3rd party platform support will likely require at least four to five times the sales Nokia reported for Q4 (assuming Nokia's market share of WP device sales remains constant).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte