920 Continuing battery drain issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello new to the forum.

I've had my 920 for over a month now and have had nothing but issues with it. The first week or so was great, but I soon notices the battery behaving erratically, than the phone started to lockup repeatedly. I downloaded the update a few weeks back and it seems to have fixed the freezing issues, but the battery is draining off randomly, sometimes 30% 50% or more an hour, and that's with everything in the background turned off, including NFC. What are my options? is Nokia dealing with this issue? I also have the dust issue with the sensor. I can live with that, but am afraid it will eventually interfere with the sensor and prevent it from working. I had a 900 before this phone and regret paying full list for the 920, I honestly want my 900 back at this point.

Any input is much appreciated.

Andy.

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
For me, the battery has been great ever since I turned off the auto brightness on the screen. I set it to low instead, and its made it so much better. Could be worth a try. Also, I changed my emails to only come through every hour

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
30% to 50% in an hour is way over the top. I drain mine *upto* 20% an hour watching videos and even I think it's poor performance. If you haven't let your battery completely discharge yet, I'd say try that. I've read up about it and a lot of sources say completely discharging lithium-based batteries on a regular basis will reduce its lifespan, but doing it every now and then helps the battery calibrate and condition itself (even Apple officially advises a full discharge/recharge cycle on the iPhone5 each month).

Also here's a list of things that will *definitely* help out your battery when they are disabled:
GPS (location)
Internet sharing
Bluetooth
NFC (tap and send)
find my phone (app push installation and save phone location)

Also disable connecting to both Xbox Live and Xbox Music, they're easy enough to toggle on and off if you really need to connect sometimes. Also, under Settings > Applications, under background tasks make sure you block every single app that you don't require to run in the background. Only leave apps on the background if you're utilizing their live tiles for something that's absolutely crucial to you. The most common culprits to battery drainage are newly-installed apps that have activated background agents silently sapping battery power for no benefit to the user. If you have Nokia Drive, uninstall it.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Everything is turned off, I used the battery discharge and it seems to help for a few days, than battery life goes crazy. Honestly what use is this phone if I can't even use it? I mean Nokia drive is a great app, but?? Will Att allow me to exchange my 920 for something different, like an htc? From reading that forum the 8x doesn't seem to have as many issues as the 920. Maybe I'll move to a droid phone, I'm not the type to stick with one brand, I simply want reliability.

Reylas

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Everything is turned off, I used the battery discharge and it seems to help for a few days, than battery life goes crazy. Honestly what use is this phone if I can't even use it? I mean Nokia drive is a great app, but?? Will Att allow me to exchange my 920 for something different, like an htc? From reading that forum the 8x doesn't seem to have as many issues as the 920. Maybe I'll move to a droid phone, I'm not the type to stick with one brand, I simply want reliability.

Like you, a battery discharge would work for a couple of days for me then go right back. After another user asked me to try turning off the top two settings in the Xbox music settings, I have had great battery life (1%-1.5% idle). Have you tried that yet? It is working for some. May not work for everyone, but it did for me.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I did they told me to send the phone in so they can look at it, I may do just that. I'll be without my phone for sometime however.:unhappy:

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If you want "reliability" then switching to an Android-based phone would be a wrong choice... At least in my experience. iPhone would be a better choice, though the latest one seems to also suffer from decreased battery life, especially after latest iOS update. Seems like the quality went downhill for every smartphone brand/platform recently... Anyway, like people have already said, contact Nokia and request a replacement. If the replacement will also be defective - request a refund and try different model (by HTC).

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had battery problems as well. Ended up sending mine back to nokia for a replacement. It arrived there today.

Now, I wait.

Some people have great battery life. Some have terrible battery life. I've seen posts where users are on their 4th lumia and still complaining about battery life.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
OK I received my replacement phone from att Saturday, the phone looks new and has no visual defects. However with everything in the background, and all other settings turned off, this phone has had four episodes of power drain while on standby. Each time the power dropped between 20% to 50% an hour.

My understanding at this point is fact. The 920 and WP8 both have serious issues. Some have suggested that a 10% (which was a complete guess) failure rate is somehow acceptable. If any automotive company had failure rates this high, it would be the end of that company. Nevertheless each of the two phones I've had are suffering from the same issues thus far. This equals a 100% failure rate for myself. At this point It should be apparent that the 920 is a complete failure!! The 900 was a much better overall phone in every way!!!!! Who care about a camera anyway, that's what DSLR's are for.

Yes I'm venting, and no this post will not solve any of the issues I have with this POS phone. All I can hope for, is a few looking for a new phone will read this post and save themselves the trouble and buy something other than a 920. I would recommend the 900 to anyone looking for a WP. The 900 is stable, reliable, durable and has excellent battery life, I can not say the same for the 920 in any way.

I will be keeping this phone until march when I'm eligible for an early upgrade. The replacement will not be a Nokia, and likely not a WP. This has been my experience, take from it what you will.

Andre.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Just want to know if this is normal. I was listening to a song on Metrotube, left the screen on low after 18 minutes of listening the battery drained from 56% to 17%. Does that sound about right? I was thinking yes do to constant music and the screen being left constantly on even on low brightness but 40% in 18 minutes is kind of high! Anyone agree?

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just a random suggestion, but after the Portico update, I was getting lower perceived battery life, so I charged my 920 to full, let it stay on the charger for an extra hour or so, then did a factory reset. Barring a rogue app or something, I tend to get better battery life (or so it seems, at least).

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just want to know if this is normal. I was listening to a song on Metrotube, left the screen on low after 18 minutes of listening the battery drained from 56% to 17%. Does that sound about right? I was thinking yes do to constant music and the screen being left constantly on even on low brightness but 40% in 18 minutes is kind of high! Anyone agree?

I don't think that was WP8 or 920's fault, but Metrotube's. There are some strange bugs in it. I wouldn't use it. It didn't drain the battery all the time, it happened couple of times and I haven't used it since. The phone got very hot and drained the battery almost empty in relatively short time. I actually now just use the mobile.youtube.com. It's not perfect but works fine enough and I can stream hours without worrying about battery.

PBNkapamilya

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
OK I received my replacement phone from att Saturday, the phone looks new and has no visual defects. However with everything in the background, and all other settings turned off, this phone has had four episodes of power drain while on standby. Each time the power dropped between 20% to 50% an hour.

My understanding at this point is fact. The 920 and WP8 both have serious issues. Some have suggested that a 10% (which was a complete guess) failure rate is somehow acceptable. If any automotive company had failure rates this high, it would be the end of that company. Nevertheless each of the two phones I've had are suffering from the same issues thus far. This equals a 100% failure rate for myself. At this point It should be apparent that the 920 is a complete failure!! The 900 was a much better overall phone in every way!!!!! Who care about a camera anyway, that's what DSLR's are for.

Yes I'm venting, and no this post will not solve any of the issues I have with this POS phone. All I can hope for, is a few looking for a new phone will read this post and save themselves the trouble and buy something other than a 920. I would recommend the 900 to anyone looking for a WP. The 900 is stable, reliable, durable and has excellent battery life, I can not say the same for the 920 in any way.

I will be keeping this phone until march when I'm eligible for an early upgrade. The replacement will not be a Nokia, and likely not a WP. This has been my experience, take from it what you will.

Andre.

Ya need a chill pill, man.

First off, NEVER trust the Nokia 920's battery percentage calculations. The only thing you can trust at this point is a stopwatch actually timing how long a full cycle lasts.

"However with everything in the background"

There's your problem. Background apps can and will drain your battery. Choose which background apps are really necessary for you. Also, internet.

And sorry. I'm still planning on buying a 920 once it gets here in the Philippines. I sort of expect the battery to not last a whole day, anyway. That's what the wireless charger is for.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Though some people may have hardare issues, I relly believe a lot of the battery issues are software related. Mine has been outstanding lasting a long day and still having 30 to 50% charge left at the end of the day. Yesterday I ran some apps I normally did not run, and exited out of them using the back arrow, but I noticed my battery was draining a lot faster and I ran low around 10pm.This morning I saw it draining to 94% in less than an hour. I usaully show 100% for the first few hours of the day. I did not show anything running in the background, so I did a quick soft reset and my battery is back to normal. It has been 3 hours and my phone is still at 100%. I really believe some applications keep running something in the background and eat up the battery.

bit2in

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue from the beginning. I exchanged the 1st one because I was still on the 14 day trial period. The exchanged phone has the same problem but the trial period was over so I have to deal with the problem myself. The battery is very erratic, it can drain 20% in an hour without using it. All the APPS are either off or blocked. I upgraded the software when it was available because it includes battery management. That did not work, so my option was to call Nokia. Nokia recommended that I send the phone for analysis which I did. 2 weeks past, I received the phone & the letter attached states that they didn't find any fault at all. Called them again having the same issue. They want me to send the phone back again, meaning another 2 weeks of no phone ( what kind of another analysis are they going to do after they said that that didn't find fault the first time?). I decided to call Nokia Care & they said they're going to send me a new phone. The following day, I received an email from Nokia with a tracking number form UPS for 2 days shipment. I was happy but was short live. On the day that it was supposed to be delivered, I check the tracking number online. I was shock to see that it was delivered to another person in another state. Called Nokia to ask them what happened but cannot explained. They were going to looked at it & will call me back. After 2 days, they call back & will be sending me another phone. Here am I waiting for Nokia to email me another tracking number. They will be giving me an extra wireless charger for being patient, they said. It's sooooo frustrating. I have to charge it at least 3 times a day & I hardly use it. I had nothing but iphones for the last 5 years & never had a battery issue. Used it all day & at the end of the night, I still have 50% of battery left. I hope Nokia & Microsoft is really looking at this problem. It's draining the juice fast, something is going in the background even when all of the APPS are off or BLOCKED. It's been only 2 months & if I have the same problem with the replacement, I'm buying me a Samsung S3. I can replace the battery with a higher capacity & it's also stable. I was going to buy the S3 but the Nokia's camera was the deal breaker because I like taking pictures. GRRRRRRRR

Last edited:

Padmasali

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
For me WIFI is a problem... it drains battery quickly, on Stand-by time battery lose 10%-15% per hour... even wifi is not available and wifi icon is on it drain battery quickly upto 10%+... in last 2 day i turn off wifi and switch on if only needed... this method give more battery usage than before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3