XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: In what ways other than money did you try to find support for Windows Phone

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • I straight away email/tweet/facebook developers

    36 37.89%
  • I try to do my own sales pitch at work

    30 31.58%
  • I get my company/friends/relatives to push for certain apps

    12 12.63%
  • I've given my money. What more do you want?

    49 51.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
Like Tree21Likes
  1. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    While we have an excellent thread going here - The lack of support from pretty much everyone and the future of Windows Phone, reading through the posts and looking at the results, I realised one thing.

    What can end users do to change this? or more precisely can we do anything AT ALL? We've thrown our money for this. Some of us like me, have thrown their money more than once, since last two years and that is not out of just love, but also out of desperate hope that we are bringing the platform further.

    It will be a good idea to ponder and gather some ways in which may be we can go an extra mile and be seen. We often see threads where users (including myself) often email devs, tweet companies and moan on this boards about getting more supports, better apps and releasing apps. Is there anything that has worked? Do you personally do something else as a part of your job, as your daily routine to push the platform?

    I wanted to see what sort of efforts other end users have put in so far for this continuous lack of support even after 2 years and 3 months of Windows Phone.
    wpn00b likes this.
  2. eortizr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    all I do is email the developer, and the ones that do answer they all have the same statement. 'If WP8 gains more users I will do the app'
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  3. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Spread the word. WP isn't the right OS for those that need to jump on whatever app is trending on any particular day, nevertheless, many can and do appreciate what WP has to offer. Reaching that market share, where it is worthwhile developing for WP, is achieved one user at a time.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  4. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Oh yes, and publicly ridicule any company that is incapable of maintaining a mobile website that works well with mobile IE.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  5. narv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    308 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Just today at work, I was sitting in a meeting waiting for it to start, and 2 of my coworkers were talking about their iphones and "what else can apple even do for a smartphone?"... so I quietly pulled out my phone and set it down on the table.. without saying anything.. took them a few minutes to realize it and then one said "Hey! Is that the new Nokia phone with windows 8? How do you like it?"... So it may not be much and just 2 people... but I spread the word a little and planted a seed.. something they may keep an eye out for now... but never the less they recognized the phone when it was turned off and didn't assume it was an android device..

    so small things to spread the word as well as emailing developers and encouraging others to do the same (there are lots of posts in the marketplace apps forum on this site where people talk about developers they've emailed). I sometimes email developers of apps that I know are popular but I don't even use... just to push a bit more for the OS.. imagine if everyone from here was emailing and posting on support forums.. developers would see the response..
  6. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by narv View Post
    snipped
    That is exactly how it works. WP is still too new, too different. By owning one, you're exposing yourself, just by being different. Particularly in the cryptic world of tech, running with the pack feels a lot safer. At this point, those with WP devices are trend setters.
    wpn00b, rockstarzzz and tositem like this.
  7. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneZone View Post
    Or for people who need to download a pdf or that want to store any files on their phone or that want to schedule podcast downloads.

    I just think it's funny when people get this "Apps are petty" attitude when WP8's shortcomings are not just a lock of apps.
    Yeah that's an interesting point. There doesn't seem to be a way to interact with WP dev team at Microsoft.
  8. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneZone View Post
    I just think it's funny when people get this "Apps are petty" attitude when WP8's shortcomings are not just a lock of apps.
    And I think it is funny when people fail to grasp simple points. I can easily add another 50 shortcomings to your three point list. Every OS has shortcomings. Every OS has strengths and weaknesses. My point was only, that the lack of access to presently trending apps is the main issue for most people thinking about WP...
    Jastow likes this.
  9. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Yeah that's an interesting point. There doesn't seem to be a way to interact with WP dev team at Microsoft.
    windows phone user voice website.

    It's a mess, but Microsoft regularly states that they monitor the feedback collected there.
    rockstarzzz and wpn00b like this.
  10. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,648 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I was on my people hub and saw a posting by Laridian makers of the pocket bible for windows mobile and iPhone and palm os bible apps and they are wanting beta testers for pocket bible for windows phone. I am very very excited about this development I haver been asking them repeatednly about this and its in the tube.
    Last edited by jfa1; 01-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.
  11. textomatic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    I've been on the WP bandwagon since day one. But recently I have been exposed to some new Android devices and frankly I think Microsoft lost a year in the process of rewriting WP8 as both iOS and Android are leaving WP in the dust. IPhone 5 is ridiculously fast and Android is fast and has Google Now which is amazing. And contrary to what some bloggers want to think apps do matter. Recently I canceled all my Google accounts and no longer use Google Reader. So I'm trying to find an alternative that can sync my news between my WP7.5 and Surface. The only news app that I found that supports both platforms is News360 but that app is buggy on the Surface. My first choice is Pulse but there's no WP7.5 version (or WP8?) There's Zite on WP but none on Surface. Bottom line I cannot find a good Google Reader alternative. Which brings me to the conclusion that in the end it doesn't matter if you have Live Tiles or Kids Corner or the best phone camera on the world. Right now I can't even find a simple news reader service that can sync between my Surface and WP. So yeah, apps matter. I have until November before I can upgrade and right now I'm not sure I am sticking with Windows Phone. I want to but I also want a phone/tablet ecosystem that can deliver what I need. And right now Windows Phone isn't doing it.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  12. gerbilly's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Text it is your choice and if it suits you switch. But as a former Mac fanboy I got bored rotten with iOS, it hasnt changed in 7 years and is dull.
    Sure things work on it ok, but it aint any quicker than my previous Sony phone (Android) or my new 920.
    My wife has the galaxy note 2 and I previously had the xperia S and they are decent phones but I do not like android and how the apps seem to use up all the memory. Not enough can be transferred to SD cards and with many now not doing them anymore and having them inbuilt this was an issue for me.
    WP is a clean, simple and interesting OS and I am very happy with it, unlike Nokia who are annoying me by producing a great phone but not providing any bloody accessories you can actually buy!!!
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  13. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbilly View Post
    ..., unlike Nokia who are annoying me by producing a great phone but not providing any bloody accessories you can actually buy!!!
    hmmm... You do realize that Nokia has no say in what merchandise your local retailers choose to stock, right?
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  14. crazeee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneZone View Post
    Yeah stupid android stealing all the memory, I'm glad WP8 doesn't just use up gigs of your memory without asking and no way to reclaim it!!
    That's incorrect on many levels.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  15. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by textomatic View Post
    I've been on the WP bandwagon since day one. But recently I have been exposed to some new Android devices and frankly I think Microsoft lost a year in the process of rewriting WP8 as both iOS and Android are leaving WP in the dust. IPhone 5 is ridiculously fast and Android is fast and has Google Now which is amazing. And contrary to what some bloggers want to think apps do matter. Recently I canceled all my Google accounts and no longer use Google Reader. So I'm trying to find an alternative that can sync my news between my WP7.5 and Surface. The only news app that I found that supports both platforms is News360 but that app is buggy on the Surface. My first choice is Pulse but there's no WP7.5 version (or WP8?) There's Zite on WP but none on Surface. Bottom line I cannot find a good Google Reader alternative. Which brings me to the conclusion that in the end it doesn't matter if you have Live Tiles or Kids Corner or the best phone camera on the world. Right now I can't even find a simple news reader service that can sync between my Surface and WP. So yeah, apps matter. I have until November before I can upgrade and right now I'm not sure I am sticking with Windows Phone. I want to but I also want a phone/tablet ecosystem that can deliver what I need. And right now Windows Phone isn't doing it.
    What about Weave, Fuse, Wonder Reader?
  16. ololmarc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worlds-smallest-violin.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	26537
    mrshamoozoo and wpn00b like this.
  17. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by textomatic View Post
    I've been on the WP bandwagon since day one. But recently I have been exposed to some new Android devices and frankly I think Microsoft lost a year in the process of rewriting WP8 as both iOS and Android are leaving WP in the dust. IPhone 5 is ridiculously fast and Android is fast and has Google Now which is amazing. And contrary to what some bloggers want to think apps do matter. Recently I canceled all my Google accounts and no longer use Google Reader. So I'm trying to find an alternative that can sync my news between my WP7.5 and Surface. The only news app that I found that supports both platforms is News360 but that app is buggy on the Surface. My first choice is Pulse but there's no WP7.5 version (or WP8?) There's Zite on WP but none on Surface. Bottom line I cannot find a good Google Reader alternative. Which brings me to the conclusion that in the end it doesn't matter if you have Live Tiles or Kids Corner or the best phone camera on the world. Right now I can't even find a simple news reader service that can sync between my Surface and WP. So yeah, apps matter. I have until November before I can upgrade and right now I'm not sure I am sticking with Windows Phone. I want to but I also want a phone/tablet ecosystem that can deliver what I need. And right now Windows Phone isn't doing it.
    It is widely agreed that there are VERY few alternatives to the Google Reader platform for aggregating a customized RSS feed list across varying platforms and is about the only Google service that is this way.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  18. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,655 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,720 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    What about Weave, Fuse, Wonder Reader?
    Weave for Windows 8 (and RT) is coming. From a Tweet from the developer:
    Seles Games ‏@SelesGames @lak611 hi Laura, thank you for your kind words! Weave for win8 is in development :)
    wpn00b, snowmutt and rockstarzzz like this.
  19. textomatic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Weave for Windows 8 (and RT) is coming. From a Tweet from the developer:
    This is good news. Currently I replaced Wonder Reader, a Google RSS reader, with the free version of Weave. I'm using Weave on my Windows Phone and Pulse.me on my Surface. If Weave comes out for Surface or Pulse comes out for WP that solves my personal dilemma.... Today we saw good news from Nokia that they have plenty of WP. Hopefully developers will take notice and start supporting our platform. I love WP and I want it to succeed. I also want to have access to all the latest and greatest apps. Oh, and Microsoft needs to fix Xbox Music to be just as good as Zune. Time will tell. My time runs out in November.
  20. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by textomatic View Post
    Today we saw good news from Nokia that they have plenty of WP. Hopefully developers will take notice and start supporting our platform.
    I fear we are still far away from that point. Lumia sales volume was sufficient to keep Nokia's head above water in Q4 2012. Keeping their heads above water during Q1 2013 will require yet more Lumia sales, as Symbian continues to dwindle. Those sales are good enough for Nokia, but still nowhere near where WP needs to be.

    Better 3rd party platform support will likely require at least four to five times the sales Nokia reported for Q4 (assuming Nokia's market share of WP device sales remains constant).
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  21. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    572 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I fear we are still far away from that point. Lumia sales volume was sufficient to keep Nokia's head above water in Q4 2012. Keeping their heads above water during Q1 2013 will require yet more Lumia sales, as Symbian continues to dwindle. Those sales are good enough for Nokia, but still nowhere near where WP needs to be.

    Better 3rd party platform support will likely require at least four to five times the sales Nokia reported for Q4 (assuming Nokia's market share of WP device sales remains constant).
    What about the other WP devices? We still haven't heard from HTC or Samsung on how their sales are going.
    Residing and rockstarzzz like this.
  22. Residing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jfa1 View Post
    I was on my people hub and saw a posting by Laridian makers of the pocket bible for windows mobile and iPhone and palm os bible apps and they are wanting beta testers for pocket bible for windows phone. I am very very excited about this development I haver been asking them repeatednly about this and its in the tube.
    Good news! There is another Bible App that I had on my N8, and I e-mailed the developer who is planning on developing for WP, but can't right now due to a tiny addition to their family :). It's called MeeBible - super extensive with many translations. And free with no ads.

    I found the Laridian FB page, and clicked on their link to the beta - Lol! It's a Google group and you need a Google id. I went ahead and signed up since I had an old YouTube account. We'll see how things go.
  23. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #23  
    I put my lumia on h&m counter while paying for my sweater and a staff member called another showing him "this is lumia" - people are noticing it :)
  24. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,152 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    I had my phone out at Starbucks and I heard people talking "that's the new Lumia windows phone, pretty sick looking" :)
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  25. robmif76's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin792 View Post
    I had my phone out at Starbucks and I heard people talking "that's the new Lumia windows phone, pretty sick looking" :)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I put my lumia on h&m counter while paying for my sweater and a staff member called another showing him "this is lumia" - people are noticing it :)
    If people are so dying to see "a lumia" why don't they just go to a phone shop?!?! or are they meant to be an indicator of all the great things that are coming on to WP?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 158
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM
  3. This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn
    By saintforlife in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 01:17 PM
  4. Lack of enthusiasm and excitement at the AT&T store
    By feizai77 in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions