Lockscreen timeout

Jorgen Amrud Hagen

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Is the lockscreen really supposed to timeout after just 10 seconds?

I cant understand all the hype with live updates of pictures, weather etc on the lockscreen if the screen goes black after just 10 seconds?

When using the phone with the wireless charging dock, it would be nice to have a "live" screen, that is locked with a password at the same time. There might be an app that does this, but shouldnt this be what the lockscreen is supposed to do?

Thargoid

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings > Lock Screen then to "Screen times out after..." and change it.

Personally I have mine set to "Never" so I can just do it manually via the on/off/sleep button on the side, but then mines normally plugged in charging on my desk most of the day.

Jorgen Amrud Hagen

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

However, isnt the "Screen times out after ..." used for the main screen time before going to lockscreen? I have tried every option in the list, and the lockscreen goes black after 10 seconds, regardless of selected option.

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Is the lockscreen really supposed to timeout after just 10 seconds?

I cant understand all the hype with live updates of pictures, weather etc on the lockscreen if the screen goes black after just 10 seconds?

When using the phone with the wireless charging dock, it would be nice to have a "live" screen, that is locked with a password at the same time. There might be an app that does this, but shouldnt this be what the lockscreen is supposed to do?

I don't quite understand what you're wanting. It's a "lock" screen meaning it's a brief splash screen when the phone is locked (as in not in use). The notifications available on the lock screen are very minimal (off the top of my head it's just weather / battery status in addition to normal social and phone notification icons), stuff that won't need a glance longer than 10 seconds. If you're after more in-depth on-the-go information that's what the live tiles are for.

I'm not defending WP8 design or anything, god knows I have my fair share of complaints about it, but this borders on ridiculous. It's a lock screen not a notification center.

Jorgen Amrud Hagen

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not defending WP8 design or anything, god knows I have my fair share of complaints about it, but this borders on ridiculous. It's a lock screen not a notification center.

Must be nice to know what everybody else needs. :)

All I say is that if you could configre the timeout/dimmer of the lockscreen you would increase the value of the lockscreen and eliminate much of the need for 3rdparty Nightstand apps etc. Why not work as a lockscreen and a notification center.

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Must be nice to know what everybody else needs. :)

All I say is that if you could configre the timeout/dimmer of the lock screen you would increase the value of the lock screen and eliminate much of the need for 3rdparty Nightstand apps etc. Why not work as a lock screen and a notification center.

Then you need to focus your thoughts on a notification center. There's enough of us asking for it and Microsoft has already admitted that they had planned on including a notification center for WP8 but they ran out of time before release, so I believe it's coming.

Microsoft admits it 'ran out of time' on Windows Phone 8 notification center | The Verge

But if what you're asking for is a combined lock screen and notification center then that's a whole new suggestion, and maybe one that would warrant a lock screen timeout setting of its own. But as it stands, with the limited functionality of the current lock screen (it's just a lock screen, not a notification center at this point) asking for a longer lock screen timeout borders on ridiculous.

P.S.
Yes it is nice :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire