4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. drg
    drg is offline
    drg's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I've read a few posts here and there of people with really good battery life but mine was never that good. I also just got a wireless charger and found my battery has been worse since so I read some other posts and one suggested a soft reset - hold volume down and power key and wait for it to vibrate 3 times. And so I did that and my battery is ridiculously good!!! Before you go ahead and do this though read my warning below. Also I haven't received the Portico update yet here in Australia.

    But to give you an idea of how good it is, I charged it on the wireless charger over night and at 7:30am I took it off the charger and hardly used it just checked some emails and quick read of WPCentral. I get on the train at 9am and notice the battery is still at 100%!! I thought this was an error because I've never seen this 100% before but anyway it has now started to drain so I don't think it was an error. I used it for half hour on the train ride surfing the net and what ever else. By 10am on usual days my battery is usually around 60-65%. This morning at 10 is was at 80%. At about 10am as well I upgraded my phone plan to 4G (LTE) and had to do a normal reset and usually I lose 5% each time I do a reset and this time it stayed at 80%. I've been using it a fair bit with 4G enabled and now at 11:30am it's at 70%. This is all with not even 1 days testing so I'm not sure if it will stay like this but I can definitely see a huge improvement so far after the soft reset so thought I'd put this out there for others to give a go.

    I do have a warning though. My mate who has an international Lumia 920 had flashed the Belgium Portico ROM and he did a soft reset and he can't see any new messages. He receives a notification of the message and when he clicks on it it opens the Message hub but the message is not there. I thought it was very odd that this would happen after a soft reset but he'll be flashing a different ROM soon so hopefully he gets that sorted out, but a soft reset could do something funky to your phone if you've flashed ROMS yourself so I'm just giving a heads up here as well.
    Rewovener likes this.
  2. jedwardmiller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Well, ever since I disabled google sync (manual or automatic) I have noticed a huge improvement.

    12 hours since last charge and not even 50% gone.
    Sent from my Cyan Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
  3. drg
    drg is offline
    drg's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Ok confirmation my battery is now killing it. I did this test once before. Charge phone before going to bed. Leave it off charge for the night and in morning it was down to like 60%. I did it last night and this morning it was at 99%.
  4. zipro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    278 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,177 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by LudoGris View Post
    Well, ever since I disabled google sync (manual or automatic) I have noticed a huge improvement.
    Sure, it's just that push email is the main reason why I have a smartphone.
  5. Rewovener's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I have just tried my first soft reset. So far (ie previously), battery life has been ok but hardly outstanding (about 24 hours with minimal usage and even location off, NFC off).

    Going to turn some of the stuff back on and see how it goes.
  6. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,105 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    Sure, it's just that push email is the main reason why I have a smartphone.
    Heh, yeah. Never really understand of disabling stuff on their smartphones to save battery. Kind of defeats the purpose. Naturally there are things like NFC and Bluetooth that you don't need on 24/7 and are fast to turn off when you need them.

    That said the battery life for me has been fine. Always lasts one day that is what i need and with more moderate use i can just about make it last 2 days. The kind of battery life i expect from modern smartphone.
  7. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,006 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Im regularly getting 3 days out of a single charge with medium usage. Very impressed.

    Just a pity where's my water\perry can kill such a good battery in 1.5 hours.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
  8. agarcia59's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    I'm sorry, what exactly does holding the power key & volume down do? Does it disable push email?
  9. Rewovener's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Im regularly getting 3 days out of a single charge with medium usage. Very impressed.
    Wow, the day that I can get close to that, I'll be over the moon. Very impressive.
  10. kirthan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by agarcia59 View Post
    I'm sorry, what exactly does holding the power key & volume down do? Does it disable push email?
    it soft resets the handset, if im not mistaken
  11. drg
    drg is offline
    drg's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    holding the volume down and holding the power button until you feel it vibrate and reset 3 times is called a soft reset which is apparently like taking the battery out and putting it back in again, which we can't do on our Lumia 920's.
  12. killzone killzo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by drg View Post
    I've read a few posts here and there of people with really good battery life but mine was never that good. I also just got a wireless charger and found my battery has been worse since so I read some other posts and one suggested a soft reset - hold volume down and power key and wait for it to vibrate 3 times. And so I did that and my battery is ridiculously good!!! Before you go ahead and do this though read my warning below. Also I haven't received the Portico update yet here in Australia.

    But to give you an idea of how good it is, I charged it on the wireless charger over night and at 7:30am I took it off the charger and hardly used it just checked some emails and quick read of WPCentral. I get on the train at 9am and notice the battery is still at 100%!! I thought this was an error because I've never seen this 100% before but anyway it has now started to drain so I don't think it was an error. I used it for half hour on the train ride surfing the net and what ever else. By 10am on usual days my battery is usually around 60-65%. This morning at 10 is was at 80%. At about 10am as well I upgraded my phone plan to 4G (LTE) and had to do a normal reset and usually I lose 5% each time I do a reset and this time it stayed at 80%. I've been using it a fair bit with 4G enabled and now at 11:30am it's at 70%. This is all with not even 1 days testing so I'm not sure if it will stay like this but I can definitely see a huge improvement so far after the soft reset so thought I'd put this out there for others to give a go.

    I do have a warning though. My mate who has an international Lumia 920 had flashed the Belgium Portico ROM and he did a soft reset and he can't see any new messages. He receives a notification of the message and when he clicks on it it opens the Message hub but the message is not there. I thought it was very odd that this would happen after a soft reset but he'll be flashing a different ROM soon so hopefully he gets that sorted out, but a soft reset could do something funky to your phone if you've flashed ROMS yourself so I'm just giving a heads up here as well.

    Play a game of Wordament or Texas holdem poker or fire up the navigation for like 15-20 minutes. Tell me how much your battery drops then.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
  2. Forced edge network when on wifi (super battery life)
    By EliteMikes in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
  3. My battery life seems to be awesome
    By ninjaap in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

";